Send Topic Print
gas in the oil (Read 57 times)
Mike from Pittsburgh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

gas in the oil
06/30/08 at 11:18:04

When I got my bike, (it was a salvage) it had a lot of gas in the oil. I changed the oil before even trying to turn it over. I suspect that someone left the petcock in the "prime" position and left it sit for a long time. Then I saw the tech article from bobo383 (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1113631600) and now I'm suspicious of the petcock, that it may be letting gas get by when the bike sits. Do many of you guys have that problem at all or am I being paranoid? I really don't want gas in my oil, that would be bad.

Thanks,
Mike

IP Logged
newrider55
YaBB Newbies

New rider and loving
it.

Climax, MI
Re: gas in the oil
Reply #1 - 06/30/08 at 11:22:33

Check to see if fuel is in the vaccum line.  If so replace or rebuilt the petcock as it is letting fuel flow into your carb and possibly the lower end.

'97 Black LS650
Supertrapp, Mod Carb
'02 Silver LS650 Stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: gas in the oil
Reply #2 - 06/30/08 at 11:47:29

I can't say that I've seen alot of people saying they actually have the problem, but it certainly is serious and to be watched for.  

Gas in the oil can be as you've said from leaving the petcock in prime.  
But also from failure of the petcock diaphram can let gas thru the vac line.  Pull the line off of the carb cap the carb and run it in prime.  Gas out of this line is bad.
Another possibility is carb overflow due to bad or stuck float valve.  Check your air box too.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:21:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas in the oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.