Correct jetting (Read 186 times)
northshore_paul

Keep it
simple....less to
break!

South Louisiana
Correct jetting
07/03/08 at 19:53:55

I just received Lancer's jets in the mail today and will be installing them this week-end. I will install a stock Harley Dyna muffler and will add a high flow air filter...what jet should I install first and hopefully last so that I will have optimum performance with my exhaust and air filter and yet still get good MPG?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Correct jetting
Reply #1 - 07/03/08 at 23:34:08

I would go in steps and start with the 150 or 152.  Keep an eye on the plug and don't let the header turn blue.  I've heard some say they didn't need a big change while others said they needed plenty.  I think the key is where did you get your dyna? from a new HD or an old one?

Another clue is how loud is it?  real loud might indicate no back pressure and needs big jet.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 07/03/08 at 23:50:14

This jetting business is not difficult to do, but I'm finding it difficult to understand.  I had a 47.5 pilot and a 155 main.  Bike ran fine.  I hollowed out my stock muffler and the thing backfired, loud and often.  So I put in a 50 pilot.  As far as I know, that's the next size up?  Now my mileage has gone from 52 mpg to 43 mpg.  The pipe is turning gold, and I'm getting occasional much louder backfires.  Like bomb blasts.

I have the air/fuel screw out about 3/16 turn.  I had it out 3 turns with the old jet.  Can't seem to find a happy medium.  I've ordered a new Jardine slip-on, so I'll see what happens when that goes on the bike.  At this point, I'm thinking I'll be back at the smaller jet.  I bought this beast for the mileage, after all.

Good luck to you on yours.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
pcsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/16/08 at 18:39:21

I would like to hear what others have to say.  I have 96 that I wanted to make a little louder too.  I didn't particuarly like the Mr Economical sound, so I had the local dealer put on a Harly pipe and rejet.  He said the Harly Dyna wide glide pipe was the same as the sportster and had one there so I said okay.  He then took the stock main jet out and replaced it with a 155.

My problem is now that he did that it has started backfiring again and has a tendency to idle a little low.  It was fine for about a week and now I'm having some troubles.  In addition my fuel mileage sucks.  My dad is getting like 70 mpg with his stock 04 and mine is not even close to that.  I'm considering trying to find a stock pipe since my old one is no good and putting the stock jets back in.  Any thoughts???

Thanks

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 07/16/08 at 20:52:48

I have a question as well. Exactly where on the pilot jet is the size stamped? If I am reading it correctly, I have 52.5 as a pilot. I have a 152.5 main.

I thought my pilot was the 45 or 47 so I was gonna go to a 50 or 55, but if I am correct in what I was reading, a 50 would be down jetting and I can't do that because of the Lancer performance cam I have installed.

So, can someone please tell me exactly where the size stamp on the pilot jet is? The number I read is on the side of the jet, I know the size for the main is stamped on the head.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/17/08 at 08:42:09

I have the dyno jet kit stage one. I bought the tapered screamin eagle and discolored with a 144 main jet placed in. I also had trouble sealing the leak from the muffler because it was to wide for the pipe. I have a take off that the custom shop sold me and I sealed the leak finally. the 144 caused gun shot back fire and quite often. sooo I am running the 146 mainjet, the jet kit pilot jet which I believe is the needle in the diaphram right? anyways more high end power, but the idle is just a tad off, but not so bad that it will die when I come to a stop. some, infrequent and mild backfire. However I was told that some backfire or some discoloration cannot be avoided. for discoloration use BLUEJOB which can be purchased online or custom shops, and a while of rubbing.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 07/17/08 at 08:54:11

Quote:
I have a question as well. Exactly where on the pilot jet is the size stamped?

On my set from lancer the size appears stamped into the top of the main jets. A magnifying glass and the right light helps. On the pilot jet it was stamped on the stem.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 07/17/08 at 17:13:47

Then I was reading it correctly and what I have in there now is a 52.5. I just ordered a 55 from my local stealership and it should be in sometime next week.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #8 - 07/17/08 at 19:48:07

Every bike is different but here is what I have to help you get started:

95 Savage
KN air filter
Gently used Dyna take off