Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Got her started finally but.... (Read 185 times)
oksavage

Got her started finally but....
06/24/08 at 13:24:27

Ok after it's all done I start her up and she jumps right to life but something is wrong.  it idles ok, kinda slow.  as you give the gas the trouble starts.  at half throttle it sounds like your actually gunning the engine.  did I mess up the whole TDC thing would it even run if that was wrong.  The engine sounds strong just not running smooth.  what to check??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Got her started finally but....
Reply #1 - 06/24/08 at 14:48:07

OK okie, I suffer from crc, and this is my hobbie not what I earn bucks for.  Bring us up to date.  This is why I don't like when you guys start new threads for a running series of problems.

What were doing, and where are you at?

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 06/24/08 at 15:02:16

oksavage wrote on 06/24/08 at 13:24:27:
Ok after it's all done I start her up and she jumps right to life but something is wrong.  it idles ok, kinda slow.  as you give the gas the trouble starts.  at half throttle it sounds like your actually gunning the engine.  did I mess up the whole TDC thing would it even run if that was wrong.  The engine sounds strong just not running smooth.  what to check??

Check everything and fix anything that's "broke".   Cheesy

Ditto Verslagen's comment... Undecided

Want to help, but with the info given, my top line is my bottom line.  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #3 - 06/24/08 at 15:37:48

verslagen1 wrote on 06/24/08 at 14:48:07:
OK okie, I suffer from crc, and this is my hobbie not what I earn bucks for.  Bring us up to date.  This is why I don't like when you guys start new threads for a running series of problems.

What were doing, and where are you at?

I agree!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #4 - 06/24/08 at 16:04:35

OK I have replaced the cam chain, I went through the whole where is TDC at reassembly, I really felt like I had it right as the cam lobes were in the down position and the piston was as close to TDC as I could tell (white mark was close to 3 O'clock on crankshaft) reassembled primed the carb,  pulled out the choke, hit the starter and voila kicks right off, I let it idle for a minute pushed in the choke and began to move the throttle a little it does ok until about half throttle then it does not run smooth sounds like you are gunning it and dark smoke comes out of the muffler in time with the engine rev.

Also, I am sorry about bad posting etiquette Sad  I will do better us okies  aim to please Cheesy

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 06/24/08 at 21:02:08

Hey fellow Okie!  Umm... Let's not jump to the conclusion that you got the timing off just yet, alright? You say "dark smoke" comes out: Does that mean black smoke or thick dark gray smoke? One is oil, the other is fuel; bet you can guess which is which...

And if you are holding your throttle half open under no load for more than a split second; you are "gunning it" and it should rev quite high.

Did you do anything to it besides change the cam chain, and what brought about the cam chain change? (Sorry, I haven't kept up with your past posts either, so I'm catching up here.)

I might perhaps at least recommend that you double-check the routing and fit of all of the fuel and vacuum hosing to the carb before going back and checking the cam timing.

BTW, I'm just east of Tulsa towards Catoosa, where are you in Okiezakistan?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/24/08 at 22:09:07

I'm gonna hazzard a guess (but I wish greg were here)...
It really sounds like a carb issue, maybe the spring for the slide is out of place or you routed one of hoses to the carb incorrectly.
check your air filter (ok now where are those straws)
all the plumbing to the air box.
if all else fails, check the valve timing.  I think the intake should close before tdc and the exhaust open after, with a full rev inbetween.  Anybody know exactly?
did you check the vac line for fuel?
are you running on prime?

That's it, out of straws, good luck.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 06/25/08 at 06:31:52

I guess the question is, did you open the card during the engine remake?  If not, and its been a while since it has run, maybee a couple of thwaccks on the carb body might loosen the thing up.  If not the carb, the next probable area is the hoses/vacumn and fuel...pinched, misrouted.  
I let the real mechanics chime in on engine rebuild and timing..best of luck.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/25/08 at 06:41:54

I am not getting a feel for whats wrong, I just want to commend you for sticking with it & encourage you to stay patient & DO NOT let this long string of hassles convince you this isnt winnable. Once you get this sorted out, & you will, you will know so much more about the bike & you will be better prepared for dealing with it.

Chin Up,you are closing in on it!You are down to the details, now..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #9 - 06/25/08 at 08:06:19

thanks so much I'll have a look at all my connections and check out the carb.  I didn't mess with the carb but it has been sitting for about 4 months.  I hope it is one of the things you guys said because I don't want to go back in.  BTW when I had the plug out it was completely black on the tip, really lots of carbon, what gives, it needs replacing obviously but what is the cause so I can make it better,
rockinjohn-I am in Weatherford all the way out west on I-40

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 06/25/08 at 08:39:16

oksavage wrote on 06/25/08 at 08:06:19:
 BTW when I had the plug out it was completely black on the tip, really lots of carbon, what gives, it needs replacing obviously but what is the cause so I can make it better,
rockinjohn-I am in Weatherford all the way out west on I-40

That means you are running really rich.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #11 - 06/26/08 at 09:52:18

Ok, i checked the carb no problems there (that I find) Smiley I definitely need a new spark plug..So I opened it back up to check the whole timing and TDC things....afew questions...
1.  TDC should be at the complete apex of the piston stroke, correct?  on mine this seems to be almost at the plug hole is that ok?
2. check out this pic of my cam shaft, are the lobes in the down position? also the hoizontal lines I should be lining up on the right side of the shaft or the left side??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/26/08 at 10:50:18

The lines are on the other side of the gear.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:15:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got her started finally but....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.