Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front brake pads too tight? (Read 157 times)
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Front brake pads too tight?
06/26/08 at 12:45:07

It sounds as though the front brake pads may be too tight.  Last Fall (before I bought the manual and found this site) I let the stealership put on some front brake pads for me.  Ever since then I've heard them rubbing pretty loudly.  I thought that maybe it was just where they were new, but now I've ridden thousands of miles and still it sounds like the brakes are applied ALL the time.  Is this normal or did they put them on too tightly?

...no I don't notice it dragging the bike down or anything.  It may not be a problem, but it is definitely an annoyance.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front brake pads too tight?
Reply #1 - 06/26/08 at 14:15:43

Pick the front end up and spin it.  If it don't spin at all, then it's too tight.  Otherwise, it just looks too tight.

lube the guide pins on the brake caliper or maybe you need to rebuild the caliper assy.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/26/08 at 14:49:14

You let them put Suzuki standard pads back on again -- hummmm -- bad pick.  They are noted for being noisy and short lived compared to EBC premium organic pads.

EBC is the prefered "better pad" around here.   SBC is another premium brand, but EBC seems to be gentler on your brake rotors compared to SBC pads.  Both kinds will get rid of your noise issues.

Helpful comment here, you need to do your own stuff instead of letting the stealership do it to you.  Front brake pads are easy to do -- cost savings AND NOISE savings are considerable if you do your research here on the site and do your own work to put them on.

More helpful comments, you need to try to use the SEARCH function looking for EBC vs SBC, or Front brake pads, or front brakes.  There are any number of ways to find out the information you are looking to find out after the fact.

Go to SEARCH, drop down to the "week" tab and click on it and change it to a year or more, then come back up and type in your search string and hit search.  You can cut down on the BS by limiting the search to Rubber Side Down and Tech Documents/Reference.  Do this several different ways and you will discover there are MANY VERY DETAILED discussions on choosing the best brake pads and changing them out.

Then you dial into the one you like the best and hit reply and add your relevant questions to the end of that thread.  Most folks tend to reply to those rather than ignoring a comment that the stealership dumped Suzuki standard pads back into your bike and they are rumbling and grumbling again.

Being a responsible thumper owner, you have got to do better before spending your money like that at a stealership.   The info is all here, but you gotta look and search and then ask on your relevant threads BEFORE shelling out your scarce disposable income.  None of us has any money to waste any more -- none of us.  This means a little more research work up front before making a $$ choice.

All of us need to help each other when we can.

Front brakes really can't be "too tight" BTW.  They hydraulically retract the same amount of clearance from the squeezed position every time (unless that stealership left them hoses plumb full of air bubbles for you to have to bleed out or they put the thing back together incorrectly with the pin in a bind or the sliders not aligned or lubed or SOMETHING ELSE GROSSLY WRONG about their workmanship).

"Bleeding front brakes"  "Adding brake fluid"  -- more search strings for the Search function.

You will get the hang of it eventually .....  and don't let an old geezer get you upset or discourage you either.  

Hey, I betcha a whole flock of nice people will be along directly to yell at me for being too blunt and to tell you nice encouraging type things and soothe everything over.

I summoned them for you.   I wuz being helpful .....  they will be here momentarily.

Grin

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/26/08 at 15:18:43

Hey you old feller, I beat you to the punch!  The helpfull fellow.
Since he was asking about how to tell if it was good, it was worth answering.  Eiyee you old crumugeon.

Hey, BTW, how's yogert doin', maybe he can inspire you on budget brakes?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/26/08 at 16:02:51

Hell, it's easy to be the first to be helpful if you only give him two lines and just tell him to spin the front wheel to see if it's a draggin'.    It takes a good bit longer to type in whole paragraphs of semi-useful teach him how to fish type stuff.

Yogert's still around somewhere ....  you know he done copied your old trick of using the "too thick" EBC pads and interleaving a thin one with a thick one to get some unusually long brake pad life out of a set of thick pads at less than half the effective cost.  

(see EBC vs SBC thread)

He's still waiting to see which gives up first, wearing out a forever set of front brake pads or wearing out a Volkswagen rear tire.  Both of them are taking forever, anyway.  He's waiting patently.

Meanwhile he has a wee little wager going with Savage Rob to get 'ol Rob to admit them SBC pads chewed the sh!t out of his brand new EBC rotors once he measures them up at the end of the wear life of a set of SBC pads.

Yogert also made a little side bet with me that Rob manages to "lose" the EBC vs SBC thread so he won't have to 'fess up his SBC pads are really nasty world class rotor cutters.  You know how it is when a thread gets moved over to the Cafe and gets caught in the quarterly clean up just by accident, you know.

But then Yogert IS a grumbly old world class cynic, having become all bitter after having Anni turn to the darkside like that and having Palpatine kill off the entire Jedi Order by absolute & total betrayal.

Plus, I think he has mental issues from sniffing the air in his smoldering dung heated house and eating food cooked over his hearth fire.

Yeah, he's cheap, but he has a right sh!tty attitude sometimes.

Wink

Oldfeller

« Last Edit: 06/27/08 at 03:13:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #5 - 06/26/08 at 16:04:40

You were very helpful and I'm not that sensitive ... plus I owe ya one since I just did your speedo rattle fix.  Wink  I did use the Search function and I read every post on brakes in the Tech Section.  Couldn't really find anything to match my particular delimma ... ie the sounding like they are engaged all the time.  Also you're right about the stealership and I stopped messing with them 4 months ago when I bought the manual and found this site.

Okay then, problem solved.  It's just the crap that the stealership put on there.  Will be putting on the good stuff when these wear out.  I'm too cheap to replace them just yet.  Tongue

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 06/26/08 at 16:07:47

Yeeeeahhh!  That's the attitude!

Cheap is good!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 06/26/08 at 16:14:18

when i had my new tires put on @ 5000 miles had them spray brake cleaner on the front oem brake set up.. helped with the riding squeel only time they made noise after that was when lightly braking..replaced with
ebc pads at 9800 miles...did it myself and have never touched pads b4,
was done in 20 mins...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 06/26/08 at 16:49:30

i removed wheel busted tire and replaced, replace pads, 50 minutes start to finish. and no left over parts.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 06/26/08 at 18:23:17

Hey, we got perfectly useable and intelligible posts written by wimmen saying how easy it is to change out your brake pads.  Sluggo too.

Now I will break down and actually post a tread reference on the EBC/SBC pad comparison stuff, mainly just to prove I still don't owe 'ol Yogert any money on our side bet.   Rob didn't delete it, he just moved it from the Tech section to Rubber Side Down.  He didn't off it,  moving it isn't offing it.   Cafe plus 3 months is offing it.

Search can find anything, as long as you remember a few words or a single relevant point inside the discussion.  I remembered "laser cut designs" and that was enough to pull it up.   Heck "EBC rotor" could have found it too, or "rotor wear" for that matter.   Search ain't hard.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199152819/0

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/26/08 at 21:06:58

I like cheap sh!t

I thought wimmen only cleaned carbs  Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 06/27/08 at 03:11:01

Point being that we got several tech threads with detailed pictures on doing front brake jobs, we got wimmin fixing plug leaks & fixing carbs and such and we got TONS of information on everything under the sun just a'sitting there waiting to be searched.  

We even got a massively helpful index to help you find what you need without even hitting the search key.

We done give you the pole, the line, the hook and the bait.  We can teach you how to fish right smartly, we can.  

All you got to do is show up at the lake with a willingness to jump on in.

(spear guns and dynamite are allowed optional fishing equipment in the Cafe, btw)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/27/08 at 06:51:34

I'm no expert on bikes, but i am a certified auto mechanic and have done 1000's of brake jobs.  The problem you are describing does not sound like a problem with the pads, it sounds like a problem with the caliper.  As someone said before, there is no way to put on brake pads "too tight," however, if your caliper piston is starting to sieze up, it will not release pressure from the rotor as it is supposed to and will feel like the brake is still partially applied after you release your brake lever. Just a thought.
If you decide to put new pads on. I would make sure you compress the caliper piston evenly, and then bleed the brakes a bunch when you are done, just to be sure. If your piston does not want to compress, replace/rebuild the caliper.

Good Luck

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:29:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front brake pads too tight?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.