Send Topic Print
turn signal trouble (Read 125 times)
moose371
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

turn signal trouble
06/29/08 at 12:00:21

My LS650 is only a year old and I am having trouble with the turn signals. If the bike is not running I can turn the battery key and operate the signals. if I run the bike for a few miles the signals will not work. Does any one have any ideas?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: turn signal trouble
Reply #1 - 06/29/08 at 14:58:44

Do they start working again as soon as you shut the engine off, or does the bike have to cool down first?

Without more info, the only idea I have is to roll it right into the dealer, explain that it's a year old, and ask them to fix it.  How long is the warranty on these things, anyway?  Mine was elderly when it moved in with me.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/29/08 at 22:45:52

My guess would be the flasher.

WWW   IP Logged
moose371
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/30/08 at 03:04:51

The bike has to cool down first before they start working again. Dealer gives me the run around and says he can't even look at it for a month because they are so far behind. Warranty is only good for one year and it was up at the beginning of the month. The 4 ways will not work either when the turn signals stop.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 06/30/08 at 05:08:10

I wouldn't let the dealer screw you around. This is a safety issue and if you were in an accident because of faulty turn signals you could sue the daylights out of the dealer and corporate. Go to Suzuki.com and click on the tag at the top that says 'Inside Suzuki'. It will give you some options, or call their customer service number at  714-572-1490. Customer service representatives are available from 8:30AM to 5 PM PST. Tell them the dealers response is not acceptable and for the sake of a month the problem should be fixed under warranty and fixed now.

Focus on the safety issue and if you don't get satisfaction tell the customer service person (lord knows where they will be located), to bump you up the line to a manager.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 07/01/08 at 13:04:11

The flasher is over the engine.  It works on a thermal principle, heats up, and the contacts open , which cools it, which closes the contacts which heats it up which.... etc etc etc  If it is faulty, then heat from the engine might affect it.  

so..... I agree with Verslagen1 that there is a high probability that the flasher unit is the culprit.

Did you notice if it fails quicker on hot days????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
moose371
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/08/08 at 02:25:22

Just picked up and installed a new turn signal flasher. Turn signals are operational at last. Thanks to all for the good advice!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:23:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › turn signal trouble

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.