SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: Sissy Bar Purchase
Reply #30 - 07/01/08 at 10:31:21

Oh, oh oh... You're RIGHT! The turn signal wire goes through the big hole there. That little stud that goes through the back hole from my picture. I don't think it does anything exactly though, except maybe help line up the rail to the other bolts.

DO me a favor and take a shot of the back of the Savage (sissybar) rails) - That may help.

There is a shot of the rails that I sent to dills. You can see the holes for the turn signal are back there like they should be... I should've turned one over for a rear shot I guess...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #31 - 07/01/08 at 10:32:29

Regarding the saddlebag supports - they are different from the Savage to the S40.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #32 - 07/01/08 at 10:32:32

4carbcorvair wrote on 07/01/08 at 10:27:57:
There is a definate stud of some sort either off of the turn signal or side bar that goes through the fender. I would have to say it's part of the turn signal without taking everything apart.

It's not part of the turn signal... You'll see that when you pull them off.

I think you're golden to take off your factory S40 rails and try mounting the other set.

If you don't want to... Then I'll post how I do it tomorrow when my rails come in.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 07/01/08 at 10:45:29

heres a 2000 savage i found on bikepics.com

the pattern looks exactly the same as the S40 by eye.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #34 - 07/01/08 at 11:27:15

dills84 wrote on 07/01/08 at 10:45:29:

Is that image reversed? The exhaust and drum bracket looks to be on the left side... Overseas model possibly?! :-P

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 07/01/08 at 11:33:16

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 07/01/08 at 11:27:15:
dills84 wrote on 07/01/08 at 10:45:29:

Is that image reversed? The exhaust and drum bracket looks to be on the left side... Overseas model possibly?! :-P

i mirrored it to compare it to your fender easier.. haha

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #36 - 07/01/08 at 13:45:45

flcruzr wrote on 06/29/08 at 17:27:25:
Hello!  I'm wondering if anyone can advise me where would be a good site to purchase a sissy bar for an s40?  (Best Deals)  Wink

I have a complete set that I will be getting rid of shortly. I'm in the midst of putting hard side and top cases on my Savage, and will not have any use for the Sissy Bar. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I'm putting Pelican 1500 cases on the sides, and a Storm iM2720 on top. The cases just arrived about an hour ago. I've already found that the top case will hold my modular helmet, jacket, and pants, with a little more room if I need it. The side cases are big enough to hold tools and enough clothing for a trip of several days duration. The combination of yellow cases and black bike should stand out.

This winter, I hope to make alterations that will allow me to attach and detach the bags quickly, but for this first trip, they will be bolted on. Pictures later, in another thread.

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 07/01/08 at 14:51:41

When ordering the sissy bar, does it come with the rails to mount it, or are the rails sold seperate?

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #38 - 07/01/08 at 14:54:28

I'm pretty sure it's sold as a set.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #39 - 07/01/08 at 23:50:12

4carbcorvair wrote on 07/01/08 at 10:27:57:
My wires do not go through the fender. There is a definate stud of some sort either off of the turn signal or side bar that goes through the fender. I would have to say it's part of the turn signal without taking everything apart. I don't know what else to tell ya unless I have some sort of oddball bike. :shrug: My eyes, fingers and camera all seem to agree.  Undecided

What you can feel is a bolt that goes through just above the turn signal position and bolts into the leg of the sissy-bar. See the "red star" on my previous pic.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #40 - 07/02/08 at 05:51:40

Phil - Not on the S40 rails... There is no bolt in the back of our rails, just a little "stub" that sticks into an open hole. As I stated, its almost like an adjustment piece that helps keep the bar in place.

Granted - from what has been stated, we should be able to use that particular hole for the Savage rails with the sissybar.

I'll be able to confirm, as soon as UPS brings my package today.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #41 - 07/02/08 at 09:23:32

Sorry simon - I get a little confused these days! I thought you meant on the Savage rails

I think I need to go and ride some to clear my head..  Grin

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #42 - 07/02/08 at 09:25:29

No, that's alright... 4carb was talking about his stock S40 rails on the bike... I was trying to clarify that point.

The UPS man should be dropping my box off shortly. He's usually there around 12:30 or so. Probably won't have time over lunch to get it finished up though, especially if I need to run for shorter bolts!

I'll try to snap pics of it though once I'm there and may try a quick "test fit" just to see... Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #43 - 07/02/08 at 10:42:07

OK... The results are in!

The box with my rails and sissybar came in today while I was home for lunch and I was able to snap a few pictures.

It looks like I will be able to mount the sissybar on my Savage, without drilling any new holes. The two front bolts from the S40 are way too long for the Savage rails, by at least a good 1/2" or so...

Here are some pictures (although crappy), so you can get an idea:

Here is the stock S40 fender and the Savage rails

Here's the back side of the rail, notice there are 3 holes there, the front 2 use the bolt and nut, the 3rd one back uses just the bolt - all of which came off the S40.

Here is a side shot of the sissybar. There are 2 holes in the rails of the bar that will need to have bolts put in them. THe bottom of those holes lines up with the hole in the rear of the fender - this is the same spot on the S40 rail that was a little "nipple" that stuck in - as I've stated, almost like a placeholder.

The top bolt sticks out at the top of the fender, as seen below.

Sooo... It looks like it will work, without drilling ANY new holes. Also, the stock S40 turn signals do fit on the Savage rails. I know one of the old threads that was linked said the differences were having the screws flush mounted (Savage) or mounted on the top (S40) - The signals fit in and the screws fit and hold it just fine.

I need to hit the hardware store after work today to get a couple shorter bolts, but it'll be going on as soon as I'm back from that. Work can't be over soon enough!

Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 07/02/08 at 11:15:09

the rails that SimonTuffGuy sent me from his S40 also fit on my savage 100% perfect. I just need to buy longer bolts by about 1/4"

No drilling required... horray.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 18:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sissy Bar Purchase

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.