Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My Biker Boyfriend Dumped Me! (Read 371 times)
Blissing
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Berkeley, CA
My Biker Boyfriend Dumped Me!
06/26/08 at 17:23:30

Long story short:  Six month ago, biker bf helped me buy an '04 Savage with only 600 miles on it.  I've put maybe 150 on it since then.  First it was too cold and rainy, then I got sick, then the breakup last month made me sad every time I even thought about riding.  Oh, and he's also a bike mechanic, to top off how wretched the whole thing is.  

I'm a new rider at 45 years old, and whenever I ride now I feel like I'm freefalling.  Like something's gonna happen and I won't know how to handle it.  And even though everything about riding still hurts, it's still fun and I want to do it anyway, so enough gory details!

I have questions about really basic things, like what do I do if I get a flat tire (can't call the ex even though he has a van w/ramp and everything--wah!).  I have AAA for my car--is there something similar for bikes?

I'm pretty mechanical and I've purchased the Clymer manual, but are there repair classes anywhere?  I live in the East Bay (San Francisco).

Is the best thing for carrying things saddlebags?  I have a sissy bar--should I start with some bungee cords?

I have more questions but more than answers I'd appreciate some encouragement on how to keep riding on my own, your own stories about that, even how to get myself out more--what types of errands do you run on your bikes, when is it too much hassle or not?

Thanks, I like the atmosphere in this forum!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: My Biker Boyfriend Dumped Me!
Reply #1 - 06/26/08 at 17:52:30

Ride around and enjoy yourself and you'll meet other guys and gals with lots of connections, trailers, and knowledge.  He's not the only biker boyfriend on the block.
As for bags, well mounted saddle-bags are very practical if you like the look.  I don't, so I take an over the shoulder man-bag if I plan on shopping,.. if I'm caught off guard, I still find a way to get it home.  I've ridden with two loaves of bread stuffed under my t-shirt.  ...It's like an edible airbag.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 06/26/08 at 18:13:37

Riding is good therapy so the sadness should dissipate in short time. Between the Clymers and this forum, you'll be in good hands. I think my wife recently asked AAA about motorcycle tows, I think the answer was negative, but you should double check, sometimes whatever underpaid clerk that answers the phone will have a different story everytime. Ride every day it aint raining. Got to go to the store?, take the bike. Ride to work. The more you ride, the better you get. I just started two seasons ago, 54 now, and I'm having more fun than I could ever imagine. Rode home from work last night, changed clothes then took a big loop out to the beach and back, about 2 hour ride. Was perfect.  Cool      

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 06/26/08 at 18:33:39

I have an "RV Roadhelp" plan sold through Allstate Motor Club. It covers every motor vehicle we own, including motorcycles. The phone number on the card is 800-786-2277. It claims to pay for the tow to the nearest facility qualified to work on whatever vehicle you are driving. It paid to tow my old motor home over 50 miles. When my KLR 650 developed a flat, the nearest open motorcycle shop was something like 60 miles away. In due time two guys with a pickup truck and a motorcycle trailer, and tiedowns, appeared. They took the bike and me to the dealership, and there was no charge to me other than the repair. I'd have to ask my wife, but it seems to me the charge is something like $100 per year. We have kept that policy specifically because it covers the motorcycles. Every so often we get offers from one or another auto club, but we haven't found another that covers bikes. I understand others do exist.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
zilla
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/26/08 at 18:33:54

One of the things I carry on my bicycle as well as the motorcycle is a musette bag. A cycling musette bag to be spicific.

It's very light weight and can be folded up into your back pocket. But it's spacious enough for 4 bottles of wine and then some. It's used by road racers for the team manager to hand up food and fresh water bottles to a team domestique who in turn schleps the goods up the peloton to his team mates. (4 bottles is the most I've carried in one) I take one along always because I never really know when I'm going to want a fresh bottle when I get home. As far as knowing who to call if you have troubles. You need to just meet some people to ride with every now and then. And keep thier numbers handy. Same with cycling for me, when someone is in trouble with a flat they can't fix or a broken bike, it's off to the rescue. Honor code, you do it for them, they do it for you. NO money, just appreciation and maybe a beer.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 06/26/08 at 18:56:00

think if you have AAA for your cage you can get bike policy
get a bungie net or two =more better than cords then decide on bags
if you know which end of a screwdriver to use you can peform basic maintaince with your clymers and a good set of tools..i can do it but i pay the dealer to adjust my valves..
do my own oil changes
as far as the ex: "cows may come and cows may go but the bull goes on forever" < translate(edit) as you wish
take a nice ride to a senic spot come home and toast his departure with a double shot and move one(ride first double after bike is put to bed)
edit/p.s. take a scoot up to napa valley and spend the nite at a winery   with a b&b

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/26/08 at 19:06:06

I don't know where you're at but AAA in Calif offer an RV/Motorcycle upgrade to the car membership.  Just peace of mind.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 06/26/08 at 19:46:47

Blissing,
 Did you take the Motorcycle safety course???  If not, take it, it will help a lot.  You will also meet other new bikers that would probably be willing to go on some rides with you ( if you don't go too fast for them  ....  Wink )

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 06/26/08 at 23:02:06

I use a back pack,if you adjust the straps correctly you will find the weight sits on the pillion seat.
Another tip, if you can put new tires on at the start of the season do so,or at least change the worst one,next year the other one,and so on.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 06/26/08 at 23:15:20

Blissing wrote on 06/26/08 at 17:23:30:
Long story short:  Six month ago, biker bf helped me buy an '04 Savage ....

I have questions about really basic things, like what do I do if I ....
I have AAA for my car--is there something similar for bikes?

Is the best thing for carrying things saddlebags?  I have a sissy bar--should I start with some bungee cords?

... what types of errands do you run on your bikes, when is it too much hassle or not?....

Steered you to a rather nice bike -- if you ever run into him, back up and run over him again and thank him.

When I went on my little 2300 mile putt the Wife added me to her AAA.  In Texas I pulled up to a MacDonalds, opened my laptop, got a WiFi signal, went in for lunch and to update the internet.  About a hour later a gentleman mentioned I had left my lights on (key in ignition, on position, SIGH!)  Called AAA, got a jump, all the guy wanted to see was my AAA card.  They also fix things, if they can't fix they'll tow upto 100 miles.  Free of charge.

I have Leatherlyke saddlebags -- panniers actually since they are hard cases that only look like leather.  18 quart / 20 pound capacity each side.  Can be removed and replaced in just a few seconds.  And they LOCK, which is a pretty big deal in the city with Light-Finger-Louie walking past.  $430, but I've had them 3.5 years, have laid the bike on it's side and they held the bike up, and they still look good.  A bag will hold a five-liter box of wine.  ALSO have a couple of bungie cords hooked to rear fender lip up across around sissybar, across to fender lip. (makes an XX.)  For things too bulky for the bags -- such as a case of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.  For touring I have a 21" carry-on suitcase that slips onto the sissybar: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1177262289

The MC makes a FANTASTIC shopping cart.  At Ralph's I pull up onto the sidewalk beside the door, assuming the employee with the 'Wing isn't there.  Other places use the painted triangle at the end of the parking lane, next to the cart corral, etc..   None of this hunt for a space nonsense.  Only one complaint in over three years, and I'll not go back to Wallmart due to one of their underpaid employees with delusions of authority.

p.s. Also have a Laptop Backpack -- my laptop doesn't fit the saddlebag.

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #10 - 06/26/08 at 23:22:50

Hi ,

When I first got my bike I knew of some Motorcycle Clubs in the area and went to some of their meetings,rides,etc. If you can find some in your area,just hang out awhile and get to know new people.

Also bike events,go hang out,buy stuff,talk to people.There are lists online.

Bikers are around,just start up a conversation and maybe even meet some to ride with!

Go to local bike shops,you'll meet people there.Do whatever it takes to build up your confidence. As someone said take the MSF course.

There are local tech/vocational schools that sometimes teach Motorcycle Maintenance or Repair.

The options are endless really! And probably when you learn to ride,or gain confidence and venture out further ,you'll meet more people!

As far as carrying stuff,I use/ and like my saddle bags.

And hang out here ,there could even be people here that are in your area. You never know Smiley

And I think someone mentioned,the more you ride the more comfortable you get.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Blissing
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Berkeley, CA
Reply #11 - 06/27/08 at 00:00:36

Thanks, people!

I will look into AAA and see what they say about towing help.

Also get a bungee net and look into those saddlebags.  

I will pick up liquor and wine on my bike.  And my toast will be "good riddance".

I've taken the MSF course, and I want to take the more advanced one, just need to rack up the miles.

(The hardest part) I will try to meet people!  I'm really such a loner.  

And I haven't been on the freeway yet!  Thanks again.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #12 - 06/27/08 at 00:47:46

Welcome aboard Blissing! Sorry to hear about your personal woes ... but if buddy didn't stick around, then he ain't worth havin' around IMHO ... check out some local Bike Nites ... usually Thursday evenings at a popular local coffee shop or other watering hole ... usually lotsa Bikes to meet and people to oogle!
Good Luck ... and ENJOY Ridin' that Savage!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #13 - 06/27/08 at 02:00:23

Hey Blissing I am a new rider at 50. But I got mine after I broke up with my ex.  Wink

I joined Motorcycle Towing Service - the AAA of motorcycles - since KY AAA doesn't do motorcycles. In California you have it better  than we do.

I have saddlebags but right now I left my Dowco overnighter bag on the bike and I think I like it even better! I can thrown in my work clothes and other stuff just fine without the risk of getting them dirty. it also holds plenty of groceries for just me. In my saddlebags I also carry a cargo net that I can throw on stuff on the pillion seat if I need to.

I was really nervous about the freeway until I did my trip last week. Now it's not big deal - unless of course I'm here at home. KY drivers are the worst ever! 2000 miles on interstate and no problems with drivers until I got 15 miles back outside of Louisville.

just be careful and know that there are loads of people here for help and support.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/27/08 at 02:04:20

Welcome to the site Blissing!  Cheesy  This place is full of good information on all aspects of the Savage, and riding in general.
My .02.  For hauling things around, the first "bag" I would recommend is a tail bag.  Easy on, easy off, makes a nice backrest at times.  Just make sure you don't get one that is too big for the pillion seat.
For local socializing and meeting other riders, you might want to check out http://www.meetup.com/ .  I belong to a couple groups in San Antonio, and made some great friends!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:16:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Biker Boyfriend Dumped Me!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.