Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
large backfire, now it won't run. (Read 382 times)
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

large backfire, now it won't run.
07/05/08 at 06:20:35

well I had gotten all my issues worked out on my 98 until yesterday on the way home. Going about 55 I let off the gas to slow for a light. Bang!! One loud backfire, then when rpm's came down to idle the bike shut off. It will now start up and run, but only if I keep it at least at 1/4 throttle, and even then its stumbling some. Soon as I let off it dies. I don't have any clue..... It was running perfectly before. Any ideas??
thanks guys, happy 4th

IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Re: large backfire, now it won't run.
Reply #1 - 07/05/08 at 06:44:35

sounds to me like your pilot jet got clogged. caused it to go way lean, gave you the howitzer, now it's not feeding any fuel. the 1/4 throttle is about where the main jet starts working. Sounds like its time to tear open the carb and go nuts cleaning! just be careful to not get cleaner on the diaphragm. If that turnes out to be the problem, you may want to think about installing a fuel filter if you haven't already.
While you're in there, it's a good idea to replace the 4 wimpy screws that hold the top of the carb on with bolts. It just makes it easier to tear into it later Wink

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 07/05/08 at 06:47:50

How is the carb set up on your bike, and what were the issues you were working out?  In other words, what changes have you made lately?  I'm not likely to be the guy with the answers, but when he comes along, I'll bet he's going to ask you that.  You might as well include it here now to save some time later.

EDIT.  Oops.  He came along while I was typing.  Disregard me and my rambling.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/05/08 at 07:08:26

Well I was having mid-range running issues which I was able to clear up by cleaning the carb and removing the white spacer. It has been running perfectly for about 2 weeks until this. I suppose it could be a clogged pilot jet, that would make sense. I guess your right, its time to tear the carb apart again.......ughhhh

IP Logged
bruno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/05/08 at 10:10:08

what size are the allen bolts for the top and bottom of the carb and where's the best place to find them .

IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #5 - 07/05/08 at 11:42:35

My 04 has cheap phillips screws. just take out what you have to Home Deposit or unLowes and match em up. If mine were hex heads I'd leave them.  Just my 2 cents  Wink
Good Luck

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
slyfoxS40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island, NY
Reply #6 - 07/05/08 at 12:27:04

Brad_THMP3R wrote on 07/05/08 at 11:42:35:
My 04 has cheap phillips screws. just take out what you have to Home Deposit or unLowes and match em up. If mine were hex heads I'd leave them.  Just my 2 cents  Wink
Good Luck

IMHO I would support a local hardware store as in a True Value or Ace for the phillips screws instead of one of those big box places. The local hardware stores give better personal assistance, unfortunately  Sad many have closed due to the big box.

blue '07 new biker grandma
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 07/07/08 at 06:45:15

Just as a "what-if" .....  you might want to check the compression.

Check the sparkplug color while you have it out too.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/07/08 at 07:19:31

Well, Yesterday I pulled the carb and cleaned everything up really nice. The Fuel in there was a nasty rust color, even after cleaning the carb out only a few weeks ago.  I'm assuming this is due to rusting on the inside of the tank. I'm going today to get an in-line clear fuel filter to add in.
Anway, after cleaning out and putting the carb back together. The bike ran fine yesterday up and down the street a few times. I figured it was fixed and everything was good. Well this morning i went out and realized that i had left the key on and the battery was dead. I put the charger on it for a bit.  Then it fired up, but after a few seconds, started sputtering, and fuel started POURING out of the carberator. I couldn't tell where it was coming entirely but i know some was coming out of the carb vent tube. I know it wasn't doing this yesterday on my test ride because i inspected it thoroghly afterward and even let it run for about 10 minutes with no problems/leaks. I didn't have time to look at it this morning, so i jumped in the truck and came to work.  I'll inspect closer when i get home, but does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?
Thanks

IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #9 - 07/07/08 at 07:22:21

I am no expert mechanic but I had that happen once and it turned out to be the float needle was sticking. Perhaps some tank rust is keeping it open?

IP Logged
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/07/08 at 07:30:38

yeah, that could be it. The fuel does look pretty nasty. I have a feeling i'm going to have to put that fuel filter on thier, then clean the carb AGAIN. The good news is, I think i can have the whole carb apart, cleaned, and back together in about 30 minutes now.
Back to the drawing board. I'm loving this savage, but at this point i'm really wishing it was fuel injected........

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/07/08 at 09:06:40

Jackhammer wrote on 07/07/08 at 07:30:38:
yeah, that could be it. The fuel does look pretty nasty. I have a feeling i'm going to have to put that fuel filter on thier, then clean the carb AGAIN. The good news is, I think i can have the whole carb apart, cleaned, and back together in about 30 minutes now.
Back to the drawing board. I'm loving this savage, but at this point i'm really wishing it was fuel injected........

And you'd rather be cleaning fuel injectors?

Make sure you drop the float valve screen and clean out the crud that builds up.

WWW   IP Logged
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/07/08 at 09:41:19

verslagen1 wrote on 07/07/08 at 09:06:40:
Jackhammer wrote on 07/07/08 at 07:30:38:

Make sure you drop the float valve screen and clean out the crud that builds up.

Thanks Verslagen,
That is somethingi did not do last time i had it apart. Is this something i can do without taking the carberator completely off the bike?  I'm assuming once I take the cover off and get the float out, it right there underneath?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/07/08 at 11:22:16

Jackhammer wrote on 07/07/08 at 09:41:19:
Thanks Verslagen,
That is somethingi did not do last time i had it apart. Is this something i can do without taking the carberator completely off the bike?  I'm assuming once I take the cover off and get the float out, it right there underneath?

I too opted not to change it out last time I had it apart so I'm not exactly sure how other than it does come out (something about a f'ing $35 part and it's working just fine why mess it up)  And I believe that it may be causing the issue I'm having now.  As I need to run on res all the time.  I've made this recommendation many times but haven't heard whether it was useful to do or not.  I'm all set to get parranoid about it soon (some long trips and I'll want to have reserve available) so I should work on it shortly and confirm for myself.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 07/07/08 at 15:08:00

It's a good bet the fuel tank needs to be cleaned. That nasty-looking fuel in the carburetor came from the tank. By way of the petcock and screen, so they need to be cleaned too. It won't get easier if you put it off. Running on RESERVE probably makes it worse, because all the crud settles to the bottom of the tank, just where RESERVE gets its fuel.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:26:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › large backfire, now it won't run.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.