Send Topic Print
Night starting (Read 186 times)
BoulevardRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Night starting
06/29/08 at 18:34:18

I recently did a tuneup on my '05 S40.  Changed air cleaner, oil filter, oil and spark plug.  Also took out the lovely "e-spacer" on the needle valve.  But now, it's running a bit odd.  I live in south-central Texas where it's quite warm this time of year.  Starting my bike when I leave for work at 4 pm is no problem.  Don't even have to choke it now like I used to.  But when I leave for home at 1 am, it's nearly impossible to start, no matter how it's choked or how much gas I give it.  I'm at a bit of a loss here, as I would think the tune up would help, no hinder the bike like this.  Any ideas?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Night starting
Reply #1 - 06/29/08 at 18:36:58

What's the temperature at 0100 hrs?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 06/29/08 at 18:59:57

maybe you should have shaved the spacer instead of removing it completely.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 06/29/08 at 19:33:08

Put the spacer back in ,and you'll get better gas mileage too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 06/29/08 at 19:50:19

I so wish I would have left the jetting and everything stock. I'm having a really crappy time trying to get things right. Then today I went to open the exhaust a little more for more sound..... now it totally sounds like CRAP. WHY WHY WHY did I have to touch it.... grrr.

with the needle gone your putting a lot of gas already into the cyl, so that may be part of the problem.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 06/29/08 at 19:56:42

If you jet for the most power you are going to be to rich,and it want run right at normal speed.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/29/08 at 22:35:30

It's your 1st post, so don't know anything about your bike.

But you said "E" spacer, not white spacer.  What does that mean?

I'm concerned cause if it's the type of needle from a dynajet kit with adjustable needle and you pulled out the E-ring that holds it in place, it is now free to do whatever it wants.

WWW   IP Logged
BoulevardRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/02/08 at 13:52:15

Temperature at 0100 isn't much different than the day.  It's only about mid 80's at night.  Could it be the humidity with sun down?  That's about the only thing I can think of.  I also have a tiny leak from the front valve cover.  But I don't think that would effect this.  I tuned a car's valves with the car running and the valve cover off and it ran fine, a bit messy of course lol, but ran ok.  As for the "e-ring", it's what the clymer manual calls it.  I'm referring to the spacer that everybody says to remove or shave.  I'm guesing Suzuki calls it the "e-ring" due to the fact that it's in there to meet "emissions" (hence the e?) by making it run so lean.  Doing that really did improve my day starting drastically, and when it finally starts at night, it runs a lot better as well.  Don't have to keep it choked for nearly as long.  Whenever it stops raining and I can ride it to work again I'll try to get a video of day and night starting so you can see the difference.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 07/02/08 at 19:05:43

I don't know about yours, but if I choked my bike at all at 80 degrees, I'm not sure it would want to start either.  I quit having to choke it at all when the morning temp got up around 50.  I just changed the idle jet, and that made cold starts even easier.  Have you tried just leaving the choke and throttle alone and just using the clutch and starter switch?  Might be worth a try.  Unless your bike is afraid of the dark, I can't think of any reason it would start better in the daylight, all else being equal.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #9 - 07/03/08 at 05:04:02

With daytime temps here in the 90s and night time in 75-80 range I have never used the choke on my bike to start it.

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #10 - 07/03/08 at 05:19:40

What exactly is happening when you try to start... is it cranking, clicking, wildly sparking, one crank and a groan? Does the headlight dim?

Could condensation be an issue? Check to make sure your battery and spark plug connections are tight and that there are no breaks in any electrical wires. As a test, you can do a day start when it fires up normally, hose it down then try starting again.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:23:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Night starting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.