Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Header Pipe Blues / Heat Shield Question (Read 254 times)
gar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Header Pipe Blues / Heat Shield Question
06/24/08 at 21:02:53

Hey, Undecided I asked this question B4, Has anyone ever put a Heat Shield from a Harley or any other maker on their  95  LS650 Savage? I've been watching Ebay for some time now to pick up a cheap used Shield from the Curve of the header pipe. I'm sure one the of the Makers have something Close to fit.

I'm Surprized that Suzuki never came out with one. My header pipe turned Blue because I never jetted the carb after changing the Straight pipe Muffler. :'( I've tried to clean up as much as I could but still can't get shiny.
Does anyone have a good clean chromed one from the HEAD down to FOOT brake pedal? and is reasonable?

Oh well I'm sure someone has done this and can help figure out what model harley will fit!  Shocked Thanks Guys & Gals  Grin

IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Header Pipe Blues / Heat Shield Question
Reply #1 - 06/25/08 at 08:29:19

your running straight pipe and you didnt re-jet? must be a sputtery ride!

IP Logged
gar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/27/08 at 20:51:48

That Bluing came from first Cheapo Muffler from JC Whitney. I really didn't know how to re-jett!!!! Your Right! Everytime I would crank on it thru the gears, everyone would DUCK and run for cover! Talk about backfiring, it was too embarrasing too!
Since then I've learn alot from here and put on a New Jardine Muffler and re-jetted, Now I can ride with the Big Boys and sounds like em too!
GrinWhat Difference with this muffler. But the damage was done withthe pipe bluing up. My CHEATER-SHIP wants 175 paysos for new but if ANYONE could help me out and hook me up if they every had same problem and get a nice new shiny heat shield from anywhere just from the head down around curve to brake pedal. This would make my 95 650 look like a new Shiny Hiney again Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes

IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/27/08 at 21:21:44

gar wrote on 06/27/08 at 20:51:48:
That Bluing came from first Cheapo Muffler from JC Whitney. I really didn't know how to re-jett!!!! Your Right! Everytime I would crank on it thru the gears, everyone would DUCK and run for cover! Talk about backfiring, it was too embarrasing too!
Since then I've learn alot from here and put on a New Jardine Muffler and re-jetted, Now I can ride with the Big Boys and sounds like em too!
GrinWhat Difference with this muffler. But the damage was done withthe pipe bluing up. My CHEATER-SHIP wants 175 paysos for new but if ANYONE could help me out and hook me up if they every had same problem and get a nice new shiny heat shield from anywhere just from the head down around curve to brake pedal. This would make my 95 650 look like a new Shiny Hiney again Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes

you can get the OEM header pipe from www.crotchrocket.com for around 130$... theres also some chemicals on the market that claim to take the "blues" away. although ive never tried them, and i doubt they work that great.

hope this helps.

IP Logged
gar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/28/08 at 05:44:48

YEP, Been there done That, I had Sales Guy tell me this stuff was the best since slice bread, but he didn't know I had pipe in my car!
You guessed it! It's still sitting on the shelf, Thanks for info about the cheaper pipe price though, I'm still waiting for a heat shield response b4 I'm forced to put on a new pipe, much cheaper! thanks

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 06/28/08 at 09:39:01

I haven't seen any curved heat shields that would fit the savage without modification. I had a '92 Harley Sportster that had one from the header connection on down. Maybe you could retrofit one but I have no idea how you would get it to bend to fit?  

There's one on ebay:  Item number: 110264580793

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Reply #6 - 06/28/08 at 15:42:28

So if the header pipe is blue that means the previous  owner changed the muffer and didn't rejet it?  Except for yeterday when it was choking and sputtering for awhile, it hardly ever backfires.
hd

IP Logged
fishtail
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/28/08 at 23:14:09

Quote: So if the header pipe is blue that means the previous  owner changed the muffer and didn't rejet it?

No.  Mine started turning blue 2 days after I bought it (new).  I took it back to the shop and asked the sales guy what was going on.  He said that "they all do that...even the Harleys".  Like that was supposed to make it ok, since a Harley does it.  
Anyway, mine is beyond blue now to more of a dull bronze.  It still shines up ok, and I've actually come to love the worn look of it.  It shows that the bike is used and not pampered too much. I just keep it clean and ride it.  Life's too short to sweat the small stuff.
Cool

The poor have little, beggars none; the rich too much, enough not one.
-Benjamin Franklin
  IP Logged
gar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/29/08 at 09:50:01

I guess I just like the Chrome look. I did jet the Carb and did all the ajustments. I just wanted to know if anyone did do a heat shield and if if anyone had a good used header pipe cheap for sale? Thanks for the info on a new one @136$ this is much better than my Cheater Dealer!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 06/29/08 at 13:24:24

There is much to be said for the flat black pipes on the KLR650 and the Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Ian
YaBB Newbies

1995 LS650, 2008
FLHRC

Northern Virginia
Reply #10 - 07/07/08 at 11:50:03

Or use exhaust tape - you can even get colored tape if you want. A taped drag pipe would look awesome!

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/07/08 at 12:05:31

Question:  Is there something I should do to prevent my exhaust from turning blue???  I just bought my bike last week and I really dont want this to happen to mine!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 07/07/08 at 13:53:22

I believe the exhaust pipes on most Japanese bikes are double-walled. The inner pipe takes the heat and the outer is supposed to stay cool enough so its chrome doesn't turn blue. If you run a single-walled pipe, it WILL turn blue. If it doesn't, the engine is running way too rich. The added heat shields won't keep the pipe from turning blue, but they probably won't turn blue themselves and they help hide the blue pipes.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/07/08 at 23:46:25

Ha! My Guzzi Nevada had blued pipes before I got it even half way across Houston. I knew it was gonna happen, so I was okay with it. I thought it looked good on the Guzzi. The Suzuki made it to almost 5,000 miles before I blued it, sitting in the driveway, goosing it, listenning to the valves, looked down & the pipe was all blue,, chapped me big time.Now, ahhh, I dont care, I love my ride, so what, the pipes blue,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:14:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Header Pipe Blues / Heat Shield Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.