Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Having trouble deciding, savage or v-star (Read 480 times)
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Re: Having trouble deciding, savage or v-star
Reply #15 - 06/30/08 at 11:52:32

I'm sure Savage is at least slightly cheaper to run than V*. Passenger ergonomics is a problem. We had to add another bike for two up riding.
What about GS500? Those things have been around since 1989, use less fuel than a Savage and also have a bit more space for two adults.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #16 - 06/30/08 at 12:01:30

Josh - I just picked up an S40 about 2 months ago... First time riding a bike (not even a scooter or anything prior). My mileage ranges have been between 55 and 65, depending on where I'm going.

A lot of my travels are short, in town trips, anywhere from .5 to 5 or 10 miles... I believe that's when I'm seeing the lower of the two numbers. On our several longer trips (anywhere from 60 to 100+ miles), I was seeing much higher.

As for re-jetting and tuning the carb... You may not have to do anything to it... The backfire isn't horrible, generally just when you get off the gas after a good bit of acceleration (ie. Rip out at a stop sign and then get off the gas, you'll get a backfire). The backfire when you kill the engine is normal. People will say to tune the carb either way because the bike comes from the facrory running pretty lean. I think you would do alright driving it completely stock, as many people do, and be alright doing so.

Good luck on your decision.

-edit- Forgot to mention the 2-up for the S40... The girlfriend and I ride 2-up pretty often. We have a combined weight of about 250 lbs and we are both pretty small (I'm 5'6" and she's about 5'2") - We ride comfortably on the thing, except we have to make frequent (50-60 mile) stops because her butt gets numb. Tongue It's got more than enough power for us, even on highway rides up to 65-70 mph.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #17 - 06/30/08 at 12:02:40

Josh -

For what it's worth, I ride in central Ohio.  Fairly flat country, a few very slight hills is all.

Riding in the country, and in the suburban traffic to work and home, I average right at 55 mpg.

I'm 61 years old, and drive like it.  I seldom go to anywhere near full throttle going up thru the gears, and cruise on 2 lane roads between 50 and 55 mph.

Mine is a 2006 S40.  I do have an OEM windshield, which I presume helps the mileage a small amount.

Leave your bike stock if you wish.  The backfiring is no big deal, and can be almost totally eliminated if, as you decelerate, you just back off the throttle slowly, and not quite all of the way.  It's sudden closure of the throttle that causes the most backfiring.

I know nothing about the V Star, so I can't comment.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 06/30/08 at 12:15:09

50mph on the Savage is just about as slow as you can cruise in 5th gear.  Riding 2 up, it might be happier at 55mph.  I would expect maximum efficiency at around that speed.  60+mpg.  
Every little thing effects mileage on a bike.  Flappy clothes, posture, humidity makes the air thicker,  tire pressure..., count on 5 to 10 mpg better than the V-star.
Tires are smaller and cheaper on the Savage too.  Bikes wear tires out much faster than cars.  New tires every 8 to 12k miles.  When pennies count you have to think of everything.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #19 - 06/30/08 at 12:18:03

Just came back from a 30 mile ride up the coast with my gf. One the way back we picked up Indian food including rice and nan bread which gf held between us for about 8 miles back to the house.

I'll admit that in stop & go traffic, the Savage is not quick off the line riding 2-up but once on the highway it's fine for me, and not one complaint from her. She rarely complains about anything though, I think she's just happy riding. She said that the sissy bar and backpad help a lot. We'll have to see if she feels the same way when we head out by Imlaystown and the surrounding areas in a few weeks. We'll be riding for most of the day.

I sat on a V-star 650 the week before I bought this bike when I was looking around. It seems like a very comfortable machine for highway riding. Most of my riding is off highway, and the Savage is sweet in those conditions.

FSO
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #20 - 06/30/08 at 12:57:12

I think you discount the importance of rider comfort and are focusing too much on fuel economy.  You'll soon learn that if the bike is not comfortable, you'll find some otherway of getting where you want to go.  That includes trading it in for a bigger bike.

Have you considered a Maxi-Scooter instead?  Any one from the Yamaha Majesty, Suzuki Burgman, Piaggio X9 or Honda Silverwing will deliver 50+mpg and reasonably comfortable 2 up riding.  

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #21 - 06/30/08 at 13:05:43

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 06/30/08 at 12:57:12:
I think you discount the importance of rider comfort and are focusing too much on fuel economy.  You'll soon learn that if the bike is not comfortable, you'll find some otherway of getting where you want to go.  That includes trading it in for a bigger bike.

Have you considered a Maxi-Scooter instead?  Any one from the Yamaha Majesty, Suzuki Burgman, Piaggio X9 or Honda Silverwing will deliver 50+mpg and reasonably comfortable 2 up riding.  

I was thinking the same thing.  I hear the Honda Helix scooter gets 60-65 MPG running flat out and 2 up.  The smaller the engine, the better your gas mileage.  You just loose HP for the quick takeoffs.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #22 - 06/30/08 at 13:15:31

Mrs. Skrapiron's Piaggio X9 is averaging 55mpg (all city riding) yet has a pillion saddle big enough for Santa Claus.  It rides like a Cadillac compared to my Savage, especially with us 2 up.  My kids fight with each other to see who will ride with MOM, not dad.  They hate riding with me on the Savage.  The loser gripes the whole ride 'My Butt hurts!'

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
wrenchbender

wild side of the Great Lk
Reply #23 - 06/30/08 at 13:17:41

I'll try not to over analyze this too much. I doubt fuel milage difference between the two bikes will be that substantial. It will probably depend more on the rider's acceleration habits than mfg's fuel milage claims.

I'm willing to wager if you get a group of biker's together of any paticular brand today, at some point carburation will enter into the discussion. Just about everything being built is running leaner than it should (matter of opinion) due to EPA mfg. compliance issues.

Bottom line is you need to set on both bikes while asking how much lighter your wallet will be should you choose to leave with that bike and then decide what's more important to you... the difference in money or comfort.

Have you gotton insurance quotes on either bike yet?

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #24 - 06/30/08 at 15:40:45

verslagen1 wrote on 06/30/08 at 11:31:17:
Little bird may have looked like dust bowl itenerant worker but you can pack the bike like a mule and it will go w/o complaint.

Stop!! I laughed so hard I had to head to the bathroom.  Grin

Gotta find that picture when I went to the NAMMY's, actors in tow. This itinerant worker looked pretty darn good in black leather and heels.

I can't stop laughing.

See you have to go with the Savage - these guys will pick on you unmercifully, give you awesome advice and make you smile. What more could you ask?

Oh and I really don't think the Vstrom would be as much fun or addictive as the Savage but what do I know. I'm just the dust bowl worker.  Wink

IP Logged
ParkerKane
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!  It
really does.

South Jersey
Reply #25 - 06/30/08 at 16:28:03

Why not get the stock bike and go with a sportster seat?  I haven't done it myself (so I don't know if there is any serious modding necessary) but everybody on the site that has says it's a heck of a lot more comfortable.

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #26 - 06/30/08 at 18:48:03

Get what is comfortable for you both.

Backfiring, mine only does it when I shut it off. Doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it.

Just checked my mileage for the first time, with just 220+ miles on it, 65mpg.

Get what works for you. Smiley

07 S40
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #27 - 06/30/08 at 20:08:34

My two bits:
j wrote on 06/30/08 at 09:31:01:
....need a bike mainly for commuting to school.  It's a brief drive with speed up to 55....
It's a FUN bike for that, not many can match the Savage on the city streets.
.... 2 up at least 50% of the time at this speed.  My wife is tiny and our combined weight is 270.
We've had at least one poster who's mate did not mind long pillion rides on the Savage.  The general consensus is that it's not comfortable.  Your wife will have to make this call, 'tho as someone mentioned, the Sportster saddle provides a better rear seat.  The weight is nothing.  Extra weight affects acceleration, but top speed is mostly a factor of wind resistance, and a passenger doesn't add to that.
....  I also want to be able to make the occasional trip home to see our families, or an occasional road trip.  Nothing over 800 miles round trip, most of the time 400 miles round trip (maybe doing this once a month).  Also, an occasional 10 mile interstate short cut would be nice, but I wouldn't mind making road trips on back highways at 55-60 mph.
A 400 mile day on the Savage is not at all unreasonable -- going LA to OKC I did over 500 miles each of the first two days.  200 miles is a piece of cake.  Had a buddy visit San Diego so I met him for lunch, it was only 115 miles one way.

Savage will handle the interstate at 65-70 no problem -- for the bike.  Some people complain about the vibration as speed increases, for me it is not objectionable 'til I hit about 80.  10 miles at 80 is only 8 minutes -- you can put up with a lot for a mere 8 minutes.
....The main thing we want, though, is fuel efficiency.  We're really poor and plan to be for awhile.  The bike is really an investment to our future poorness, buying it now while I have a little money.

Between the savage and the v-star 650....
I can't comment on the fuel efficiency of the V*, but my trip to OKC was a bit under 60 mpg going out on the Superslab, and over 60 mpg coming home in US60 with 70 mpg crossing the Mojave on CA62.  (City I get under 50 mpg, but have LOTSA fun doing it.)

I believe Progressive Insurance will give you an on-line quote, so you can plug in the two bikes and see if they each will cost.

If you go with the V* it would be for highway comfort, particularly two-up, so you'ld be wanting the heavier seatier Classic rather than the sporty Custom.  About 190 pounds heavier, 5+ inches more between the wheels.  If the pillion on the Savage is uncomfortable you might not have much of a choice.  This sounds like the wife's call once she checks out the seating position on each bike.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #28 - 06/30/08 at 20:10:59

OH, and as far as the backfiring stopping and stuff, it's optional -- many (most) leave the bike bone stock.

WWW   IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #29 - 06/30/08 at 20:42:23

Well as far as speed i think the savage is better than the v-star  my best friend has one and he has trouble keeping up with my savage . As far as being comfortable i would go with a 900 vulcan i am getting ready to move up to that bike myself i love my savage but i have outgrown it for the price i would get that or the suzuki c50 both great bikes and still not bad on gas verses a 1300 or something like that the honda shadow is nice but is too pricey for only being a 750 and it's size isn't all that big pretty much for a couple hundred bucks or more less  you can get an 800 or 900 cc bike with lots more room and very comfy for 2 riders . That's just my opinion i would do what others say go around and sit on different bikes you and your wife both and see what feels the best to you aswell as what fits best for your wallet . Good luck and let us know what you end up with . Wink

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:16:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Having trouble deciding, savage or v-star

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.