Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windshield suggestions (Read 160 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

Windshield suggestions
07/01/08 at 14:47:32

Hello, Just wondering what windshields are the preferred kinds for your savages/s40's?  
Is the factory Suzuki windshield any good?  
Thanks!

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: Windshield suggestions
Reply #1 - 07/01/08 at 14:54:50

Hi:

I put on a small Road Krome windshield. It looks ok, is inexpensive, very easy to install, and it has made a big difference. I have no experience with other makes and models of winshields so I can't compare. For the bucks I spent on this, it was money well spent.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
willrph
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 07/01/08 at 18:13:18

Depends on what you want.  I placed a Memphis Shades Slim 17" and the angle between vertical and the windshield is not where I want it.   It does keep the wind blast off my body and helmet, but I want it to be more aerodynamic.   I'm 5'8", 30 inch inseam, and want to see over the windshield.  You'll appreciate it this when it rains.
 Since my window is a little taller then OEM, and depending on your height you may find the zuki window a little short.  
 Check out the Memphis Shades website they have some nice pics of proper windshield height.
 It certainly was more expenive but I thing the Memphis Shades looks great.  Thinking about lowers as wind comes up at 65 to 70 miles per hour diminishing the desired affect.

White spacer mod, 150 main, K&N Air Filter, Memphis Shades Slim
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 07/01/08 at 18:14:20

What a person prefers depends on how much wind they wish to block.

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 07/01/08 at 19:28:36

I have the Enterprise by Windjammer, as it is big enough to protect me from the wind, to include the hands.  The mounting system is not perfect.., allows the fairing to rub on  the brake resevoir.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 07/01/08 at 21:15:32

I have the full fairing type windshield from National Cycle. I love it. When I got my bike used it had a much smaller Memphis Shades type screen on it which seemed fine, UNTIL I did a longer trip with it. After the NC screen on a 4,400 mile trip I would never go back to a smaller screen. The wind beating you up difference is just amazing. And even in a Florida downpour, as long as you keep moving, you only get really wet from the knees down.

Passing and being passed by the big trucks is easier too. I had to go back to the little shield for a 2,200 mile trip to NC and back to MN and I was beat up sumthin' fierce. For around town cruising I'm sure I could live with the smaller screen, but since I'm a long hauler for the most part, I'm sticking to the bigger shield.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

If you do order a NC shield you need to order the 1" bar clamps as it comes with 3/4" clamps. they're not cheap either. The one weak link in their product is that the clamps are plastic. Would it kill them to go with metal?

Jack

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/01/08 at 22:11:01

I personally prefer a slim screen, not too tall, just enough to look over.
I think a wide/big one overpowers the bike, but like the benefit of a mid sizxe one.  I got 1 and am going to buy a piece of lexan or pleiglass and cut oput a shield just a bit bigger, about 2 inches taller, and that goes down a a bit farther.  Just gonna cut it out and use the brackets and such from what I have.
Although, I hafta agree that a bigger 1 would be nice on a trip.
Decisions decisons, guess I need 2 bikes and 2 shields..........

IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #7 - 07/02/08 at 05:48:33

My bike came with a full sized Slip Streamer shield.  I like it but take it off for fun short rides to let the air get through my mesh jacket.  I will love it in cooler weather.  Mounting is a bit difficult so if I were to get one I would look at different brand myself.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #8 - 07/02/08 at 10:56:54

I recently got a National Cycle Street Shield EX.  This is the quickly removable model and is slightly bigger than the normal Street Shield.  It mounts pretty easily, though the upper mounts are a little long i think.  I would like to have it an inch lower, which I'm pretty sure I can do.  I like it.  I think Oldfeller has one too.  Smiley

Before that I had a Memphis Shades Malibu.  It was very large as it covered the grips too.  The mounting hardware weren't that good compared to what came from National Cycle.  After messing with it for a couple months I also think that the Savage is too small for this style of shield.  It was close to impossible to get the right height and rake without catching the headlight beam which made night riding difficult, or bumping the tank at the handle bar stops.  Not recommended.  Sad

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #9 - 07/02/08 at 11:42:17

This is the one I have, The prev. owner installed it.

MEM4211 Memphis Shades Memphis Slim 17" Black Windshield $154.95
MEM9909 Memphis Shades Memphis Shades Hardware Kit $108.95

Click the album link in my sig to see how it looks.

I like it alot, You can remove it by loosening 4 allens it takes all of 5 minutes to take it off or put it on.
Trying it off and then back on, i really don't like riding without it.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:12:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield suggestions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.