Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Growing paint bubble on tank (Read 128 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Growing paint bubble on tank
06/29/08 at 10:39:48

I get more compliments on my paint job than anything else. Kind of influenced my own decision to buy this bike. It's an old style metal flake with a shine that blinds me when the sun hits it just right. This color would be a nightmare to match.

Problem is a growing paint bubble a few inches from the gas cap. It was just an inch or two before the summer, and has grown to the size of a silver dollar. I've done a lot of research, and like anything else, there's no quick fix. Well, unless there's someone here who has a suggestion. It seems that it would take a total re-paint, which I will not do before the winter.  

It looks like I could cut it, and squeeze something in there to make it adhere to the tank again, but I don't want to make it worse. I guess it's about science and the elements which would be safe for paint. I don't want to introduce something to the paint that will cause it to deteriorate. I was thinking that nail polish may work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FSO
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Growing paint bubble on tank
Reply #1 - 06/29/08 at 15:37:53

in my wall paper days we used an equine syringe and needle full of paste to get rid of those nasty bubbles...
how big is your bubble??
if small enuf you may be able to pop that zit and just clear coat the whole tank...me thinks a lil super glue might help with larger bubbles.. is there a flaw in the paint near the tank throat where gas could get under the paint?? paper towel around neck b4 fill ups after tank is repaired..keep us posted...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 06/29/08 at 16:52:52

Thanks for the response TC. Just a few weeks ago it was pretty small, about the size of a pencil eraser. I'm guessing that the heat of the summer has something to do with it expanding. It's probably about 2" now. The paint seems pretty thick, and may be easy to work with regarding superglue or something similar. The PO said that it was hit with over 15 coats of paint, and I believe him.

My primary concern with squeezing a substance like superglue under the paint, is that it may cause some adverse chemical reaction. Regardless, I feel that it's just going to get worse if I don't do something.

Thanks for the syringe suggestion, I found one here: http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productclassid=1525. I'll do an injection and try to even it out with a credit card wrapped in a chamois.

The paint is way too pretty to go over just because of this. This "blemish" is really annoying to look at. Kind of like a beautiful woman with a black eye. I'll take a cosmetic problem over an engine problem anytime though.

No flaw that I could detect by the gas cap, although it's pretty close to it. I always use a bandana when filling up for just that reason. Thanks again.

FSO
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 06/29/08 at 18:18:03

I see that you live in New Jersey.  I don't think a little super glue is going to hurt the paint anymore than the air where you live.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 06/29/08 at 19:19:48

The biggest problem with the air here at the Shore is that it contains salt, being that I'm just 8 short blocks from the Atlantic Ocean.

FSO
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 06/29/08 at 19:20:46

That's what I figured.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 06/29/08 at 19:26:51

I got caught in a sandstorm last week also riding at 65mph on a 2 lane highway. Wasn't from the beach though, a freakin dump truck spewing the stuff at me. Saw him about a mile up and started feeling it as I got closer. To pass or not to pass? Yeah, I passed him. Made me appreciate raindrops a whole lot more.

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/30/08 at 09:05:57

I'd go the superglue route, if you leave it will continue to grow.  So at least pop it to let the air out.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 06/30/08 at 12:01:41

Thanks VS. I'll try the superglue thing.

As for the syringe, it seems that I need a prescription to purchase one. Maybe the stealership can write me one. If not, I found another one made for teeth.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:26:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Growing paint bubble on tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.