Springer Seat (Read 1622 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Springer Seat
06/28/08 at 18:58:11

Ultima "High Noon" 13" wide leather saddle:

Front mount fabricated from 1" x 1/8" bar stock, one piece bent into a squared 1.75" wide U and welded to a flat piece to bolt to the stock tank/front seat mount.  Rear is a bent and twisted 1" x 1/8" bar -- originally was upright which put the seat too high, reversed it still bolts to the rear driver seat mounts, supports a pair of angle irons that hold the bottom of the springs:

Quite the tush cush.  The night of July 18th is just past the Full Moon, will have to go make another run thru the Mojave to see how it does on a longer ride.

« Last Edit: 11/06/10 at 19:20:02 by Paladin. »  
WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Springer Seat
Reply #1 - 06/28/08 at 19:05:23

Oh you got it on already! Looks great and so comfortable!!

Where did you get it?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/28/08 at 19:41:11

Yeah, I want to know where you got it too. It looks fantastic! Hope it's as comfortable as it looks.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #3 - 06/28/08 at 20:10:05

I got it from Santa Claus.  Santa got it from http://www.jirehcycles.com, along with the pair of 3" springs.  (click on harley aftermarket parts, not Metric.  Get the free catalog, it's 8" x 11" x 1.75" )  Ultima "High Noon" saddles are black or brown leather, or black plastic, either 9" or 13" wide -- $50 or less.

At 13" and fairly flat across the supporting surface is considerably larger, which translates to lower psi.  Need to fit something in the space below the seat, maybe a leather tool kit.....

WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/28/08 at 22:24:22

Thanks Paladin. Can't beat the price, and it looks SWEEEET! Hope it's way comfy.
A tool bag would fit nicely under there, and look good too.
Great job!
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #5 - 06/28/08 at 23:25:47

Let us know how comfortable it is for you.  What was your old seat and how was it for you?

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - 06/29/08 at 00:01:53

oooh, tricksy!

I want to plump myself down on that and give it a try

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 06/29/08 at 00:13:25

That does look pretty comfortable.  Just don't hit a big bump, bounce up onto the tank, and crush your 8888888888 Grin

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 06/29/08 at 06:36:42

Have you ridden much with the new seat on?

Let us know how it is! From scale of 1-10 on the comfort level.

It makes your bike look different. So Cool,almost like a different bike.

Or you just got a really good angle on the pic  Undecided Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #9 - 06/29/08 at 08:28:02

Keith_T wrote on 06/28/08 at 23:25:47:
Let us know how comfortable it is for you.  What was your old seat and how was it for you?

The old seat was the stock seat.  Everyone is different, some complain of more than a half hour in the saddle.  Me, the bike fit fine.

Had the GEEIA reunion coming up and I wondered about riding the bike that far.  To check out how I do on long trips I got off work on a Friday, took a nap, rode 140 miles out to Joshua Tree National Park, 56 miles accross the park, and 160 miles back home.  Learned that I didn't get too sore.  And rather surprising, I didn't get tired!  For me, while driving a car long periods of time gets boring/tired -- riding the same route does not.  It is not boring on a bike.

Also have an itch to do an Iron Butt run.  I know I'm crazy, most others know I'm crazy, but it would be nice to be CERTIFIED Crazy.

So, last September I hopped on the bike and rode 570 miles to Holbrook AZ, then 510 miles to Amarillo, and finally 250 miles to Oklahoma CIty for the GEEIA reunion(arriving about 1 pm.)  Called number one daughter in Jonesboro AR and told her that the visit to her after the reunion was off.  Jonesboro is only a day east of OKC, but to get home in time for my anniversary would necessitate a BB1500 from Jonesboro to Needles -- and it wasn't about to happen on the stock saddle.  Instead I took mostly US60/CA62 going back, holding to about 300 miles a day.  And even then once I got home I put the bike in the garage and didn't even look at it for two days.

Needed a better Saddle.
Option: a Bill Mayer Saddle.  Only $559 for leather.
Option: a springer seat meant for a Harley.  Only $49.95.  TOUGH CHOICE.

Mounted the Saddle, a bit high and back, excelent for those 6' plus but notquite right for me.  Did a 20 mile runs, lost a nut (from the saddle mount - get your mind out of the gutter!) remounted the saddle almost to the stock position -- using nylock nuts.  Haven't ridden it far -- gas is $0.10 a mile and I don't ride just to ride -- but the initial feeling is that the flat width is FAR more comfortable.  At least for me.  As I said, everyone is different, which is why I was interested in a Bill Mayer saddle  -- they want pictures of your butt on your bike so they can make the saddle to fit inbetween.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #10 - 06/29/08 at 08:29:38

Bobbert wrote on 06/29/08 at 00:01:53:
oooh, tricksy!

I want to plump myself down on that and give it a try
You know where I live -- I gave you the address so you could pick up the muffler.  Just give me a little warning so I'll be home.  These people would benefit from a second opinion.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Final Form
Reply #11 - 07/06/08 at 14:48:55

Top view . . . . side view

Piece A of the rear mount was the first attempt, except it was bolted down with the cross part horizonal instead of vertical, which mounted the seat springs about three inches up and back of the current location.  Great for the wife's 36" inseam, not for me.  Piece(s) B was just a short length of angle I had kicking around.  All the nuts are NyLocks -- have the nylon thread grabber so they won't vibrate off.

The front mount started about four inches tall, is now 1.75" centerline of the crossbolt to the underside of the mount.  Simply 3/4" and 1" wide 1/8" barstock, bent, drilled and welded together.

Comfort?  Give the stock saddle about a 5 -- I've been on much worse, such as my TLR-200 -- I'll initally rate this saddle a 7.5.  The true test will be when I do another 500 mile run

« Last Edit: 11/06/10 at 19:23:15 by Paladin. »  
WWW   IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/06/08 at 15:52:02

looks much better. i would like to try a seat like that but solid mounted. do you have any full bike side shots?

« Last Edit: 07/06/08 at 16:54:54 by oiramagev »  
  IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #13 - 07/06/08 at 20:46:52

Looks great!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #14 - 07/06/08 at 21:30:47

a piece of sheet metal will cover up the wires for appearance.

just goes to show..  buy something, go figgure out how to mount it. and ride ride ride..

it took me several attempts before i got mine mounted the way i like it.  thats hard mounted on back and sprung on front.  it sits lower in the curve.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:42:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Springer Seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.