Send Topic Print
new exhaust backfire (Read 191 times)
mattpsmith001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new exhaust backfire
06/29/08 at 13:54:47

I just put on a new jardine slip on muffler and it sounds great but it backfires when i shift and when i down shift. ive heard a few things that i can do but i want to get some other opinions. ive been told that i need to rejet the carb but im running a little low on cash to do that. does anyone know if there is another way of fixing this problem?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: new exhaust backfire
Reply #1 - 06/29/08 at 13:57:44

You can get new jets dirt cheap from Ebay and they work fine.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #2 - 06/29/08 at 14:03:08

What is it the guys are always talking about to get rid of the backfire?

Swear I cant remember Roll Eyes Try the Tech section.You may need to do that anyway to get rid of the backfire...sorry I'm not much help on that.

How are the floorboards doing? (That was you right,that just put them on?)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 06/29/08 at 14:12:50

Click on the link below, then scroll down the page until you get to the carburetor section.  All the answers are in those articles.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
mattpsmith001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/29/08 at 14:13:14

yeah that was me with the floor boards.  they are great. i have a little alteration to do to them. i need to change the angle a little bit to them but other than that they are great.  thanks for all the help

IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #5 - 06/29/08 at 16:04:55

Not trying to jack this thread but since we're on the subject.  I've checked the tech section and just have some questions.

I have an 86 with a Jardine as well.  I am getting a strong backfire at shut off and some lag in acceleration.  Also, my header pipe is turning gold.  This means I am running rich, correct?  Can I fix this by adjusting the idle mix screw?  Should I go in or out?  Also, I believe it has the original jets.  Can I tune with this setup or do I need some different parts?

IP Logged
gar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/29/08 at 17:52:03

I just got thru doing what your experiencing! I have a 95 650 savage, put on newJardine Muffler and you MUST RE-JET! Not hard to do just look in the treads here and they tell you exactly how to do it. This is where I got most of my info.
First things first, when you put on new muffler did you get new seal for it? You must do this first and then add some Hi-Temp Silicone around it to make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks and do same at Head Gasket! put in New one. After you do Carb Kit you must remove cap from adjustment screw and turn all the way in and then turn out about 2 1/2 turns or more, use this as a start as I had to fiddle with mine to get right. I carried a small screw driver with me for a while and would have to keep adj every so often to get it where it didn't POP. I get one once in a while but I can live with that! Not like B4!!!! I got my carb kit off Ebay but there is one on here that people rave about. I paid like 25$ for mine and it worked good. I did't replace any washers as everyone speaks of, maybe guy B4 me did done know but really don't think so as he had stock jets in carb.
To re-jet carb is NOT hard to do as long as you take your time and read the threads on how to do it. Hope this helps. And with the Jardine Muffler! What a difference and sound! Just Like one of the BIG BOYS now! Good Luck Grin

IP Logged
mattpsmith001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/29/08 at 18:08:56

but where is the adjustment screw located. do i have to take anything apart or can i get to it with everything together? I keep hearing adjust about this adjustment screw but i dont know where it is. please send me a picture or something to help me locate this. thanks

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 06/29/08 at 18:14:20

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
mattpsmith001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/29/08 at 18:19:23

hey thanks alot. that helps me a lot. i will give all of this a try. and let everyone know how it goes.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 06/29/08 at 18:20:22

10-4.

gar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/29/08 at 18:30:42

And see in the picture of thst vent hose that has spring wire wrapped around it? Pull that wire off the hose and make sure it's NOT CRACKED or SPLIT!!! This was causing mine to POP when I shut off. Never would of known to look here till I same local help about it! Good Luck,  Winkgyale

IP Logged
mattpsmith001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/29/08 at 18:54:26

hey thanks alot gyale ill also check that. i have one more question for everyone. what should i use to seal the muffler to the header pipe. i think that might be part of the problem.

IP Logged
gar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/29/08 at 19:02:45

I went to cheater-ship paid like 15$ for new gasket, it's doesn't look like it's going to fit! It's metal with copper sleeved wrapped around it. I put on Hi Temp Gasket sealer from Auto Store and cranked down tight on the muffler Clamp that came with your new Jardine Muffler, this is a good tight clamp, one other trick, put all back together get clamp tighted down, now go out around block, NOW re tighten that bolt on the the clamp you will probelly get a full turn or two and you know this is tight! Grin

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/29/08 at 20:04:38

Here is a cheap carb jet kit that I bought and installed.  It works great:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&category=3559...

Permatex Hi-Temp silicone sealer will only withstand 600 degrees continuous duty.  Header pipes and manifolds on cars need 1200 degree paint, otherwise it burns off.  I do not know how hot the header and muffler on the Suzuki get, but I'll bet its more than 600 degrees.  Permatex makes a product for this and it is good for 2000 degrees:

http://www.caswellplating.com/permatex/permrepairprods.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:15:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new exhaust backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.