CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Re: Springer Seat
Reply #15 - 07/18/08 at 17:33:06

Paladin. wrote on 06/29/08 at 08:29:38:
Bobbert wrote on 06/29/08 at 00:01:53:
oooh, tricksy!

I want to plump myself down on that and give it a try
You know where I live -- I gave you the address so you could pick up the muffler.  Just give me a little warning so I'll be home.  These people would benefit from a second opinion.

Sounds like a plan.  You can try out my HD NightRod seat.  Im expecting to sit on your bike and want to ride away with it.  the seat looks so comfy.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Final Form
Reply #16 - 07/19/08 at 20:20:34

blacksheep23 wrote on 07/19/08 at 17:43:27:
Hey I'm fixin to do this mod to.Where do you get the mount plate to mount the springs?Does the stock mount fit the front part of the seat or do I have to modify it?

(from an IM)

What I wanted to, and did, was avoid any modifications to either the bike or the seat.

Part A is 1" x 1/8" bar stock from Lowes Hardware, two slightly more than 90 degree bends to fit the stock seat mounts.  Square didn't quite work, so I grabbed the short tabs with a pair of ChannelLocks and added a slight twist so that the bar fit within a 1/16".

Originally that was the sum total of the rear mount, with the cross part of the bar horizonal instead of the pictured vertical, with the seat springs bolted to that bar.  The original front mount was 4" tall.  That setup positioned the seat up and back about 2 1/2- 3 inches.  Wendy with her 36" inseam liked it, I didn't.

Plan B involved swapping the rear mount left/right and rotating 90 degrees, bolted up just the same as before.Found some 2" angle iron, sliced a couple of short pieces, drilled a few holes, made the pictured spring perches.  The six bolts connecting part A are all 1/4", the bolts connecting the springs are 5/16", all with NyLock nuts.

The front mount is simply another piece of that 1" x 1/8" barstock drilled to match the stock front mount.   The upright U is more barstock torch-bent over a 1.5" thick concrete stepping stone and welded to the bottom piece.  A 5/16" bolt serves as the pivot, a 1.5" spacer keeps things centered, and the use of a pair of nuts jammed together leaves the front of the seat free to pivot.  Final version has the centerline of the pivot bolt 1.75" above the bottom of the mount.  I ran out of the 1" so I used some 3/4" barstock I happened to have around.

« Last Edit: 05/30/15 at 21:50:53 by Paladin. »  
WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #17 - 07/21/08 at 17:42:13

how about a second one for a pillion?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #18 - 07/21/08 at 18:21:07

I had also thought about that, it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate mounts.  However, my sig line still prevails -- the screaming from the passengers disturbs the ride.

But I did come across a picture of the original too high orientation of the rear seat mount:

« Last Edit: 05/30/15 at 21:53:06 by Paladin. »  
WWW   IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #19 - 09/13/08 at 18:31:57

Paladin,

If I understand correctly, the seat came with all the attachment points and all you had to do was fabricate a u-bracket for the front and a lower spring mount at the rear, then provide the nuts, bolts, and the 3" springs? It was really that straightforward?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #20 - 09/13/08 at 20:27:23

Just about.  Big thing was several mounting variations to get the seat in the perfect position.  The front mount shrunk from 4" to under 2".

WWW   IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #21 - 09/14/08 at 19:36:01

Got mine off ebay for 35bones and I LOVE IT.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1414173/

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 03:53:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Springer Seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.