Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: newbie question regarding running lean, rejett (Read 70 times)
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Re: newbie question regarding running lean, rejett
06/28/08 at 22:40:03

How can I tell if my bike is running lean? it's a used, 2007, with blueing on the pipes.  can i rejet it? (I don't know exactly what that means or  know rejetting has been talked alot on this forum, but I don't know where to begin.  I live in a  hot climate, Miami, and from what I've read that has something to do with it running hotter.

Sorry about all of the questions at once, but if I could just get a starting placehow to do it, but trying to figure it out by reading stuff here, plus I bought the Suzuki Service Manual).  Do I do anything with the carborator? and should I order the CD? will that show me what to do?

I want to learn how to work on my bike but I don't want to screw it up.
Plus, my horn sucks.  Can I just buy any horn? and do I have to worry about the battery running down with a new horn?
I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.
hd

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #1 - 06/28/08 at 23:38:30

How can you tell it's running lean? Backfires, blue header, white or light gray plug, burnt valves, etc.   :'(

Yes you can rejet it, it might not be the best, but it can be better.  Read Savage Wahines carb clean, good pict's step by step, also savage gregs carb setup, good picts and labels.   Cool

Lots of good tips from everyone, for a perfect tune, watch your plug.  Get a full set of jets from lancer.  Get a few brand new plugs, wash the bike remove all dirt from around the tail pipe and clean the exit of the tail pipe.  You'll need it clean so as not to confuse old stuff with new.   Huh

Are you starting from stock? 145 main 50 pilot?  note what ever you got, you knows, the gas rationing cops may come around and force you to make everything stock.   Shocked

I changed mine to a 150 and noticed immediate improvement w/o loss of gas mileage.  I'm may change to a 152 to see how that goes, but I think the 150 is pretty darn close for me.  Stock air filter and supertrapp.

I live a hot climate too, but that isn't why you need to rejet.  Suzuki had to tune these bikes to meet epa reg's for a wide range of altitudes.  So bike at sea level are lean while those in denver are a little rich.  For your best performance you need to fine tune that a bit.  When's the next time you'll be in denver?  never?  fine rejet.  just keep in mind that once you get out of florida and see something rising up over the horizon with a road going up it, that's a mountain, your bike may not perform well as it goes rich.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 06/29/08 at 00:01:26

Yeah.  What Verslagen said.  

I just put a bigger pilot jet in mine (went to 50 from 47.5) to stop some major backfiring.  I wasn't able to tune the backfiring out with the old jet.  But, like a real genius, I failed to take into consideration that I was about to make a trip and put 500 miles on in an area 2000 feet higher than where I am now.  My mileage sucked the big swahili boo-boo stick all weekend.  I still have to tally up all the gas and the miles, but I think I probably averaged about 46 mpg or so.  Last week I was bummed if I got 50.

I also like the article in the tech section by Lancer.  "Straightforward carb tuning" or something like that.  Just go to the tech section, click on the "table of contents with links" link.  Then scroll down to the "Carb" heading and peruse the articles there.  You will learn a bundle.  If you have questions after you read that material, they will be specific and pointed questions that can be addressed more effectively.

Regarding the horn:   I went to NAPA and bought an after market 132 decible "high tone" horn for about 15 bucks.  It bolted right on where the old horn came off.  It isn't an air horn, but it's much better than the stock vibrator they put on there at the factory.  You'd have a pretty good headache from listening to the thing before you ran the battery down, I think.

Edit:  After I posted this, I re-read your post.  You asked if you can rejet, and do you have to do anything to the carburetor.  Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but I'm seeing there that you might not realize the jets are IN the carburetor.  In fact, they kind of ARE the carburetor.  Read the article on carburetor theory in the tech section for sure.  Don't look at the titles and think "that's too complicated" or "that looks boring."  Read what inside, and I promise you will learn some important stuff.  If you don't, then read them again, because the important stuff is in there.  I know this is true, because that's where I'm learning it from.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Reply #3 - 06/29/08 at 12:03:55

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the input.  I knew I would get some good info.
Kiss
hd

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:37:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: newbie question regarding running lean, rejett

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.