Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing Rear Chome Fender Rails (Read 129 times)
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Removing Rear Chome Fender Rails
06/24/08 at 08:31:23

I'm swapping the rear fender rails with a member on the forum... I'm getting the ones to fit the sissy bar and he's getting mine that don't.

I understand there are 2 or 3 10mm bolts on each side that hold the rails on... Then a screw holding the tail light on to that... Is there a way to remove the turn signals from the bars without cutting wires?

Any help would be appreciated.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Re: Removing Rear Chome Fender Rails
Reply #1 - 06/24/08 at 08:37:36

I did this myself about a year ago and, if I'm not mistaken, the turn signals will simply unplug.  Also I don't remember having to mess with the taillight at all?  It's been a while so I'm foggy, but I don't think it's necessary.  Really a simple process.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #2 - 06/24/08 at 08:37:44

Just remove your front seat (one screw each side at the back) and you'll be able to unplug the indicator wires and draw them from under the seat.  They run between the rear frame rails and the fender - not a big gap but you can work them through.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #3 - 06/24/08 at 08:40:21

Thanks! I didn't mean tail light, I was thinking turn signals as I was typing, just came out wrong.

:-P

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 06/24/08 at 09:33:41

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 06/24/08 at 08:31:23:
I'm swapping the rear fender rails...
there are ... 3 10mm bolts on each side that hold the rails on... Is there a way to remove the turn signals from the bars without cutting wires?

Mounting my Leatherlyke bags required relocating the turn signals and using the signal mounting hole for a saddlebag mount.  Also replace a front mounting bolt with a saddlebag mount.  I did it all with the rear wheel in place and the bike sitting on the ground.  Strongly recommend using a bike lift and removing the rear wheel -- will take less time than trying to work the bolts blindly while squeezing your hand twix tire and fender.

While the turn signals unplug, to relocate to the far rear (license bracket) requires the wires be stretched (AKA cut and splice) about eight inches.  Rerun the turn signal wires to follow the tail light wires.

ALSO, while re-rerunning the turn signal wires, you can also add the $50 brake/run light conversion (requires two more thin wires to the turn signals) so you don't have to take everything apart again.  (I LIKE the extra lights on the rear, came in very handy when the tail light bulb burned out.)

WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 06/24/08 at 10:59:21

Paladin - Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure what bags I'm going to pick yet (didn't get that far yet)... I like the looks of the Suzuki OEM bags, but don't think they're big enough for the stuff I'd want to carry with. Plus, I can't get bags that are too big, because I still want to be able to carry a passenger, so they can't block the front pegs.

I'm actually thinking about trying to source a LED brake/tail light combo... A friend of my sisters picked up one for his crotch rocket. It would remove the stock tail light from where it is now and move it down in the rear fender where the license plate bracket is at. I would relocate the license plate to the side with a LED light that I've already got. Then just remove the side turn signals entirely since they are integrated into the tail light...

The tail is red, gets brighter when you're on the brakes... And when you use your turn signal, the red lights go out on the side and blink yellow. Seeing it was pretty slick, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to mount to the S40.

At any rate... I've heard that in PA, it's actually illegal to have the rear turn signals on all the time (as you suggest with the brake/run conversion)... Our MSP instructor said his BMW was like that and he took it off because he found out it was illegal. (Would you get pulled over for it? Probably not... But still)

As for a tight squeeze in there. My hands are pretty small, so I should be able to get it with the bike sitting on the ground.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 06/24/08 at 12:13:05

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 06/24/08 at 10:59:21:
... I've heard that in PA, it's actually illegal to have the rear turn signals on all the time (as you suggest with the brake/run conversion)....

What you "hear" should be be verified before believing -- look up the vehicle code.  Likely it says that you cannot have amber rear running/brake lights.  However the conversion I have shows RED lights out of the amber turn signals, and is 50 state legal.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:23:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing Rear Chome Fender Rails

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.