Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Storage room? (Read 189 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

Storage room?
06/29/08 at 17:31:58

Hello Everyone!  I'm a new owner and now realize I need space to store things on the bike while riding.  I know that there are saddlebags available but also wanted to know if there are any alternatives to the saddlebags, for ex: top boxes or sissy bar bags?  Any suggestions of what you may be using?  Are there any hard saddlebags available?  Any specific sites I can visit that are reputable?  Thanks in advance!  Smiley

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Storage room?
Reply #1 - 06/29/08 at 17:49:14

I have a set of hard bags that weren't too hard to mount and a cheap bag (15.00) from wal-mart that goes on the passenger seat (also serves as backrest for me)

here's the place i got the hard bags from http://www.mutazu.com/index.html

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 06/29/08 at 17:55:35

Here are a few threads I found by doing a search on "hard saddlebags."

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1213920402/5#5
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211430340/0#0
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1212899726/19#19

Oh heck, just do a search and you can pick through countless threads on the subject.  

I took a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler, laid it on its side, painted the top black, put it in a black stuff bag and strapped it across the back seat.  Water tight, shock proof, and $30 including mounting stuff.  Others have purchased hard bags from Leatherlyke that run closer to $400-$500.  One fella uses a five gallon bucket.  My saddlebags are from an equestrian saddle.  The most recent pics of my "Grapes of Wrath" cycle are in the Cafe in my FSSNOC ride report thread.  Paladin has some nice bags.  And I think it was Al from NH who just mounted some different hard bags on his.  Another mounted ammo cans on each side of his bike and painted them up nice.

There are lots of options out there.

EDIT:  Oops.  While I was rambling on, Al was speaking for himself.  At least I got it right.  Would have been embarrassing to name him and be wrong.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 06/29/08 at 19:06:40

How much work are you willing to do the get storage?

My Leatherlyke Saddlebags are top quality and bolted on without me having to rework anything -- for $430 they ought to.  (may require the sissybar rails.)

The same people make a 19" long x 17" wide x 14" tall case to go on a luggage rack.  A bit big for our rack, but you could fabricate a rack to mount to the side rails, perched over the pillion, to hold it.  Then again, once you have that rack, you could build an 18" wide  x 27: long x 8" deep pickup box to sit on the rack.

Very little is made to fit the Savage/S40.
Anything can be made to fit the Savege/S40.

Whatever you want can probably be done.

WWW   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #4 - 06/29/08 at 20:36:02

Here's what I use -- all of it is easily removable except for the fork bag, which stays on all the time.  I "mix and match" depending on what my plans are for the day and my guess on the weather.

(Apologies to those who've seen these photos before!  Smiley)

Dowco "Overnighter" tail bag:

Fork Bag:

Dowco from the front, with fork bag:

Small magnetic tank bag (Marsee Mini Bullet Bag):

Medium magnetic tank bag -- this one has an expansion gusset:

I'm not sure when I'll get around to converting some old leather briefcases into saddlebags, but that's on the "to do" list somewhere.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
aebooze

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingsland, GA
Reply #5 - 06/30/08 at 06:14:26

I've got the suzuki saddlebags for the s40.  They don't have too much room in them but they work pretty good for my purposes.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #6 - 06/30/08 at 11:38:44

I bought this 7 piece set for my old Honda Rebel.  Carried over to the Savage and now use the saddlebags on the Shadow.  Very good quality of the price and you get 7 pieces ($25+ at walmart for just a forkbag).  I've had good comments on the looks as well.  Even though it's "buffalo" leather, the pieces really do look good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories...

They are sold by several ebay sellers, so if you're interested look for the best price with shipping.  I think I paid $60 for mine shipped.  But that was 3-4 years ago.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 06/30/08 at 11:43:58

When I was riding the Savage, I only used a trunk that slipped over the sissy bar. Worked great. Now I can pretty much carry anything I want, but I find myself using my trunk and tank bag most of the time and leaving my side bags at home. Sometimes if I don't think I'm going to carry anything, I take the trunk off as well and just use the tank bag to hold minimal stuff (including rain gear which I never ride without).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:30:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Storage room?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.