Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S40 Head/Taillight bulb size (Read 134 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

S40 Head/Taillight bulb size
07/02/08 at 20:08:10

Hello!  I could not seem to find the actual size of the headlight or taillight for the s40.  I could only find the wattage, i'm interested in upgrading the headlight bulb and led taillight.  Anyone know?

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Re: S40 Head/Taillight bulb size
Reply #1 - 07/02/08 at 21:01:02

You want an H4 ST headlight...and the package will say for motorcycles.  Nice and bright...

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 07/03/08 at 04:03:12

I agree on the headlight.  But the ST indicates it is a Sylvania Silver Star.  Very difficult to find in my little neck of the woods.  Any H4 will fit your bike.  I'm running a 100w/85 watt from NAPA.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/03/08 at 04:53:03

Wal-mart seems to stock the Sylvania SilverStar H-4 bulb in my neck of the woods, but my Wally is a Superstore (half grocery store) size.  

Wally does different depending on the size and region of your local store though.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #4 - 07/03/08 at 05:23:49

I got mine at AutoZone. I'm very happy with it - huge difference from stock.

As for the taillight, I have an '88 which uses a regular filament bulb (2397)... I didn't know the new ones have LEDs, though.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #5 - 07/03/08 at 05:26:16

The LED tail lights can be brighter than standard filament bulbs, but LEDs are highly directional lights.

The Savage/S40 uses a reflector setup in the tail-light assembly to amplify the overall brightness of the lamp.  Because of its directional nature, the LED will actually illuminate LESS and be harder to see.

The brightest bulb you can get for the tail-light assembly is a 2397 dual filament bulb.  VERY bright compared to the stock one.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/03/08 at 07:57:57

Thanks for the info.  Smiley

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #7 - 07/03/08 at 08:31:01

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 07/03/08 at 05:26:16:
The LED tail lights can be brighter than standard filament bulbs, but LEDs are highly directional lights.

The Savage/S40 uses a reflector setup in the tail-light assembly to amplify the overall brightness of the lamp.  Because of its directional nature, the LED will actually illuminate LESS and be harder to see.

The brightest bulb you can get for the tail-light assembly is a 2397 dual filament bulb.  VERY bright compared to the stock one.

I wasn't sure if they made different led tail lights or what. If you're talking about the one that plugs into the light socket then be ready to be disappointed.. It's far less bright than a stock bulb. (Been there, tried that and returned it to Pep Boys)
If you want a brighter brake light go to auto zone and get the #2397 stop/tail bulb. The tail light is about the same brightness as stock but the brake filament is much brighter..  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:30:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 Head/Taillight bulb size

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.