Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Sissy Bar Purchase (Read 769 times)
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Sissy Bar Purchase
Reply #15 - 07/01/08 at 06:44:25

looks like ill be drilling! i just got a set of rails off of an S40 for my savage. it seems like they should line up? very weird.

IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/01/08 at 06:47:59

Do the blinkers fit in both rails?

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #17 - 07/01/08 at 07:26:11

Thanks for the varify Phil. Smiley

Anyone want some used rails???  Lips Sealed

07 S40
  IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/01/08 at 07:39:11

they look indenticle on the fiche parts finder? very strange.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #19 - 07/01/08 at 09:13:48

Awkward...

dills and I swapped rails. I'm getting his with the sissybar and he's getting mine without.

It looks like it'll be more of a problem from someone with a Savage going to the S40 rails than my S40 going to Savage rails, just because of where the sissybar hole is in the fender on the Savage. It looks like the S40 rails may not be high enough to cover that hole or the holes for the turn signals?

dills - I'll take a picture of my fender when I get home for lunch so you can get an idea of where the holes are for the stock S40 fender... Could you do the same with your Savage, just to get an idea with the rails REMOVED?

Thanks. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #20 - 07/01/08 at 09:24:30

And now... I'm going ask about the saddlebag brackets!

Are they different from the Savage to the S40? Because I just ordered a set of them (last week)... I'm sure that I'll be able to make them work one way or another... But it'll be interesting to see how that works out too.

Where do they mount on the Savage? The rear front bolt and the sissybar bolt? And on the S40, so the mount to the 2 most rear bolts (which is still really close to the front)?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/01/08 at 09:48:30

According to this OLD thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1128806153

you don't need to do any drilling. but you will need to buy new bolts because the S40 rails are thicker.

Can anyone verify this? Smiley

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #22 - 07/01/08 at 09:59:23

The Savage sissy bar sides next to my 07 S40. Front two bolt holes line up, rear/turn signal light is obviously way off. The helmet lock also lines up fine as you can see. Unless the sissy bar side rails I have are off a different bike.

07 S40
  IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/01/08 at 10:03:01

4carbcorvair wrote on 07/01/08 at 09:59:23:
The Savage sissy bar sides next to my 07 S40. Front two bolt holes line up, rear/turn signal light is obviously way off. The helmet lock also lines up fine as you can see. Unless the sissy bar side rails I have are off a different bike.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/4carbcorvair/S40%20bike/S40Bike.jpg

but the turn signal is only on the rail... not in the fender? so having it move wouldnt change anything.

also, the helmet lock is on the rail and not the fender.

just as long as the mounting bolts to the fender are the same... should be ok.

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #24 - 07/01/08 at 10:09:03

dills84 wrote on 07/01/08 at 10:03:01:

but the turn signal is only on the rail... not in the fender? so having it move wouldnt change anything.

Part of the turn signal or some sort of stud goes directly through the fender. It is very obviously felt on the inside. If this is the case, another hole would have to be drilled for the stud to go through.

Yes, I was using the helmet lock as reference to compare the two rails. The front bolt holes and helmet lock line up perfectly. Smiley

By looking at my bike, a new hole will have to be drilled if I want to install these.

07 S40
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #25 - 07/01/08 at 10:10:42

Here's a shot of my fender without the rails too:

There is a hole in the back, but there is where the wiring for the turn signal was put through. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes tomorrow when I get the rails in. It makes sense to have the bolt in the rear with the sissybar, because of the extra force put on that area with someone leaning back on it.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #26 - 07/01/08 at 10:17:30

To me... It looks like we'll have to enlarge the hole that the turn signal wire went thorough on the S40, and possibly drill 1 hole for the wiring to go through now.

I'm not too worried about it... Having the sissy bar for the price I got it for? Well worth having to drill a hole or so. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/01/08 at 10:19:25

4carbcorvair wrote on 07/01/08 at 10:09:03:
dills84 wrote on 07/01/08 at 10:03:01:

Part of the turn signal or some sort of stud goes directly through the fender. It is very obviously felt on the inside. If this is the case, another hole would have to be drilled for the stud to go through.

Yes, I was using the helmet lock as reference to compare the two rails. The front bolt holes and helmet lock line up perfectly. Smiley

By looking at my bike, a new hole will have to be drilled if I want to install these.

the turn signals on my savage dont touch the fender at all. they mount to the rails and the wire runs inside of the rail up to the seat.

IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 07/01/08 at 10:21:45

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 07/01/08 at 10:10:42:
Here's a shot of my fender without the rails too:

http://www.pimptiva.com/S40_Fender.JPG

There is a hole in the back, but there is where the wiring for the turn signal was put through. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes tomorrow when I get the rails in. It makes sense to have the bolt in the rear with the sissybar, because of the extra force put on that area with someone leaning back on it.

just by eyeballing it looks like the same bolt pattern except for the turn signal. do your turn signal wires go through the fender? mine dont.

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #29 - 07/01/08 at 10:27:57

My wires do not go through the fender. There is a definate stud of some sort either off of the turn signal or side bar that goes through the fender. I would have to say it's part of the turn signal without taking everything apart. I don't know what else to tell ya unless I have some sort of oddball bike. :shrug: My eyes, fingers and camera all seem to agree.  Undecided

07 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:27:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sissy Bar Purchase

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.