Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Valve adjustment help (Read 188 times)
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Valve adjustment help
06/26/08 at 13:21:27

hello everyone. I attempted to adjust the valves today, but after removing everything, I couldn't get the timing plug off. I thought that would be the easiest part so I took everything else off first. The slot appears to be stripped by the previous owner. Any ideas on how to remove it?

I was also checking the solenoid cable. Being that I couldn't find the TDC, Its hard to adjust the cable, but from a glance, it seems to be totally off. Can it be THAT off? What is the danger of running with that cable not properly adjusted? What does the solenoid do?

Jim

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Valve adjustment help
Reply #1 - 06/26/08 at 14:27:40

There are a couple of options to getting it off.
buy a tool, search motionpro it's in a current thread.
use hammer and chisel
use shotgun (not reccomended)
buy a spade bit, grind to shape, use wrench to turn.
2 screwdrivers and wrench.

If you use the shotgun, please set up video cam a safe distance away   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 06/27/08 at 07:46:20

Jimworx wrote on 06/26/08 at 13:21:27:
hello everyone. I attempted to adjust the valves today, but after removing everything, I couldn't get the timing plug off. I thought that would be the easiest part so I took everything else off first. The slot appears to be stripped by the previous owner. Any ideas on how to remove it?

I was also checking the solenoid cable. Being that I couldn't find the TDC, Its hard to adjust the cable, but from a glance, it seems to be totally off. Can it be THAT off? What is the danger of running with that cable not properly adjusted? What does the solenoid do?

Jim

I think you're referring to the decompression solenoid  Undecided  If so, that releases pressure on the piston to help the starter turn Suzi over.

As long as it's not too tight, it shouldn't affect anything when your thumb isn't on the starter button.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/27/08 at 12:01:48

The cable should be really loose otherwise the solenoid may not have enough poop to pull the lever over.  The solenoid opens the exhaust valve to reduce the compression and to make it possible for the starter to turn the engine over.  If the starter turns the motor over, it's probably adjusted correctly.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
caruso81
YaBB Newbies

Sherman, TX
Reply #4 - 07/06/08 at 20:22:05

Jim

Well, you could have had MY day....fixed the speedo rattle (again), changed the oil, checked and adjusted the solenoid, aligned the rear wheel, and did the valves for the first time. I'm all that and a bag of chips, right.

Not so much, it appears. When I was turning the engine with the wrench to get TDC, it slipped off and banged the threads on the timing plug hole. So, now I can't get the timing plug back in 'cause the threads are ruined. $85 for a new generator cover and gasket, not to mention 10 days waiting. I'm still in the black considering that the valve adjustment would have run me about $275 at the dealer, but it still ticks me off, not to mention the two hours it'll take to replace that cover.  I've got sprockets and chain coming, so I'll do the cover and the chain conversion all at the same time.

BTW, my valves were at less than .003. I got them as close as I could to .004...will I get valve noise if I ever get this thing running? It used to make a pleasant little clicking at idle when I first got it, but nothing for a while now.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 07/07/08 at 06:40:15

caruso81 wrote on 07/06/08 at 20:22:05:

........ When I was turning the engine with the wrench to get TDC, it slipped off and banged the threads on the timing plug hole. So, now I can't get the timing plug back in 'cause the threads are ruined.......

The case is aluminum..... get a dental pick and clean the threads.     The seal is the o-ring so you shoudl be ok.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/07/08 at 08:01:29

Those threads will fix, like the guy said. Use antisieze going back together.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
caruso81
YaBB Newbies

Sherman, TX
Reply #7 - 07/07/08 at 21:43:27

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 07/07/08 at 06:40:15:
caruso81 wrote on 07/06/08 at 20:22:05:

........ When I was turning the engine with the wrench to get TDC, it slipped off and banged the threads on the timing plug hole. So, now I can't get the timing plug back in 'cause the threads are ruined.......

The case is aluminum..... get a dental pick and clean the threads.     The seal is the o-ring so you shoudl be ok.

Well, I messed them up pretty good - crushed more or less - but since I already have a new cover coming, I thought I'd try something.... I used a Dremel to take out the section of the threads that weren't threads anymore which left me about 3/4 of the opening threaded. After cleaning the rest out and a lot of patience, I managed to get the plug threaded back on and tight without a leak. I'm assuming that this plug is not under pressure, so the missing section of threads is not critical, but the plug is still weakened. At least I can get it back up and running while I wait for that cover.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 07/09/08 at 13:05:17

Correct... not under pressure.  Did you coat the o-ring with a tiny bit of oil before re-installing????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:19:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve adjustment help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.