Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
please help! Carb occasionaly dumps fuel? (Read 92 times)
Gaholfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Warner Robins, GA
please help! Carb occasionaly dumps fuel?
06/29/08 at 10:16:02

could someone please give me some idea why for the most part my bike. Runs fine, bits its happened 2 or 3 times in the past 2 weeks...she's running fine one min and then for some reason she started running rough   and would struggle to idle.  To keep it from dying while stopped I would have to hold the throttle open a bit bit the she would dump fuel from the carb overflow tube.  Then it would idle for bout 20 seconds and die again without holding throttle back...can someone please give some pointers?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, and I'm not sure if this would have any bearing, but this last time it happened I was driving in rain... Hadn't done that before...

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: please help! Carb occasionaly dumps fuel?
Reply #1 - 06/29/08 at 13:32:01

Sounds to me like the float might be sticking once in a while. Try opening the drain on the bottom of the float bowl and catching whatever comes out in a can or glass so you can look at it. You might have some water or dirt in there. If you do, there might also be some in the fuel tank.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gaholfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Warner Robins, GA
Reply #2 - 06/29/08 at 17:55:18

man, I guess it could be, its a little disappointing though because I just cleaned the heck out of the carb a couple weeks ago.

I need to add that after the weather cleared, I went back out and ran the motor for a good twenty min just cooling it off with the water hose and spraying water all over everything. Narrowed it down to what appears to be an air/vac leak at the fitting between the carb and the motor on the carb side. Motor bogged down consistently when I sprayed it in that particular spot.  And there is also a bit of rust in the tank that I had planned on taking care of this winter since, due to gas prices, I a m depending on this baby to get me back and forth to work.  Could the rust in the tank be causing the float/needle to hang open on occasion??  Would an inline fuel filter fix it til I can properly take care of the rust??

Please respond...I'm doin my best here, but  relying on you guys' vast experience as I have none myself.

Thanks for the reply Charon, I will certainly check out that fuel in the bowl.   Anybody else out there have a similar leak at the carb as I described earlier?  The clamp is tightened down as much as possible. Short of applying some rtv I'm not sure what I should do. Replce the fitting maybe? Could it have hardened?

Thanks again guys and gals for any help!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 06/29/08 at 21:16:50

If you have rust in the tank, you are bound to have some of it getting into the float valve. Install an in-line fuel filter to block any more of it, and clean out the carburetor. I think there is a screen in the tank, but tiny particles will get past that. Carry a spare filter with you, in case the installed one plugs up.

Usually when people look for a leak in the intake system they spray WD-40 around it. When that gets in the intake it will make the engine run faster, I am told. If you actually find a leak, examine it to see whether it is actual damage, or just a place where maybe you didn't get it sealed correctly when you last cleaned the carb. You could probably plug a leak with RTV. Worth a try. At least if it doesn't work you can get it back off with no permanent damage.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gaholfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Warner Robins, GA
Reply #4 - 06/30/08 at 05:04:57

hey thanks again Charon. I'll definitely install the filter.  Yesterday I tried the wd40 trick but didn't really do much. I'll give that another shot today now that she's completely dry and will let you know.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 06/30/08 at 08:31:58

You probably already know this, but if you don't, here goes. Motorcycle fuel tanks usually have an ON and a RESERVE setup. ON uses a little standpipe a couple of inches long to take fuel from some distance above the bottom of the tank. When the fuel drops below the standpipe, the engine quits. You then switch to RESERVE, which takes fuel from the bottom of the tank. The bottom is where the dirt and water will have settled. So when you switch to RESERVE you might suddenly have problems that weren't there before.

Edited to add: The old Alaskan bush pilots used to have to fuel their planes from rusty fuel barrels. They filtered the fuel through a chamois. It stopped rust particles, and also was said to stop water. I have never tried it, but you don't have much to lose.

You said you have rust in the tank. I imagine that means there was water in there, too. If you haven't already tried cleaning out the tank, this might be an excellent time to do so. Take it off the bike. Pour the fuel into some suitable container (through a paper coffee filter in a funnel). Remove the petcock. Hose out the tank. Put a cork in the petcock hole. Pour in a couple quarts of soapy water and drop in a handful of good-sized hex nuts (count them) or a foot of chain. Shake the whole thing around, including inverted (hold your hand over the filler). The hardware helps knock loose any rust or dirt. Dump everything out, and inspect the tank as best you can. Repeat until it looks clean. Rinse with clean water and use a hair dryer to blow out any remaining moisture. While it dries clean out the petcock. Reassemble. If your fuel seems OK, reuse it. Wouldn't hurt to pour it through the coffee filter again. With any luck, that ought to solve some problems for you.

« Last Edit: 06/30/08 at 18:09:17 by Charon »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:20:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › please help! Carb occasionaly dumps fuel?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.