Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
large backfire, now it won't run. (Read 382 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: large backfire, now it won't run.
Reply #15 - 07/07/08 at 19:39:16

The fuel tank is made of light (thin) ((Cheap?) metal which im my case started leaking. had to do a coating job.  Sounds like you may need to clean out the tank, and which point you probably should coat with kream or similar treatment.  Good luck and keep us posted.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/07/08 at 23:13:59

I keep hearing about fuel problems, enough so that I am considering pulling & emptying the tank, checking the internal screen, having a good look down in there & generally trying to head off these problems. Since everything is polluted with ethanol ( except me, dangitt) maybe coating the tank before it develops metal cancer would be a good idea. I've wiped Ospho on steel plate that wasnt rusted & left it for 3 days & it turns black as night, maybe that would be a good thing to use. Downing it for 3 days, tho.. I dunno,, what a downer

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/08/08 at 05:14:47

Well, I put the fuel filter on last night, and cleaned the carb again (including the float screen this time.)  everything seems to be running great now with no issues. I rode in to work this morning with no problems.  Thanks everyone for all the guidance.
I think you guys are right about the tank cleaning. Hopefully the fuel filter will continue to help me out as far as gunk getting into the carb, but i'm sure its gettin nasty in the tank and in the petcock. I'll look into doing that when i get some time.
Thanks again,
Brandon

IP Logged
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/11/08 at 05:33:31

AHHHHH, its back......
Its been riding perfect all week. I went to fire it up to come to work this morning, and it did the exact same thing. Started shooting gas out of the nipple on the right side of the carb and wouldn't stay running. I cleaned the whole carb thoroughly on monday, and installed a fuel filter, so i don't think anything is gunked up in there.
I loosened the screw and drained the gas out of the bowl in the carb this morning. Then tried to fire it up again. As soon as the bowl filled back up, it started spewing gas out of the nipple again.  Same as before, it won't stay running unless i keep it at least 1/4 throttle. Even then it sputters and tries to die..........
I'm gettin pretty frustrated with this thing. Is there supposed to be some kind of hose/line on that nipplee on the carb?, because there hasn't been anything on it since i baught it...

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #19 - 07/11/08 at 05:42:38

If those nipples are the ones angled up, one on each side, then, YES, there should be hoses on them.  Those are the overflow outlets.  I'm not sure if NOT having the hoses on messes with how they work.  Someone else will know though.
What it sounds like to me is a float valve that isn't working right.
Bowl fills up, float rises and closes valve to incoming gas line.
If that valve doesn't close, gas goes out the overflow tubes.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/11/08 at 05:51:16

Ok, so there are two overflow tubes. yeah, the one on the right side just doesn't have a line on it, but thats an easy fix. I don't think thats the problem at all though.
What you are saying makes perfect sense and that has to be it, but i took the float and slide out on monday and cleaned them very well.... they were moving very freely. I guess i'll try taking the bowl off again, without removing the carb, and seeing if the float is perhaps stuck again.  What should i do if that is the problem and it just keeps getting stuck? get a new slide?
Thanks for your input youzguys

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #21 - 07/11/08 at 06:37:57

youzguyz wrote on 07/11/08 at 05:42:38:
What it sounds like to me is a float valve that isn't working right.
Bowl fills up, float rises and closes valve to incoming gas line.
If that valve doesn't close, gas goes out the overflow tubes.

Yup. Make sure there is no gunk on the float needle or seat. Also make sure the float does not have a leak, make sure there is no fuel IN the float. If there is, you need to replace the float. And check the float adjustment specs.

07 S40
  IP Logged
Ian
YaBB Newbies

1995 LS650, 2008
FLHRC

Northern Virginia
Reply #22 - 07/17/08 at 10:55:02

Anyone have a part number for a recommended fuel filter (the see-through kind)?  i thought i saw one on another thread but can't find it.

IP Logged
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/17/08 at 11:10:41

You don't really need a part number. If you go to any parts store they should have one. I went to CarQuest, but anywhere should be good. Just tell them you want a clear fuel filter to fit 1/4'' fuel line. Carquest had 2 different sizes. I got the larger one in hopes that it would last longer before i had to change it.

IP Logged
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Reply #24 - 07/17/08 at 12:17:33

What can be done to help prevent the tank from rusting and gunk building up in the carb? Sea Foam in every gas tank?

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #25 - 07/17/08 at 12:46:07

If you live where they use ethanol added fuel the seafoam has even more alcohol in it which is counterproductive in my opinion. I ride 9-12 months a year (so mine doesn't sit a lot)  and the inside of my tank has soft rust colored stuff in it. I do use seaofam but only a couple times a year.

!!Warning, now going Off topic, WA is moving toward ethanol based fuels as we grow lots of plants here that that be brewed to make booze. In my learned opinion ethanol from plants is a very expensive way to "lessen our dependence on foreign oil", as lots of fuel of some kind is used to prepare the soil, plant the seed, fertilize it, water it, harvest it and then use more energy to boil it and condense the booze and haul the mash away for animal (cows mostly) feed stock. Because it has less BTU's per lb. than gasoline, we burn more of it to move our rigs from A to B. Bio-diesel does make sense as a non-food plant can be used to provide the oil from pressing and the leftovers are still usable as animal food base. Better yet the license plate frame on my bagger says " 50 MPG and one less car" End of rant. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › large backfire, now it won't run.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.