Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch slippage on tuned Savage (Read 206 times)
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Clutch slippage on tuned Savage
06/28/08 at 11:57:01

Just wanting to benefit from the experience of anybody out there who’s running a modified Savage.

I’m now up and running with my motor, which will be putting a fair bit more power through the machine than original.  It has:

Compression raised to 9.3:1
Ported head
High lift cam (from lancer)
VM carb (from Lancer)
Freeflow pod air filter (from Lancer)
Raask exhaust

Lancer ran a similar motor and saw 45hp at the wheel, but that was without the head porting and compression increase, so this engine could be putting out towards 50hp at the wheel – around double a standard Savage (I need to get it on a dyno some time and will post results, but more of that another day).

Two things I need to ask, to see if anybody out there has experienced these problems.

Despite using upgraded clutch springs, she's giving me clutch slip when I wind her on at top end – has anybody else found that with a tuned Savage?  I guess when you're increasing an engine's output by so much it shouldn't be surprising.  Anyone else encounter clutch slippage, even with uprated springs, on a tuned Savage? Is there a good kit available to further upgrade the clutch?

I also seem to be getting a 'jerking' through the transmission/drive when I start to wind some power on.  Now, it may be the clutch juddering, or I wondered if maybe the extra torque was stretching the drivebelt and causing the teeth to catch – I can only describe it as feeling similar to a chain jumping teeth on a badly worn sprocket, but the belt is new and tight and the hubs are in good condition, so I don’t think the belt can be skipping teeth.
I have no real experience with belts, but I seem to get noise from low behind my left ear when this happens, making me think the drivebelt isn't happy.  I just fitted a new belt, and tensioned it so I can just turn it 90 degrees with fingers and thumb.

And pointers gentlemen?

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Clutch slippage on tuned Savage
Reply #1 - 06/28/08 at 16:05:19

I had just installed a new clutch w/ springs when I decided to tear it all down and redo the whole thing.  There was a little clutch slip but I had not done a final adjustment on the new clutch pk yet so I cannot say for sure  whether it would hold the power or not.

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/30/08 at 11:08:05

I am not even close to where you are, but I have a pod filter, 86' stock jet, and MAC slip-on.  I was getting some slippage so I replaced the pressure plates, clutch plates, and springs with stronger EBC pieces.  I am still getting slippage especially at the top end of 3rd and 4th.  I'm trying to get a new baskets to see if mine is wearing.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/13/08 at 10:53:53

Thanks Toddlamp8 - I guess Suzuki didn't build much reserve into the clutch on these bikes - probably comes for the parts bin for a smaller machine.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 07/14/08 at 04:57:11

I had clutch slip on my 350LC after I'd tuned it (good sign elsie was making more power) and one thing I tried was preload washers, make them the same o.d. as the spring or just a few thou less,i.d. just slightly more than the post the bolt goes into and 3-4mm thick.
Ideally you want them thick enough to just be short of coil bound when the lever is against the bar.

Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/14/08 at 05:17:04

I dont unnerstand why it would be slipping toward the top of the rpm range. Seems it should slip down lower, where the hard acceleration is going on. I mean, in any given gear, isnt the force the tranny is trying to capture stouter during the quickest acceleration?
I guess what I am saying is, are you sure its only slipping at the top?
Sounds like you built a truly wicked little thumper. I hope you can solve this clutch issue & get a dyno run on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 07/14/08 at 09:00:03

That's what I though too, but I only get slippage in 4th gear when I really get on it.  It never slips in 1st or 2nd even under full acceleration.  My feeling is that with the higher gearing of 4th more torque is needed to move it and that is more than the clutch can handle.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 07/14/08 at 09:46:30

It's a little more complicated than where the torque is.

It's a combination of torque, horsepower, rolling resistance and stresses that move the mechancical components around within the tolerances of the bearings & gears in the tranny.  

Yes, the mechanical components in the tranny do shift around a bit (pun intended  Grin ).

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/14/08 at 14:29:31

Logically the highest engine resistance is seen when air friction absolutely stops the bike from going any faster.  Air resistance at MAX, enough to overcome engine output at peak HP and torque -- slip occurs then if not earlier.

Clutch fails to handle the load at 200% normal loading -- surprise surprise.

Things you can do -- roughen up the steel plates to give them a more positive bite (will result in rapid friction disc wear) and INCREASE the spring pressure (double springs (inner outer), for flat wire springs look up DIE SPRINGS in your browser for design options at heavier loadings.

Hey, you just answered one of my long term questions -- what part/subsystem was next in the failure chain to higher HP in a Savage.

Interested to see what you come up with to fix it.

Thanks!

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/15/08 at 01:47:56

There are lots of options.  

Having the metal plates surface ground for flat area contact can give a clutch another 10-25% of grip, and I could fiddle around with springs too (I already have uprated springs in there), but I think I'll look to see what's available on the market to bolt in, because I don't want to be taking the side casing off 10 times while I experiment!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 07/15/08 at 03:32:14

I was thinking more along the lines of a finishing sander with 180 grit paper, but thinning the steel disks some with a surface grinder offers the option of stacking in another steel and another friction disk (using the already worn friction plates after deglazing the surface as they are thinner).

Throw through the actuation system can be tuned with a custom rod to accomodate the slightly taller stack up.  As long as it will push enough to loosen the stack, you are good to go.

Adding a steel and a friction does actually increase the system's capacity in a real and practical fashion.

Have seen such tricks played before, using stacked belville washers to provide "spring" force in a clutch pack simply that had no room for the standard spring any more because it was full of plates.  Actual throw to unlock a clutch isn't near as much as them springs would indicate.

Next thing to look at is a taller basket, some mgfs tend to use the same design with taller basket in the bigger models.  Gotta miss the cover though.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #11 - 07/15/08 at 03:55:04

KwakNut wrote on 07/15/08 at 01:47:56:
... I think I'll look to see what's available on the market to bolt in, because I don't want to be taking the side casing off 10 times while I experiment!

I tried to find a wonderful site where a guy had squeezed 90 hp out of a mad supermotoed DR 750 thumper but the site's gone. I recall it well because he also had slipping clutch (as I do on our Savage even with stock engine) even with brand new aftermarket components. I understand he had the cover off 12 times to get it right. He used some thicker steel disks, EBC +15% clutch springs (because heavier set didn't work well) and modified the clutch cover so the taller stack of discs would fit.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:27:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slippage on tuned Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.