Send Topic Print
fiberglass tank? (Read 94 times)
vandaman

Not all who wander
are lost

georgia
fiberglass tank?
06/25/08 at 09:03:07

hey guys i have been toying with the idea of replacing my stock 06 tank, the tank is great but just doesnt fit the old school bobber look im going for. have been pricing some tanks online(old sporty and custom bobber tanks) and the prices are outrageous. thought all was lost when i passed a mechanics shop today and noticed an old bike frame sittin out back. called the place and the guy who owned it told me it was as fiberglass tank and i could take it home for fifty bucks. seems like a good deal but im not sure dont know much about fiberglass tanks. any advice is great pros cons etc

Bike info 2006 S40
Mods front fender delete, mini ape style bars, solo seat, boat trailer read fender, turn signal delete, free flow exhaust, ed.l forward controls, and pegs
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: fiberglass tank?
Reply #1 - 06/25/08 at 09:05:53

I don't know anything about fiberglass tanks either. If you get it let us know.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/25/08 at 09:52:22

i have heard very bad things about fiberglass tanks. they rot from the inside and the resin residue clogs your jets... they develop leaks if they have seams... also, fiberglass will delaminate with too much sun exposure unless the builder used some very specific laminating techniques with UV resin. not worth it in my opinion when you can get a mustang tank or old sporty for about $200.00. (after misc. install parts)

IP Logged
vandaman

Not all who wander
are lost

georgia
Reply #3 - 06/25/08 at 10:15:47

kinda what i figured there are a few old sporty tanks on ebay for around the same price after shipping so ill prolly go with one of them.

Bike info 2006 S40
Mods front fender delete, mini ape style bars, solo seat, boat trailer read fender, turn signal delete, free flow exhaust, ed.l forward controls, and pegs
  IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #4 - 06/25/08 at 10:18:28

Add to those negatives the fact that it's getting near impossible to find regular gasoline anymore. The 10% Ethanol blend (E10) that replaced MTBE does a real number on fiberglass. Ask all the boat owners who now have to rip out their tanks...   Roll Eyes

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #5 - 06/25/08 at 13:02:39

The ethanol thats blended into the gasoline will eat the resin from the walls of the tank.  It will clog the jets and will eventually begin to leak.

Not a good idea.....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:23:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fiberglass tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.