Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Muffler = %@*#%$!!! (Read 134 times)
Rustbucket

Muffler = %@*#%$!!!
06/27/08 at 13:44:41

Anyone ever have the stock muffler get a hole in it @3600 miles? The bike runs like crap now..i'm guessing the exhaust leak reduced the backpressure? Does that sound right? Or is it running like crap for a different reason? Now, I have to leave thechoke at the first notch just to keep it running unless i get the bike hot from a interstate run, then it runs great without the choke because.... uhhhh i'm not sure why??

I changed out the gasket thing that goes between the header pipe and the muffler and no change in the leak, I feel it leaking from under the chrome shield in the middle..

I'd like to trash the stock muffler and try something else... Anyone have a link to a muffler thats a good replacement and inexpensive?? Louder than stock yet not LOUD LOUD..?

Also i've tried to search on this site but never can find decent results.. I'll apparently have to do the rejetmod right? Where do you guys get like a rejet kit or something? Thanks!

Oh, btw the bike is a stock 05, S-40

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Muffler = %@*#%$!!!
Reply #1 - 06/27/08 at 14:50:46

Hmmmm     details.  What year is the bike.  

Small holes & leaks in the exhaust shouldn't  cause that much problems.  Some backfires, but it should still run.  I would think bad gas may be more of an issue.   Heard that some Gas station owners are back to their tricks of adding water to the gas.

As to what muffler fits and isn't too loud.  Sorry, Cory has dibs on the last Dyna take-off I'm selling.  BUT... thtere are some good pictures on my marketplace thread of the Harley Dyna take-off that is almost a direct bolt on.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1214181474

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #2 - 06/27/08 at 15:09:34

well, there is a pretty good bit of air poofing from the underside of the muffler..
The issue happened at about 1/2 tank of gas and as i was riding it.. Since then i ran it to reserve yesterday and filled it up, added a few ounces of seafoam today, No Change..

It runs alright after a good warm up but never wants to idle without the choke untill after about 2 to 3 miles of city driving.

More input is welcome.... BTW as i said when the bike is hot it'll run better at an idle without the choke..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/27/08 at 15:13:03

most likely you have a leak between the muf and header joint.

take it apart and use some high temp rtv to seal it up.

use anti seize on the bolt.

WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 06/27/08 at 15:17:09

I've heard that it's not the best idea to be riding around with the choke on...

I could be wrong, but... That's just my understanding of it... Use the choke if the engine doesn't want to idle properly when you start it...

Check out EBay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370059252307&fr...

This was a set I was watching before I found a forum member who sold me his extra...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #5 - 06/27/08 at 18:24:58

This is the muffler that I put on a few months ago and it's as you described.  Although it is now $15 more expensive than they were selling it for back then ... don't know what's up with that?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-S40-SCREAMIN-EAGLE-TYPE-MU...

The one that Simon posted would fit the bill too.  Lots of options out there for us.  Enjoy.  Cool

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #6 - 06/27/08 at 20:51:34

I'll double check again tomorrow but the leak is several inches back from where the header pipe and muffler join.
Under the heat shield theirs sort of a mesh wire area on the muffler, thats where i feel the exhaust leak, I didn't feel a leak around the joint area where the clamp is @ the two sections.
Theirs another post here saying how LOUD the screaming Eagle pipe is, I dont really want it that loud..
Is there a mid range sounding aftermarket muffler that doesn't sound like a straight pipe?
Appreciate the input guys!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/27/08 at 21:22:51

keep your eye on the market place or post there Want to buy quiet dyna muf or something like it.  bump it once in a while so it gets back up to the top and be patient.

WWW   IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #8 - 06/28/08 at 11:51:08

I heard the .WAV of the screaming eagle here, doesn't sound too bad. Might go for that one plus it's priced right for my budget. (or lack there of)  Wink

http://www.jpcycles.com/productdetail.aspx?PID=4500055&cs=Metric&GID=593B7A2F...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:22:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler = %@*#%$!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.