Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cant wait for 600 mile service (Read 118 times)
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Cant wait for 600 mile service
06/30/08 at 09:50:07

Guys I just hit 675 on my 06 zuki s40 but I dont really have the patience to wait around until Mid July for a Dealer to service her.since everyone is booked. My question is this; Can I at least change the oil and oil filter and ride her without the valve adjustment? Or should I leaver her parked until I can get her to the shop. The dealer said he will charge me $162 to go through the MOM routine. I went out and bought some Mobil 1 10w40 and a filter last night and also one of those super magnets I read about from another thread. Im not the most mechanically inclined DYIer but I know my way around a tool box a little bit. As Always Any advice is appreciated! Cool

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Cant wait for 600 mile service
Reply #1 - 06/30/08 at 10:12:51

Sure you can,I wouldn't put in the Mobil one till about 1500 miles I don't think they do the valves anyway unless they sound like they need it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #2 - 06/30/08 at 10:43:28

I bought my 04 with 600 miles on it.  I changed the oil using Golden Spectro.  I have 1500 miles on it now.  I have not had the 600 mile service done.  I do have some issues with backfiring that have come up recently, but I don't think that has anything to do with valves being adjusted.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #3 - 06/30/08 at 11:00:08

Lets also factor in Summer. That 10w40 might be a little on the light side for this time of year.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #4 - 06/30/08 at 11:29:06

Posted by: Dj12midnit Posted on: Today at 11:00:08
Lets also factor in Summer. That 10w40 might be a little on the light side for this time of year.  

Dj do you think I should swap out the 10w40 for 20w50 I live in Atlanta by the way so it does get hot around here but nothing like Texas or Arizona

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 06/30/08 at 13:18:20

I put 20w50 in mine and I'm here in PA... It's not terribly hot here, but it does get into the upper 90's during the summer too.

My invoice from the dealer was very similar. They changed the oil and spark plug, adjusted the cables, tightened the various nuts and bolts, etc. It didn't list a valve adjustment.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 06/30/08 at 13:30:22

I'll be swapping from 10w40 to 20w50 my next oil/filter change very soon. It's getting pretty hot here at the Jersey Shore.

You don't have to be an ace mechanic to change the oil/filter, it's only a 20-30 minute job. Just make preparations before you start. Bike sits really low, so take that into consideration when getting a drain pan. Plenty of shop rags, and something to put under the bike to catch oil should it miss the pan. Take it slow and save yourself the $80-100 a stealer would charge, it'll feel good.

Start a little savings account and deposit the money you would save at the stealership when doing your own wrenching. You could buy a lot of fun things for your bike with what you save in a year.

FSO
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #7 - 06/30/08 at 15:34:54

Kirk if it was me I would change to 20w50 but that is just me others may think other wise.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #8 - 06/30/08 at 17:41:55

I used 20W/50 Suzuki OEM oil last time.
When i got my bike a couple of months ago it had 10 w40 in it and when hot, the valves would clatter on take off. No clatter with the 20W 50 though.

IP Logged
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #9 - 06/30/08 at 18:05:47

Thanks for the replies everyone you folks are the most AWESOME bunch of people I have ever talked to before online in my life. And I really mean it. OK enough with mushy gushy crap. Grin I made a typo on the brand of oil I currently have its Valvoline 10w40 but as many of you have suggested the 20w50 is the way to roll so I am going back up to Advance Auto to swap it out for the correct viscocity.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #10 - 06/30/08 at 21:17:27

Kirk,
Just me talkin, but I wouldn't wait on the oil change. I'm a big believer in the idea that you can't change your oil too often. With a new engine breakin, you have alot of machine parts meshing together, and tiny metal particles are circulating around in the engine. Not good.
I probably rate on the fanatical side, but during my breakin period, I changed the oil at 100 mile intervals until I hit the 600 mile mark. Each time there were tiny metal flakes in the oil. After 600 miles, I changed at 1000 miles, and each 1000 miles thereafter. Filter was changed each time too. I know it's probably overkill, but my uncle was an auto mechanic his whole life. He ran his cars forever, and the single greatest thing he always said a person could do for their car was change the oil and filter.
As for the valves, that could probably wait. However, with a Clymers and this forum, even I was able to do it. It took me about four hours, but I think I could do it in less than half the time now.
Oh, and definately go with the 20W50 oil. Don't get us started on which kind! Smiley Just make sure it DOESN"T say "Energy Conserving" on the back label.
Enjoy your ride, and
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/30/08 at 22:52:13

By the 5th or 6th valve adjustment, you'll get pretty quick at it. The first couple, I took a Long, LOOong, time. After a few passes, confidence builds, I stopped checking the gap 4 times & dropped to three, then to 2, I still recheck, because I CAN forget something, I check to make sure I snugged the jam nuts & everything. Do the valves yourself, just make sure thers no reason to need to go anywhere, no reason to feel pressured to go DO something. You NEED time away from the world, to "hang out" with your bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:18:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cant wait for 600 mile service

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.