Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ran outta gas and got my first compliment (Read 377 times)
Crotchrocket
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Ran outta gas and got my first compliment
Reply #15 - 07/01/08 at 23:59:50

I joined the Illinois out of gas club yesterday.  In my 20 year career riding bikes, I finally got caught.

So I'm cruising home from my grandparents house I hear it start to miss.  I instinctively reached for the petcock and to my horror, was already in the reserve position.  It all came back to me.  I was riding the day before and got rained on.  We're talking soaked to the underwear.  I had so much on my mind the day before dealing with cold, wind, rain, etc. that I forgot I had put her in reserve.  I coasted to a busy intersection with a cement divider and parked it.  I called my grandparents to come rescue me, and while waiting, I had over 15 different people ask if I needed anything.  Guys on bikes and in cars offered their help.  Really made me feel good for humanity.

I guess I really had no point to make for this post other than Illinois drivers were very friendly.  

Time to rethink my fuel strategy.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #16 - 07/02/08 at 05:58:54

slowfaller wrote on 07/01/08 at 13:24:15:
Prophet_10 wrote on 07/01/08 at 09:30:20:
mornhm - FSO wrote on 07/01/08 at 05:23:57:
Maybe it's an Illinois thing - riders in Illinois just got better taste.

Where in IL are you guys.  I am in Dekalb.  I have been seeing a ton of savages around in the last month.

Carpentersville

Ah Dekalb, I was there for kegs and eggs/homecoming last October.  What a long day.

Chris

Mahomet

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #17 - 07/02/08 at 11:55:51

On my 05, you'll feel the power surge a little and it'll get worse until you flip it to reserve. It's never just died without warning. It's really easy to flip it to reserve, i've done it in city traffic and at 65 mph, It's easier to do it the faster you're going actually..

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #18 - 07/07/08 at 21:01:29

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 07/01/08 at 05:28:13:
What IS the proper procedure for switching to resere while driving?

I had to do this the other day, but wasn't sure... If the engine dies and I don't have the clutch lever pulled in, will the bike start to skid, or will it just die and continue rolling?

The first time it happened, I was stopped at a red light, so switching it to reserve was easy.

Your best bet to switch while moving if the engine quits is to pull in the clutch with your left hand and reach across the tank with your right to flip it into reserve. Then you can even restart the bike while moving and go on your merry way. You may want to practice finding the lever and moving it in the right direction while stationary.
I found this out the hard way. Normally the bike sputters, but I was decelerating after going full tilt on the highway. The engine quit and locked up the rear; not something you want to do at 65+ mph. Luckily, I figured out this little maneuver on the fly and safely exited the highway.

happy riding.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #19 - 07/07/08 at 21:39:12

groupus wrote on 07/07/08 at 21:01:29:
SimonTuffGuy wrote on 07/01/08 at 05:28:13:
What IS the proper procedure for switching to resere while driving?

I had to do this the other day, but wasn't sure... If the engine dies and I don't have the clutch lever pulled in, will the bike start to skid, or will it just die and continue rolling?

The first time it happened, I was stopped at a red light, so switching it to reserve was easy.

Your best bet to switch while moving if the engine quits is to pull in the clutch with your left hand and reach across the tank with your right to flip it into reserve. Then you can even restart the bike while moving and go on your merry way. You may want to practice finding the lever and moving it in the right direction while stationary.
I found this out the hard way. Normally the bike sputters, but I was decelerating after going full tilt on the highway. The engine quit and locked up the rear; not something you want to do at 65+ mph. Luckily, I figured out this little maneuver on the fly and safely exited the highway.

happy riding.

mine shuts down at speed i reach down with left and make the switch,  something i've done thousands of times now.  the key is do it quickly.

let's not make this to complicated... it's an everyday occurance.

practice it at speed before it's needed,  just remember to switch back.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #20 - 07/08/08 at 10:15:01

When my Sigma tripmeter gets to 90 miles I switch and look for gas in the next 20 miles. Last thing I want is my bike to stutter just as I need the power to pass (very dangerous) or ride away from a stoplight which could be very embarrasing and dangerous if it stops in the middle of the intersection. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #21 - 07/08/08 at 12:19:18

Thanks groupus - Exactly what I was looking for...

I've practiced with the bike stopped, and it's happened several times while running now, that I'm getting better at turning it before stalling... I just wanted to know what WOULD happen if the bike did stall before switching it, not pulling in the clutch, etc... and groupus just covered that in his post. Wink

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #22 - 07/08/08 at 13:11:16

As far as the compliments go, get used to it.  Every time I stop to fill up with gas, some cager starts raving about the bike.  Then they about pass out when I tell them about the kind of mileage I'm getting.  Enjoy!

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 07/08/08 at 17:59:54

Crotchrocket wrote on 07/01/08 at 23:59:50:
I joined the Illinois out of gas club yesterday.  In my 20 year career riding bikes, I finally got caught.

So I'm cruising home from my grandparents house I hear it start to miss.  I instinctively reached for the petcock and to my horror, was already in the reserve position.  

I got caught in the very same position the Sunday before last.  Out on a rural road heading for the highway when the sputter happened.  When I reached for the petcock, it was already on prime.  Fortunately, I was just a few miles from my Dad's house.  He brought me his lawn mower gas can which had about half a gallon and that got me home.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #24 - 07/22/08 at 11:28:44

slowfaller, I am in Elgin.  We'll have to ride sometime.  I usually get out after my son goes to bed on Friday or Saturday.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:40:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ran outta gas and got my first compliment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.