Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lovin' this thing! 'cept goin' fast... thoughts? (Read 324 times)
halftimshow
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lovin' this thing! 'cept goin' fast... thoughts?
06/25/08 at 06:57:32

What a GREAT bike!  I have an 87 Savage 650 and LOVE it!  My wife and I have been riding for about 2 years now (we just took the MSP course 2 months ago together - TAKE IT IF YOU HAVEN'T YET!).  The Savage has been our main bike for the past year and it's a gem.

The big issue I've been having with it, however, has been a "cough" as I climb to higher speeds.  It doesn't do it if I come quickly out of a start, but  if I'm rolling at 45 and need to get up to 55, the thing starts to sputter like it's running out of gas.  Once I reach "cruising speed" it usually evens back out?

Is this a carb issue?  Someone told me that the blue on my exhaust pipe could indicate that I'm running "rich."  Would this also explain the jumpy-ness?

Thanks all!  I look forward to chatting more in the days to come!

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Lovin' this thing! 'cept goin' fast... thought
Reply #1 - 06/25/08 at 07:23:30

Hi! Your's is definitely not a characteristic problem of the Savage... so I'm just kind of shooting in the dark here!

Before I blame the carb, how long has it been since you put a good new spark plug and air filter in the bike? I'd try that first, then question the carb being in need of cleaning out. HTH  Cheesy

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 06/25/08 at 07:38:54

Welcome to the forum Tim. It was great meeting you last night and I'm glad I could point you to the forums. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/25/08 at 07:42:44

We gotta narrow it down a bit...
try running in prime, if it goes away then replace your vac line from the carb to the petcock.
otherwise would think itsa carb issue, you have blue pipes and everyone here says it's running lean.  stumbling going from low to mid range could be the white spacer mod or just a rejet since it's lean already

WWW   IP Logged
desert_rider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

On the border of NM/AZ
Reply #4 - 06/25/08 at 08:08:07

With any engine you need: fuel, air, compression, and spark.  air is always the cheapest place to start.  Check your air filter.  Then move on to the spark plug (as another has already pointed out).  Its not odd to find a bike that old with the original plug.  I'm not handy with the carb, so I can't tell you much there.  The others have posted good instructions regarding the fuel system.  

BTW, what type of gas are you using?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 06/25/08 at 16:07:05

I'm gonna take a WILD GUESS here and predict either a vaccum line problem or fuel screen...

call me crazy.   Cheesy

But then with an '87, could be a number of things... Undecided

Need more test data, though.  Obey the verslagen!   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 06/25/08 at 16:20:43

BTW, any Savage should be able to go 85+ mph if everything is working properly.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 06/25/08 at 18:35:53

barry68v10 wrote on 06/25/08 at 16:20:43:

Not necessarily.  Mine got to 83 and I found out my sphincter was working properly.  It was telling me to slow the heck down.  So that's as fast as mine will go.  At least for now. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #8 - 06/25/08 at 18:41:35

I have the same problem mine went to 85 once and I haven't been able to get it back up there again.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #9 - 06/25/08 at 19:58:29

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/25/08 at 18:35:53:

Not necessarily.  Mine got to 83 and I found out my sphincter was working properly.  It was telling me to slow the heck down.  So that's as fast as mine will go.  At least for now. Smiley

Yeah, I got mine up to 89 mph on an old back road that is straight as a ruler (before the saddlebags, windshield, etc gear got loaded on) and boy howdy my little brain was ticking (deer? bears? turtles?)....and thinking too much about hitting whatever was going to walk onto the road slowed me down permanently...well it's been over a year now anyway!  Cheesy

Mind you - I did NOT feel like the BIKE was lacking; it seemed to be able to do more, but I chickened out! Shocked

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/25/08 at 22:40:45

Ive heard of mechanical governors, & electrical governors,& they are set & not adjustable during a ride, Sphincterical governors are variable & can adjusted during a ride. I've noticed road conditions & weather can suddenly drop the max speed the sphincter will allow, & a long, straight, wide, smooooth road & the Guvnah relaxes & the speed slowly climbs to 90...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/25/08 at 23:01:11

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/25/08 at 18:35:53:

87 was as fast as I could get to before my sphincter started acting up. May need a performance mod on the rear! Cheesy
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #12 - 06/26/08 at 00:49:12

Jay wrote on 06/25/08 at 23:01:11:
87 was as fast as I could get to before my sphincter started acting up. May need a performance mod on the rear! Cheesy
Ride safe,
Jay
Must admit, despite having been way faster than twice this on modified sportbikes, on the Savage 80+ feels awfully fast.

Sit on/in a wind-tunnel designed superbike in full leathers, expensive full face helmet, and wind back the throttle with 200 ponies at the wheel, and the combination of refined suspension, rigid frame and state of the art aerodynamics makes 100mph feel like standing still.

But, sit on the Savage in an open face helmet, in soft clothes, with a frame that feels like its made out of wire coathangers, suspension like jelly on springs and that cute little motor vibrating up and down for all its worth, and 80mph feels like you're straddling a Saturn 5 rocket as it leaves the atmosphere.

I’ll leave the high speed stuff for the high speed bikes – the Savage is just great at lower speeds.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #13 - 06/26/08 at 08:11:25

[quote author=65594F45605B5A2E0 link=1214402252/0#12 date=1214466552]Jay wrote on 06/25/08 at 23:01:11:
sit on the Savage in an open face helmet, in soft clothes, with a frame that feels like its made out of wire coathangers, suspension like jelly on springs and that cute little motor vibrating up and down for all its worth, and 80mph feels like you're straddling a Saturn 5 rocket as it leaves the atmosphere.

Yeah - and i LIKE IT LIKE THAT!  Cool

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Brandon
YaBB Newbies

Wooo Hoo!! Did you
see that!!!

Montevallo, AL
Reply #14 - 06/26/08 at 19:11:34

I believe I pulled 88 out of mine on a downhill run on the freeway. She was giving it all she had. You're not gonna do very much without bringing the torque up a bit. Like some one else said speed is for the speed bikes. Ours happens to be a cruzin' easy riding SAVAGE!

Representing the Savage Republic!!
bdsavage69   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:20:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lovin' this thing! 'cept goin' fast... thoughts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.