Royal
YaBB Newbies

Ride like the Devil,
he's gaining on you.

Kansas and Texas
Re: Gas Tank Capacity
Reply #15 - 07/04/08 at 10:52:47

SuziQ:
 I can't remember the last time I was in Canada if the gas stations sold fuel in gallons, liters, (or Imperial gallons). My 2008 S40 gas tank holds 10.5 Liters or 2.8 gallons with the 2.5 L-0.6 gallon reserve. The tank has a filler neck that extends down into the tank a ways to allow for fuel expansion. You should never fill the tank to the top of the tank
 Oil is 1.9 US quart without filter and 2.1 with.  Isn't it great to buy stuff than never takes an even amounts of anything-either liters or quarts or gallons?........

IP Logged
Royal
YaBB Newbies

Ride like the Devil,
he's gaining on you.

Kansas and Texas
Reply #16 - 07/04/08 at 11:07:41

One other thing. Depending on modifications and the way you ride a rule of thumb could well be- If I have to switch to reserve I only have about 1/2 gallon of fuel left so I SHOULD be able to go about 20 to 25 miles. Which way should I go so I have to walk the least or which way am I most likely to hitch a ride by going. Over the years I discovered that with very little planning ahead the only time I ever ran out of fuel was when I forgot to switch the valve back from reserve. Shocked

IP Logged
Dragon_Heart
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/04/08 at 15:26:35

Savagers, What do you think about using Synthetic oil instead of regular oil during oil change? My Savage is due for an oil change.  Thanks much for your reply.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #18 - 07/04/08 at 15:41:48

Synthetic works just fine.  Almost 4000 synthetic miles on mine, now.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #19 - 07/04/08 at 17:16:04

Dragon_Heart wrote on 07/04/08 at 15:26:35:
Savagers, What do you think about using Synthetic oil instead of regular oil during oil change? My Savage is due for an oil change.  Thanks much for your reply.

here we go again.................................ye haw  

i prefer colgate  before the plastic teeth
arid x dry
two ply butt wipe
black ink

like oil  these things all have one common trait.    personal preference.  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #20 - 07/04/08 at 17:27:33

sluggo wrote on 07/04/08 at 17:16:04:
... i prefer ... two ply butt wipe...

like oil  these things all have one common trait.    personal preference.

wrt the butt wipe -- I've never seen a "you gotta stock up for the emergencies" that mentions stocking up on butt wipe.  Should keep a few dozen rolls on hand at all times -- none of the substitutes are that good.

As with many personal preferences, they're all good.  Changing the oil regularly is far more important than what you change it with.

WWW   IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #21 - 07/05/08 at 05:29:09

Royal wrote on 07/04/08 at 10:52:47:
SuziQ:
 I can't remember the last time I was in Canada if the gas stations sold fuel in gallons, liters, (or Imperial gallons). My 2008 S40 gas tank holds 10.5 Liters or 2.8 gallons with the 2.5 L-0.6 gallon reserve. The tank has a filler neck that extends down into the tank a ways to allow for fuel expansion. You should never fill the tank to the top of the tank
 Oil is 1.9 US quart without filter and 2.1 with.  Isn't it great to buy stuff than never takes an even amounts of anything-either liters or quarts or gallons?........

All of Canada is now pumping fuel in liters.  It was a progressive change quite a few years ago and didn't occur in all stations at the same time, pump meters had to be re-calibrated. So for quite awhile one station was metric and the next could be in Imperial measure.  The last time I was in the States some stations were using US Gallons and some were using liters.

IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #22 - 07/05/08 at 05:39:55

Royal wrote on 07/04/08 at 11:07:41:
One other thing. Depending on modifications and the way you ride a rule of thumb could well be- If I have to switch to reserve I only have about 1/2 gallon of fuel left so I SHOULD be able to go about 20 to 25 miles. Which way should I go so I have to walk the least or which way am I most likely to hitch a ride by going. Over the years I discovered that with very little planning ahead the only time I ever ran out of fuel was when I forgot to switch the valve back from reserve. Shocked

One my new 2008 S40 I have noticed when I switch to reserve which always occurs at 200 km (125 miles) the engine doesn't seem to run as smooth, if there is such a word on a single Suzuki!  It runs as if it is starving somewhat for fuel.  Only slightly noticeable and probably only to some riders.  As soon as I tank-up again it's back to normal.  Suzuki really have these engines running lean for emission compliance and warnings "do not adjust the factory-set mixture"???  

IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #23 - 07/05/08 at 11:40:02

Dragon_Heart wrote on 07/04/08 at 15:26:35:

Suggest using a regular mineral motorcycle oil and change it twice as often and maybe 3 times for the same $$$ and your scoot will thank you.  I intend to use a Honda mineral oil in my 2008  S40, the same as I use in my VFR. Here in Canada it is marketed as GN4 a 10w40 weight to an "SJ" specification meeting JASO spec "MA". My VFR sees an oil change even after a day on our Mosport racetrack which could be only a couple of hundred miles.  Often if a synthetic lube is used early in the bikes life cycle just after the break-in period a noticeable amount of oil consumption can be seen as the rings are still bedding into their cylinder walls.  Then in later years as mileage accumulates if a synthetic is added it can play havoc with an already perfectly operating clutch.

IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/05/08 at 14:26:36

I am about 1/2 mile from the gas station. First time I filled the bike, used the auto shutoff on the pump, that's good enough for me. The pressure in the gas tank immediately blew it out of the cap though.

Now I fill it up, put the cap on snug, listen for the pressure to build, take the cap off, then back on. No more pressure build.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #25 - 07/06/08 at 06:05:41

I'm surprised, Savage has less capacity than KLX, KLX is 12l total, 10+2.

Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #26 - 07/06/08 at 11:06:53

klx650sm2002 wrote on 07/06/08 at 06:05:41:
I'm surprised, Savage has less capacity than KLX, KLX is 12l total, 10+2.
The Savage is a Street Bike -- you know, paved roads, people, GAS STATIONS.  The KLX is a dual sport, finds itself out in the middle of nowhere where (1) ain't no gas stations and (2) really really rough pushing a dead bike.

WWW   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 07/07/08 at 07:40:33

What type of gas grade do you guys use?  I filled up for the first time yesterday and wasnt sure which grade to use so I played it safe with the mid-grade.  I owned a Vespa before and I had to use premium on it so was wondering what was best for the S40?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 07/07/08 at 07:44:18

The cheap is all you need if you can get 100% gas thats the best for any engine

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 07/07/08 at 07:51:45

Ok, how do I know if its 100%, are there labels at the tanks that i'm not bothering to read???

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:32:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Tank Capacity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.