Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken clutch perch (Read 126 times)
Starzuki
YaBB Newbies

Is today your day?

Broken clutch perch
07/04/08 at 22:23:03

First, don't ask. I don't know how, but when I was tightening my spedo cable nut I managed to shear about half of the clutch perch mount off of the bike. This made it so the clutch could basically move off the perch leaving it practically useless.

I was able to "McGuyver"  a piece of clotheshanger around both the clutch nut and the spedo cable as sort of a quick fix, but wanted to get suggestions to see if there were any others who had this issue.

I see that the clutch perch is part of the cast block and could be welded. Has anyone tried JB Weld or the like on a repair like this?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Broken clutch perch
Reply #1 - 07/05/08 at 15:08:34

Sounds like a major pain in the neck.  Unfortunately, all I can offer is sympathy.  I'm no metal worker at all.

I'd like to hear more about how it broke, though.  That way maybe I can avoid duplicating your predicament in the future.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #2 - 07/05/08 at 18:02:36

are you talking about the little tab that hold the end of the cabe in? if so i broke mine awhile ago, and it hasnt moved.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Starzuki
YaBB Newbies

Is today your day?

Reply #3 - 07/05/08 at 21:15:21

I'll snap some pics just to clear the water. I've put about 100 miles on since the incident, but its been working just fine.

Long story short, I was tightening the lower spedo cable nut with a pair of pliers and torqued the clutch cable and mount enough to shear about half of the tab off. I'm not sure if it was halfway there already or if I'm just that strong (not likely). I think I may have just finished what was started long ago. I figure I'll just paint the wire I've got on it now and look OEM.......sorta.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 07/05/08 at 21:38:03

Pictures would be good.  I must be thinking of the wrong spot.  If it's where the speedo cable goes into the transmission, I just finger-tighten that.  I know I'm not strong enough to break it with two fingers.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 07/06/08 at 02:34:39

A pal of mine has an '86 LS with the same problem ... we were doing an oil change on it last week and I discovered that the lower clutch cable mount was broken ... fixed it with 2 zip-ties ... one horizontally around both the clutch and speedo cables, securing the clutch cable tightly into the broken perch and the second wrapped vertically around the first and the broken mount ... works perfect!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:17:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken clutch perch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.