Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ran outta gas and got my first compliment (Read 377 times)
slowfaller

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Chicago, IL
Ran outta gas and got my first compliment
06/30/08 at 23:26:31

It was quite a beautiful day here in IL and because I work third shift I had until about 4pm to ride, it was a great time.  This is the first time I've set off by myself since having my license, which has been under a week now, and I loved every minute of it.  I'm not a loner but definitely enjoy the feeling of just me and my bike cruising anywhere I want and stopping anywhere.

For lunch I stopped at this bar/grill place by my parents house (had to stop by and show them and my grandma my s40)and ordered a pizza.  A friend met me up there and after lunch I told him I was just going to cruise to the west of town for a bit and he asked if he could just follow behind.  "Sure...", I said,"...but don't hit me".

Right after leaving the bar my bike died at the stop light.  I got her going again (while thoughts of this forum and that person with this same problem flashed through my head) and pulled into a blockbuster parking lot to see what was up.  It just wouldn't start almost like it was...BINGO!  Outta gas! Grin  Flipped to reserve and went to fill her up.  

So after cruising for a bit more I went home and realized I forgot to pick up a pack of smokes (got a stop smoking aid waiting for me when the time is right) and parked next to a BMW motorcycle which I thought was pretty cool.  As I walked in the other rider walked out and we greeted each other and kept going.  When the BMW rider got near our bikes he asked, "How many CCs?"

I responded w/ 650cc and he complimented the gas mileage and said he bets it a fun ride.  I agreed and went on my way.

All in all an awesome day and if you made it this far thanks for reading!

Chris

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Ran outta gas and got my first compliment
Reply #1 - 07/01/08 at 03:21:47

other than the running out of gas, that's a daily conversation you will have with others

with time you will feel it ready to hit reserve, practice  the switch while riding. then when you need to do it at speed it's not an uncommon occurance.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
slowfaller

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Chicago, IL
Reply #2 - 07/01/08 at 03:38:40

I just need to realize that I'm running out of gas.  When she stalled at the light I thought there was a mechanical problem because I was just riding along fine, no sputtering and then I downshifted and she died.  

In my garage I practiced switching to reserve while sitting down to try and get some muscle memory.  Kinda like when I used to skydive on the plane ride to altitude I'd constantly touch my three handles in the order they'd be pulled.  Main pilot chute, cutaway handle, reserve handle Cheesy

Chris

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 07/01/08 at 05:23:57

When my Savage used to cut out, there was no warning - running fine, and then nothing - probably has to do with only having one cylinder. As far as the compliments, the only thing I ever got was positive comments. Maybe it's an Illinois thing - riders in Illinois just got better taste.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 07/01/08 at 05:28:13

What IS the proper procedure for switching to resere while driving?

I had to do this the other day, but wasn't sure... If the engine dies and I don't have the clutch lever pulled in, will the bike start to skid, or will it just die and continue rolling?

The first time it happened, I was stopped at a red light, so switching it to reserve was easy.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
slowfaller

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Chicago, IL
Reply #5 - 07/01/08 at 06:13:55

Correct me if I'm wrong someone but I think you just move the lever while riding.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 07/01/08 at 06:26:01

Yep slowfaller and soon as you feel a miss and you know you close to that point just push forward and keep on going

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 07/01/08 at 06:52:28

my 06 warns me with sputters esp during right turns flippin the lever forward is second nature now..go to the 1$ store get a 3 didgit combo lock
and attach to your cables reset at filll up,every time you get on the saddle check how close to 100 miles youve gone..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 07/01/08 at 06:59:40

Ideally yes, but if you go bone dry you may need to prime it first.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #9 - 07/01/08 at 09:27:46

thumperclone wrote on 07/01/08 at 06:52:28:
my 06 warns me with sputters esp during right turns flippin the lever forward is second nature now..go to the 1$ store get a 3 didgit combo lock
and attach to your cables reset at filll up,every time you get on the saddle check how close to 100 miles youve gone..

Or put on a bike speedo with a trip odometer (less "math" and accurate speed).  Walmart $10 or Sigma online for $15-20.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #10 - 07/01/08 at 09:30:20

mornhm - FSO wrote on 07/01/08 at 05:23:57:
Maybe it's an Illinois thing - riders in Illinois just got better taste.

Where in IL are you guys.  I am in Dekalb.  I have been seeing a ton of savages around in the last month.

WWW   IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #11 - 07/01/08 at 10:21:13

Mine sputters when i need to flip to reserve it's happened to me 3 times so far actually today in the middle of town it did it i was rather embarassed here i am smoothly cruising through town and all of a sudden it started sputtering and backfiring and boom it died but luckily i remembered what was wrong switched it to reserve and she fired right up and took off.

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #12 - 07/01/08 at 10:29:17

I just look for a gas station when it rolls around to the 100's, that way i know when i fill up and still have plenty of gas

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
loopedguru
YaBB Newbies

Trying to give up my
cage 1 mile at a
time

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #13 - 07/01/08 at 11:41:07

The only time embarrassment hit me was running out while riding two up.  I didn't feel a sputter due to the extra bootay causing extra duty.  I normally run it to the sputter point, then switch over to reserve on the fly.

98 LS650 Orange, 2001 miles and putting it on the road 6/26/06
  IP Logged
slowfaller

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Chicago, IL
Reply #14 - 07/01/08 at 13:24:15

Prophet_10 wrote on 07/01/08 at 09:30:20:
mornhm - FSO wrote on 07/01/08 at 05:23:57:
Maybe it's an Illinois thing - riders in Illinois just got better taste.

Where in IL are you guys.  I am in Dekalb.  I have been seeing a ton of savages around in the last month.

Carpentersville

Ah Dekalb, I was there for kegs and eggs/homecoming last October.  What a long day.

Chris

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:21:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ran outta gas and got my first compliment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.