Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
About to pull my hair out! (Read 277 times)
Rustbucket

About to pull my hair out!
06/28/08 at 16:42:44

I posted about how my S-40 started to run like crap.. Needed the choke until it was hot, Had to up the idle or it would stall out in a second.. Ran ok only after a hwy run for a few miles.. Yesterday i added some seafoam to the gas.. Didn't help..

TODAY, I washed it and shammied it dry, waxed the tank, fenders.. Started it and surprisingly it sounded healthier, Pushed in the choke and it ran smoooth.. I even had to lower the idle back to the way it was..
Test rode and it drove like a dream, smooth in 1 thru 5, barely any noticeable backfire at all on down shifts or when i rolled off the throttle..
Basically it fixed itself Grin
So what i'm asking is, did the seafoam help it or was it just acting up to get me to wash and wax it?
Grin

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: About to pull my hair out!
Reply #1 - 06/28/08 at 16:57:11

Rustbucket wrote on 06/28/08 at 16:42:44:

So what i'm asking is, did the seafoam help it or was it just acting up to get me to wash and wax it?
Grin

Yes.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 06/28/08 at 16:58:46

What kind of wax did you use? I want some.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #3 - 06/28/08 at 17:52:37

Yea, what kind of wax did you use....so I can use it on my kids!

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/28/08 at 19:39:56

For kids, I use floor wax. I wax the board, then apply liberally on their little BUTT!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/28/08 at 20:01:46

I don't know why, but mine always runs better after a wash. Car too.
The Seafoam may have helped. Are you on the same tank of gas? Did you switch gas stations? I once had problems similar to yours on a Honda VLX. Ran like crap. Hesitation, poor response, bogged down with throttle unless it was really warmed up, and even then it hesitated significantly on acceleration. Two tanks of gas with carb cleaner, Marvel Mystery Oil, nothing worked. I was about ready to tear into it, when I switched gas stations. Problem solved. Bad gas the whole time, and it was a big brand name gas station too! That was three years ago, and I've only been back to a Shell station two times, both times because I was on the road, and there were no other options. Hated to do it, but I had no problem either time. May have just been the tanks at that one station. I know I'll never go back there, that's for sure.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #6 - 06/28/08 at 20:49:20

The label is washed off of the wax bottle so i can't tell you all what brand it is..

Yeah could be the gas.. My problems started at about 1/2 a tank of gas from the local korean/americans store. They claimed it was alcohol free.. I had been getting gas at Shell 89 octane. When i burned thru the korean place gas i filled up at Shell 89 oct. and it still ran bad..
Recap - Filled up on Thursday @ Shell.. Ran yucky all the way home, Put in Seafoam on Friday, Ran yucky around town for about 20 miles. Saturday it runs like a brand new bike after a wash and wax..
Go figure??

IP Logged
zilla
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/28/08 at 21:26:31

I just filled up on Walmart premium and the bike is running worse than ever. Meaning less than perfect. Far more backfires. Fortunately I'm planning on doing the valve adjustment and oil change over the 4th weekend. Since it'll be all torn apart, I may poke around the carb too. I won't be buying Walmart gas anymore though.

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #8 - 06/28/08 at 21:30:37

zilla wrote on 06/28/08 at 21:26:31:
I just filled up on Walmart premium and the bike is running worse than ever. Meaning less than perfect. Far more backfires. Fortunately I'm planning on doing the valve adjustment and oil change over the 4th weekend. Since it'll be all torn apart, I may poke around the carb too. I won't be buying Walmart gas anymore though.

You have to wonder, With gas prices this high people wouldn't be springing for the premium like they used to. So how old is that gas in the stations Premium Tank?

Does the bike run crappy right away after you get bad gas or does it take a few miles before you notice it??

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/28/08 at 22:20:51

[/quote]You have to wonder, With gas prices this high people wouldn't be springing for the premium like they used to. So how old is that gas in the stations Premium Tank?

Does the bike run crappy right away after you get bad gas or does it take a few miles before you notice it?? [/quote]

For me, it's usually within a 1/4 tank. Depends on how much "good stuff" was in there before I filled up with the bad. For what it's worth, I was also warned years ago to avoid gas at a staion that's topping off its tanks, as that stirs up trash that may have settled to the bottom. Also to avoid older/rundown stations, as their tanks may not be in good shape. I picked up some at an old Exxon a while back (different bike), and my bike just didn't run quite right. Not horrible, but it just wasn't itself til that batch ran thru, and I got some good stuff. Since ethanol free isn't available here, I've just been going to QT. No trouble with them so far, and a descent price.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 06/29/08 at 02:39:56

Bikes have feelings,if you start cussing at it it will act up,there kinda like wives,except they don't cuss back.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #11 - 06/29/08 at 03:44:02

Mine's been running bad again since I got back from my trip. The minute I got filled up close to home it started acting up. I had assumed it was because I wasn't running her for 100s of miles at 65 mph but now I wonder.

For the most part I was in big stations except for on the rez where the only station had only regular in their 2 pumps. But it was $3.86!

Come back here and I get bad gas and it's costing me $4.30. I think someone's really pulling the wool over our eyes...

I do need to wash her though. Thought I'd do that this morning.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 06/29/08 at 06:06:58

I live near a pipeline terminal. On pretty much any day you can see tank trucks bearing almost any brand, local or national, lined up at that terminal to fill with gas. That kind of makes me think all the gas is the same. It is said that each driver puts the company brand of additive in the truck before (or after) they fill with gas.

Someone on another forum says that refineries produce only two grades of gas, regular and premium. Stations selling mid-grades just mix the two together. I have no idea where the ethanol is added, in those locations that use it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #13 - 06/29/08 at 12:52:50

After my bad gas fiasco/nightmare i'm picky where i get gas now. No more quickie mart type places for me. I topped off at a Conoco earlier today and i was hopeing i was getting good gas... Turned out alright, bike ran great on my 20 mile interstate run back home 70-75 mph.  Cheesy  

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #14 - 07/01/08 at 04:07:57

So any of you running with a fuel filter? I havent had a stitch of gas issues like that... Now i dunno if its the fuel filter (some kinda golden sandy looking thinggy in the middle of it) or if its been a good run of luck...almost 2800 miles an no issues....which brings to mind...wonder how long those fuel filters are good for.... I used to not have a filter on an ATV an ran into those issues and started using filters ever since.... Just my $.00.02 in thoughts...    Wait!!! I just had a thought... oh never mind that was me thinkin again...

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:27:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › About to pull my hair out!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.