Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SCreamin eagle exhaust, carb adjustment? (Read 73 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

SCreamin eagle exhaust, carb adjustment?
06/26/08 at 16:30:18

Howdy folks. I put on a screamin eagle tapered exhaust on my suzi, the one that would normally go on a sportster. I bought a stage 1 jet kit. My main jet stock is a 145 for my canadian suzi. The jet kit says to lower to a 144 for a high air flowing muffler which mine is. It appears that my spark plugs keep fouling. After warmin up the engine skips and then dies. When I drive it drives as though it has not been warmed up and staggers a bit when in first andand second gear. However, after a few minutes it drives fine, and will drive fine when I restart later. however, after cool down same problem. Also, from all the way in, my fuel mixture screw does not turn out more than 1 1/4 turn before not being able to turn more. I fear my bike maybe running rich as I am getting gold coloration on my exhaust and no longer looks nice and chromed. The first time I fouled the plug I was for sure running rich, however the second time I had the mixture screw all the way in, thus lean. I dont know what the issue is this time. all my hoses and are fine and nothing is leaking.

Please Help!!

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: SCreamin eagle exhaust, carb adjustment?
Reply #1 - 06/26/08 at 20:47:30

I would think that since the engine needs a fixed ratio of air to fuel, when you increase the amount of air flowing through it, you should increase the amount of fuel proportionally.  That's what I did.  Prior to jetting UP (after opening my exhaust) the dang thing backfired like crazy.  Now it purrs like a chicken.  I'm running a 155 main (stock on my '87) and a 50 pilot.

Does pulling your choke out a notch when the symptoms occur help, or make it worse?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/27/08 at 16:41:02

oh, pulling the choke out to 50% helps. The local shops told me a stage one jet kit would suffice. Perhaps a stage 2 with a 152.5 main would be better? My muffler is soo gold after only a month that I am embarassed.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 06/27/08 at 16:54:00

Running rich is a colder engine...  running Lean causes a warmer engine.  The pipe discolors with heat.

If your Harley muffler is the 83/80 db muffler which would be the stock take-off, you might want to try the 150 main.  As for the pilot hitting an end....  it should actually fall out if you go too far counter-clockwise.   Get in close with a maginfying glass and look for left over brass that might not have been drilled out fully.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:20:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SCreamin eagle exhaust, carb adjustment?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.