Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5'th Gear working right..? (Read 172 times)
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

5'th Gear working right..?
06/27/08 at 07:24:13

I know there has been a lot of talk about the 5'th gear on the savage being a little short, but i feel like mine is barely (if at all) different from 4'th. When going about 40 mph, if i shift from 4'th to 5'th I barely even notice any difference in RPM's. Is this normal for the savage? By the time i get to 65 mph I feel like she's rev'ing pretty high.  I'm just not familiar enough with the savage to know if this is normal. Thoughts?

IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 5'th Gear working right..?
Reply #1 - 06/27/08 at 07:29:30

top speed is only 80ish (depending on the bike)... so by 65MPH you ARE revving pretty high. I havent really noticed on my savage. 5th seems to work as its supposed too.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #2 - 06/27/08 at 07:35:10

This is normal. As you slow down and shift into 4th from 5th you will fel the difference. Above 50 MPH I shift into 5th, and the bike smoothes out just a little. I think the new 5th gear is just a tweak from the old four gear setup of the savage transmission.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #3 - 06/27/08 at 07:36:56

I have a slightly oversize tire (150/90-15) and with that, I picked up about a 10%  gain in speed to rpm's.  So now when the speedo say 55, I'm doing 60.5 -ish.  I do notice a difference in 4th and 5th.  But to say I'm topped-out at 80.......well I know I can get more than that......but I don't like going that fast  anyway.  This man don't like getting stopped by the federals.....
Cheesy

Because I can!
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #4 - 06/27/08 at 08:45:23

I noticed that on mine too, not much difference from 4th to 5th. I played back and forth a little bit and there is a slight difference, not much. IMO, first should be a bit higher (numerically), it seems a bit fast in first. I would like the ability to go a bit slower in traffic without slipping the clutch or engageing and disengaging. And 5th should be a bit lower (numerically).

07 S40
  IP Logged
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/27/08 at 08:47:30

Thanks for the feedback guys. After playing around with it a bit this afternoon, your right, i did notice a slight difference.  I guess i just expected it to be more "overdrive" style. At least i don't think anything is wrong with the bike.  Thanks guys.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/27/08 at 09:00:25

typically change in rpms from 1st to 4th is about 1000 rpms (digital tach 500 rpm increments)
however 4th to 5th is only 500 rpms.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 06/27/08 at 12:26:05

dills84 wrote on 06/27/08 at 07:29:30:
top speed is only 80ish (depending on the bike)... so by 65MPH you ARE revving pretty high. I havent really noticed on my savage. 5th seems to work as its supposed too.

80ish you say...  time for some jetting work.  mine curizes 80ish all day and will do 90is no problem.  

fifth is more like an overdrive than a new gear.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/27/08 at 13:26:17

ditto to what sluggo said on both counts. I've only ever been bawlzy enough to get to 85 (in a 55 zone) but it WILL most certainly hit an indicated 95 and maybe the ton if you push it. I wouldnt do so for extended periods but days trips at 80 im sure would be no issue. I generally dont break 65-70 though so i cant be absolutely certain. The 5th gear seems like it was kind of just thrown in when suzuki re-released the savage so they could say "Hey look, its got 5 gears like the other cruisers!" Could've done without it but it is kind of nice to have. Save a little gas, turn the revs down a bit like an OD. What year is your bike dill? The redlines for gears are 1 - 35, 2 - 55, 3 - 75, 4 - 90, 5 - 100. The only way you should be revving real high at 65 is if your in 3rd and even then you arent at redline.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 06/27/08 at 14:58:18

Normal.... not much ofr a jump from 4th to 5th.   I keep looking for a 6trh....  Grin Shocked

Add to Suzuki wish-lists, either a taller fifth gear (but there is no more room in the case for it.... or a smaller rear sprocket ( with speedo adaptor / corrector).

yea,... I know convert to chain drive..... but I would rather see Suzuki make a "better Fuel economy kit" with all the peices in it.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #10 - 06/27/08 at 19:41:14

Fifth really is, as Sluggo pointed out, like "overdrive". I hit it when I get up to about 60mph, and that's really when I notice a beneficial difference in RPM's.
As for the bike only doing about  80ish, I had throttle to spare at 87mph; but then my "pucker factor" kicked in. Cheesy
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #11 - 06/29/08 at 12:58:22

The distance between 4 and 5 is so small that I've caught myself on numerous occasions missing 4th completely. I just toe up a little harder than I should.

I gave up trying to count gears. My assumption if I'm doing 60 mph I'm in 5th.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 06/29/08 at 13:36:17

I wished 5th gear was an overdrive it geared way to low.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
willrph
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Wisconsin
Reply #13 - 06/29/08 at 16:45:21

Does any kow why Suzuki geared it so low?  Was it just space in the transmission?  It seems they could have taken better advantage of the engines power curve.

White spacer mod, 150 main, K&N Air Filter, Memphis Shades Slim
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:18:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 5'th Gear working right..?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.