Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modifying the stock exhaust (Read 207 times)
Fiskbil
Ex Member

Modifying the stock exhaust
06/24/08 at 00:10:33

Hi guys, first time writer, long time reader on the forum.

I was wondering if anyone here has made any modifications to the stock exhaust on the Savage/S40?
I currently have a screaming eagle replica exhaust on my bike, but I think it looks ridiculously compared to the original exhaust and wonder if someone here has modified the stock exhaust to give better performance and, especially, a nicer sound?

My mother (yeah, skip the jokes) had a Savage a few years ago and it sounded waaay better with the original exhaust. I know that something was modified in it but I never got the chance to find out what.

Mine look totally rivited/welded up, can't see any way to remove the baffle. Is there any difference to the exhaust on my California -06 and my mothers European ~95?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Modifying the stock exhaust
Reply #1 - 06/24/08 at 00:59:39

There are several ways to go. Going backwards is hard to do. The stock exhaust just doesnt cut it for most folks. Some like it & they are squeezing the MPG out of it. HD takeoffs for $20.00 are a good way to improve the sound & performance, on the cheap & still not just be LOUD.
Or, the Supertrapp, kinda pricey, but tunable, pleasant sound, excellent performance booster. There are so many approaches, but thats the ones I know. Others will chip in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 06/24/08 at 04:12:57

Someone had opened mine before I got it, so I am not 100% sure what they look like inside when stock.  If you want, you can look back a few weeks for my "This muffler is screwed" thread.  There are pictures there.

What I have found on mine is that the back plate is riveted into a ring that is part of the body of the muffler.  Attached to the inside of this plate is a mesh cage full of fiberglass, or asbestos, or whatever.  It looks a little like a silencer for a pistol.  Farther toward the front, maybe a foot or so, is another plate with about a one-inch hole in it.  

So, what has been done to mine is this:

1) The rivets in the back were removed and replaced with lag screws.
2) The weld that holds the cage closed was cut and the fiberglass removed.
3) Three, 5/16 holes were drilled in the forward plate using a bit extension.
4) I just yesterday changed to a larger pilot jet.

Now, more or less depending on my mood, I can remove or replace the back plate for a SIGNIFICANT change in the sound.  When the plate is in, it is still louder than stock, but not too bad.  When it is out, I worry some about upsetting the neighbors, but you should see the deer scatter ahead of me.

That plate fits tightly inside the body of the muffler.  I just run a bar or channel lock handle or whatever is at hand inside and use it as a lever to wiggle it and then pop it out like a cork.

This will definitely change the way the bike runs, so be prepared to make changes at the carburetor.  I won't know until tonight if I have made the right change or not.  Haven't run it much with the new jet in.

Good luck!

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 06/24/08 at 06:38:27

there is a very OLD post w/ pics here somewhere happy searching Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/24/08 at 06:50:36

Sandy said
"That plate fits tightly inside the body of the muffler.  I just run a bar or channel lock handle or whatever is at hand inside and use it as a lever to wiggle it and then pop it out like a cork."

Wassamatta? Your throttle wont push it out? Fire that thing up & crank it open. Might want to be mindful of whats "Back There", I have no idea how far it might go, but it sounds like it would be fun.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 06/24/08 at 06:58:39

There is a plate up in there about 12 inches and another one 2 more inches I've been drilling than out for along time now since about 1978,gives a little more high power sound better except for my s40 doesn't sound to good to me ,but I really don't think singles sound very good.Anytime you gain in high end power you lose a low end power. You can also take a steel stake and knock that plate out.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 06/24/08 at 19:33:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/24/08 at 06:50:36:
Sandy said
Wassamatta? Your throttle wont push it out? Fire that thing up & crank it open. Might want to be mindful of whats "Back There", I have no idea how far it might go, but it sounds like it would be fun.

Grin You're right.  It did sound like fun.  So I went and tried it as soon as I read what you said.  I just put it in kinda loose, so it was just barely engaging the muffler and opened 'er up.  The plate and cage (baffle?) just kind of pooped out a little and hung there limply.  

You had me hoping for projectiles.  Instead I just got projections.  Rats.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/24/08 at 21:59:02

Ya wins a few, ya loses a few. I had such hopes.

IP Logged
Fiskbil
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/25/08 at 23:50:37

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I'll tear into the sucker when I
have time to go to the workshop next time.

Ps. The workshop I'm referring to is Techshop. If you have one near you should check it out. They have a lot of cool machinery.  Tongue http://www.techshop.ws/

IP Logged
Todd Perry
YaBB Newbies

Straighten up and
fly right....

Orlando, FL
Reply #9 - 06/26/08 at 09:50:31

Quote:
The workshop I'm referring to is Techshop. If you have one near you should check it out. They have a lot of cool machinery.  Tongue http://www.techshop.ws/

Yeah, I've been waiting for the one in Orlando to open for a while now...looks really cool. Expensive! ...but cool. For folks like me (living in an apartment but still needing to exercise mechanical skills from time to time), it might become a nice home away from home.

Plus it might help keep the complaints down - you'd be amazed how much my wife hates it when I weld in the bathroom (just because that's where the 220 is...)  Roll Eyes

(p.s. kidding - always weld safely IAW local code, etc. etc.)

Which way to the BBQ joint?
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 06/26/08 at 16:25:54

Todd Perry wrote on 06/26/08 at 09:50:31:
Quote:
The workshop I'm referring to is Techshop. If you have one near you should check it out. They have a lot of cool machinery.  Tongue http://www.techshop.ws/

Yeah, I've been waiting for the one in Orlando to open for a while now...looks really cool. Expensive! ...but cool. For folks like me (living in an apartment but still needing to exercise mechanical skills from time to time), it might become a nice home away from home.

Plus it might help keep the complaints down - you'd be amazed how much my wife hates it when I weld in the bathroom (just because that's where the 220 is...)  Roll Eyes

(p.s. kidding - always weld safely IAW local code, etc. etc.)

when i lived in O town there was a place by the full sail school by ucf..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Todd Perry
YaBB Newbies

Straighten up and
fly right....

Orlando, FL
Reply #11 - 06/26/08 at 16:55:39

Interesting! We're hijacking this thread, though - PM sent.

Which way to the BBQ joint?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:27:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Modifying the stock exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.