Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Having trouble deciding, savage or v-star (Read 480 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Having trouble deciding, savage or v-star
06/30/08 at 09:31:01

I'm sure you get posts like this all the time, but I've spent awhile going through forums reading them, and I still can't make a decision.  I live in NW arkansas and need a bike mainly for commuting to school.  It's a brief drive with speed up to 55, and I will be riding 2 up at least 50% of the time at this speed.  My wife is tiny and our combined weight is 270.  I also want to be able to make the occasional trip home to see our families, or an occasional road trip.  Nothing over 800 miles round trip, most of the time 400 miles round trip (maybe doing this once a month).  Also, an occasional 10 mile interstate short cut would be nice, but I wouldn't mind making road trips on back highways at 55-60 mph.

The main thing we want, though, is fuel efficiency.  We're really poor and plan to be for awhile.  The bike is really an investment to our future poorness, buying it now while I have a little money.

Between the savage and the v-star 650 I've read a lot of different gas mileage claims, up to 60+ mpg for the both of them, but what I think I believe at this point is that the v-star's gonna get slightly less, maybe 5-10 mpg less.

My gut is telling me to get a savage and deal with less power on longer trips.  The low maintenance side of it sounds great, but it seems like the backfire mods and leak fixing will require a lot of initial work - which, as a complete newb - I have no idea how to do.  I've read about drilling out the brass plug, turning the mixture screw, switchin' the spacer around the needle for a couple of #4 washers, etc - but reading is different than doing, and i don't even have a drill.  Also, I've read alot on people needing to rejet, which I have no idea how to do and only a small idea what it means, but I usually like learning this stuff and picking it up.

Once you turn the mixture screw,  change the spacer, and maybe rejet - have I lost the fuel efficiency advantage over the v-star?  If I'm gonna see less than 5 mpg difference between them, should I opt for the v-star to keep us powered during brief interstate travel?  Thanks, sorry this is so long.

Josh

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Having trouble deciding, savage or v-star
Reply #1 - 06/30/08 at 09:38:57

I can't speak for the V-Star, but my wife tells me the Savage/S40 is not at all comfortable riding two-up. I believe the V-Star is a physically larger motorcycle, as well as a two-cylinder engine. I doubt there is any substantial difference in power or fuel economy. I would go to a dealership, with spouse in tow, and actually sit on both machines for a few minutes. Neither has a centerstand, so you will have to hold it up while she tries out the passenger seat. On the other hand, I suspect the MSRP of the V-Star is higher.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 06/30/08 at 09:39:15

I would say the v-star would be better,more room for two up,and the ride would be a lot better,smooth motor,lot more stable on freeways,the plus for s40 cost and a lite weight. some here will say s40 good for freeways and it can be done and and can be done on a 250 too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #3 - 06/30/08 at 09:51:07

Just get the V-Star.  The Savage won't fit your needs at all.  You'll hate it, you'll hate yourself for buying it and you'll trade up for a bigger bike in less than a year anyway.

Neither bike is good for 2 up riding long distance.  The Savage is good for a solo cruiser, but is small and the passenger pillion is cramped and uncomfortbale.  The V-Star is much more comfortable and has enough room to stretch out, but the bike is UBER heavy and the 39hp 650cc engine feels sluggish.  Its even worse on the interstate with 2 riders.

If you're planning on any 2 up riding, you need to look in the 750cc and up range.  I would suggest you look at the Honda Shadow (750), Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800) (not the S50.  Same small frame as the S40, but with an 800cc engine squeezed in) or the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 (900cc). Yes, they're expensive.  Yes they're heavy.  But any of the 3 I mentioned above will carry you and a passenger on the interstate with no trouble.  The Savage and the V-Star can, but it won't be comfortable and you'll be wishing for more power from day 1.

My god.  Did I really just type that????

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/30/08 at 10:19:08

The interstate travel I intend to do is so brief that I don't really want to sacrifice my real objective - good gas mileage - for about 10 minutes of comfort a couple times a month.  Right now we drive a 150cc scooter into town on that 55 mph road, so I feel like anything is going to be a comfort increase, mpg decrease.  I'm just looking for the best bike that can handle the task.  The scooter is definitely being pushed a little too hard.  A 20 miles round trip 55mph ride is what we'll be doing daily, sometimes twice daily.  Riding around the town we ride to will be done daily as well (that's why the torquiness of the savage appealed to me).  Interstate maybe twice a week for 10 miles, back highways for 400 miles round trip once a month max.  Once a year maybe 800 mile round trip.  We're generally not very picky when it comes to comfort, a lot more picky when it comes to price - but if its a general consensus that the savage is going to destroy my wife's ass on the kind of trips we'll be taking, I'll take it off my radar.

I know a lot of people who have been telling me to go bigger displacement, and you're probably right.  I just know that at 40 mpg I wouldn't ever drive it.  I'd end up convincing myself to push the scooter once more, or I'd take the car and my mountain bikes for a longer excursion.  I feel like an uncomfortable highway trip is just gonna be better than one that's too expensive.

IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/30/08 at 10:33:10

my buddy has a VStar 650 and in my opinion it is a hands down better bike than my savage. Its much larger, a 2 cylender for smoother highway speeds, and has a roomier back seat.

on the other hand. i paid 1500$ and he paid 4200$.

riding 2 up on my savage is NOT fun at all. my helmet keeps hitting my girlfriends helmet, and its very cramped.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #6 - 06/30/08 at 10:36:53

I almost bought a Vulcan 900.  When researching it I saw a lot of folks that said it got in the high 40's for MPG.  My Savage has been averaging 49 mpg.  So I'm not sure the Kaw would be a huge penalty in MPG.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/30/08 at 10:45:44

I ride with a V-star, regularly.  I get 60 to 65mpg on my Savage w/mods, he gets 50 to 55mpg.  The V-star has more range on a tankfull.  The Savage has better torque for take offs, the v-star is more stable in crosswinds.  The V-star is way more comfortable for the rider but the pillion sucks on both.  I would add padding to either one if I were going to go 2-up often.  Either bike will do the job, and the Savage is more fun and easier to maintain.  
I like the Savage better, that's why I own one.  And I'm notoriously thrifty.  Got the feeling you guys are too.
Shop around, buy a used one at the right price, and try it.  If you don't like it, sell it for what you paid.
I think you'll like it.
Good luck!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/30/08 at 10:57:45

The only thing I've got like motorcycle repair experience is changing the motor/gear oil on my scooter and cleaning the air filter.  Supposing I did get the savage, how difficult would those backfire mods going to be for me?  Rejetting?  I've read through the tech section, and was wondering if there's a place with similarly detailed instruction with some picture accompaniment.  I'd really like to tinker with my bike a little (another reason why the Savage simplicity appealed to me), and a constant backfire would be a good motivator to get me started.

IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/30/08 at 10:59:06

mine didnt backfire until i changed the pipe. i think its luck of the draw, plus your location.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #10 - 06/30/08 at 11:11:22

So here is the thing. My wife did two hours on the Pillion saturday. and she did mention the seat could be more comfortable. but the bike had no problems. We took the twisties up and the freeway back. Went as fast as 70 with throtal to spare. And lets just say I alone weigh in at 280.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/30/08 at 11:31:17

I'd have to second serowbots opinion.
But w/o this web family, i'd have been lost and afraid of doing any of the major maintenance myself.
You say you're poor and the economics of ownership will make or break you.  Then the decision is simple.  

Gas mileage will be a minor fator but the easiest to start with.  Estimate miles per week/month whatever you want to work with. $/gal and you have your cost of travel.  Cost for maitenance, oil change every 2k miles, 2 qts oil 1 filter for the savage.  How many qts for the yamy?  prices for the filters can be found at the dealer just ask.  Also ask them cost for oil change if they did it.

I assume there's a yami web site, do the same there that you're doing here, you should get the same enthousiastic reply, family you have to live with but you get to choose your friends.

making the bike comfortably to you and the misses depends on how creative you want to be.  There was a pillion extender shown here that you could make.  It doesn't sound like either of you are very big, while tight by cager standards, certainly capable.  Little bird may have looked like dust bowl itenerant worker but you can pack the bike like a mule and it will go w/o complaint.

So there's some home work for you to do.  And let the economics make the decision for you.  And we'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 06/30/08 at 11:39:06

There was a 2004 v-star with 300 miles saddlebags and windshield in the paper yesterday for $3500, I called I wanted to take it for a ride,but it was sold and hour earlier.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 06/30/08 at 11:40:56

I think you can rely on the Savage to get over 50 mpg. I averaged 52 mpg over several thousand miles of all kinds of riding. I don't think you will get that with a V-star. For frugality it only makes sense to do your own wrenching. The Savage is much simpler to learn on than a V-Star.

With the type of riding you are describing the Savage will do fine. You're not spending the money to get a Rolls Royce ride, so enjoy the breeze and the money you're saving - and the fact that you can still afford to make the ride.

IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/30/08 at 11:45:43

It's been incredibly hard to calculate fuel costs, because its hard for me to get any real reliable prediction of mileage.  Even in these last couple of posts numbers have gone from 49-65 mpg in the savage.  Riding 2 up (270 lbs) at 50 mph speed, not too many lights, what should I expect? I know that mpg range is largely based on how you drive the thing.  I have no motorcycle driving experience, but once I figure out how to drive it efficiently, I will for sure.

By the way, thanks for all this help so far - I've already told my wife that I have a little more confidence in modding the bike because of the quick help here.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:21:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Having trouble deciding, savage or v-star

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.