Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
klonk (Read 99 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
klonk
06/24/08 at 00:46:59

Hi all over there, me bike's going great, except every time I stop the engine there's this kind of worrying klonk coming from around the starter area when the engine stops, and I am wondering if this is normal, because if not it sounds expensive,, anybody got any ideas ? :-cheers,,kenny

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: klonk
Reply #1 - 06/24/08 at 00:54:50

What year model is it? There are some years that do experience issues with starter gears clashing with something ( I dont know it, I dont have one, thats all I know, sorry) I dont know if coasting to a halt & hitting the kill switch & letting out on the clutch just enough to keep the engine from turning back any would help. There are some here who can help you, tho. Stay tuned..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/24/08 at 09:06:01

What's happening is that when you shut down the engine it continues spinning utill it runs up to a compression stroke, then it will stop and sometimes run backward.

Problem is our start has a one way clutch and as soon as it runs backward it engages the starter causing the klonk as you say.

Early '86 '88's have a problem that they donot have a torque limiter on this gear and can break if enough force is applied.  There is a patch though, a circuit that will energize the decomp solenoid on shutdown.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 06/24/08 at 09:24:05

kennycreed wrote on 06/24/08 at 00:46:59:
Hi all over there, me bike's going great, except every time I stop the engine there's this kind of worrying klonk coming from around the starter area when the engine stops, and I am wondering if this is normal, because if not it sounds expensive,, anybody got any ideas ? :-cheers,,kenny

I have a 2000 I picked up in '04 with 5K miles on it.
It does the klunk bit at times, I've ignored it for the past 19K miles.

WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #4 - 06/24/08 at 10:03:25

My '95 does that occasionly too. Spins backwards. You get used to it I guess.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:17:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › klonk

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.