Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two things I've heard (Read 195 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Two things I've heard
07/03/08 at 07:34:27

I've read somewhere while trying to get a savage that the s40s have some type of counterbalance to reduce the vibrations that the single cylinder was causing in Savages, and that savages don't have them.  Did this start in 2005 i guess?  Do these, if they are real, work very well to reduce vibration?

I also read somewhere that savages were designed for a european market where there is a HP restriction for new riders.  Since this was an 'entry' cruiser, they purposefully reduced the HP with the restricting carb and exhaust. (not to reduce emissions, but to consciously reduce HP).

Are either of these true? I can't even remember where I read them.

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: Two things I've heard
Reply #1 - 07/03/08 at 07:41:52

About the reduction in HP I agree,just have a look up the exhaust port.

Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 07/03/08 at 07:56:42

From the old board of Bert's in Germany, yes they did restrict Savage HP with a restrictor plate that could be removed once you moved up to the next license rate. It could easily be done with the tube or plate that adapts the carb to the head. They have fairly strict vehicle inspections there so they probably wouldn't change the restriction until it was legal. Big singles are more about torque than HP anyway.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #3 - 07/03/08 at 08:24:39

All Savage/S40 engines have a counterbalance built into the crankshaft.  It does greatly reduce the amount of felt vibration.

As for the carb and exhaust restrictions, for the European market, possibly, yes.  For the American market, no.  The original factory setup ran very rich (55 pilot 155 main) and the bike has no inherent pollution controls.

To meet EPA clean air standards, Suzuki reduced the carb jetting on bikes after 1988.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 07/03/08 at 08:43:18

And to conclude this topic: there is/was a sleeve in the carburator to reduce the HP. Only read this in the German forum, never seen it in Holland.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/03/08 at 08:53:06

Concluded.

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/03/08 at 09:04:11

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 07/03/08 at 08:24:39:
All Savage/S40 engines have a counterbalance built into the crankshaft.  It does greatly reduce the amount of felt vibration.

As for the carb and exhaust restrictions, for the European market, possibly, yes.  For the American market, no.  The original factory setup ran very rich (55 pilot 155 main) and the bike has no inherent pollution controls.

To meet EPA clean air standards, Suzuki reduced the carb jetting on bikes after 1988.

To meet EPA requirements I had to install a electronic ignition module on a 68 Vdub bus.  The savage already has one of these.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/03/08 at 09:59:46

verslagen1 wrote on 07/03/08 at 09:04:11:
skrapiron -FSO wrote on 07/03/08 at 08:24:39:

To meet EPA requirements I had to install a electronic ignition module on a 68 Vdub bus.  The savage already has one of these.   Grin

Versalgen, are you serious about the VW matter?  Your 68 is exempt from smog inspection, so why did you have to add the module?  I brought a 1971 Wolseley in through US Customs, which had no smog anything anywhere on the car, and the EPA nor CA got involved concerning emissions controls due to the age of the car.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/03/08 at 18:11:10

Arthur wrote on 07/03/08 at 09:59:46:
verslagen1 wrote on 07/03/08 at 09:04:11:

Versalgen, are you serious about the VW matter?  Your 68 is exempt from smog inspection, so why did you have to add the module?  I brought a 1971 Wolseley in through US Customs, which had no smog anything anywhere on the car, and the EPA nor CA got involved concerning emissions controls due to the age of the car.

Pretty sure it was a 68 type 1 vw camper.  one of very few.  And I got it about 1980 (cobweb are mity dense back there) and it needed to be smogged at the time.  Had a choice of this electronic ig module or some other crap.  The eim was easy so I did that.  If I had a 67, it wouldn't need anything.  That's a moving requirement, so if you got yours later it wouldn't need it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:21:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Two things I've heard

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.