Send Topic Print
Carb adjustment (Read 222 times)
Doug A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb adjustment
06/23/08 at 13:24:00

Once again I have taken a simple, straightforward, process and complicated the hell out of it. My exaust pipe on my 03 is a nice gold color and I was told I need to adjust the carb to richen (is that a word?) the mixture. I have been getting small backfires, but not enough to really bother me.. I took Lancers trusty carb adjusting advice, drilled out the brass plug... and... and far as I can tell... turning the pilot screw all the way in or 5 turns out does NOTHING. I can't tell that the engine in increasing or decreasing with any of the adjusting. Is it supposed to be a noticable jump? How far out do I need to turn the thing? The original adjustment was 1 turn out. Maybe I am not turning the idle screw out far enough???

What next?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Carb adjustment
Reply #1 - 06/23/08 at 13:49:33

3.0 plus turns out causes the threads to disengage and spring & brass piece to get lost somewhere on the road.  Mine is at 2.75 turns out.  Reluctant to go much further out for fear of losing the pieces.

Lancer suggests not going past 2.5 turns out anyway as you should change pilot jet at that point to the next larger pilot jet (which comes in the Lancer jet kit).

Do you have the jet kit yet?

Oldfeller

PS  some of us think gold is slightly rich, not lean.  Blue is lean.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/23/08 at 14:09:21

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/23/08 at 13:49:33:
3.0 plus turns out causes the threads to disengage and spring & brass piece to get lost somewhere on the road.  

Not quite right (close) 3 turns out and you no longer are engaging the spring/o-ring that keeps tension on the screw to keep it from vibrating out and onto the road.

You need to listen carefully and in a quiet place.  If in doubt, set by backfire on shut down.  Turn in till you get it, out till you don't.  Also if your idle speed is high, the idle circuit may not be fully in use.  Turn the idle low (900 - 1000 rpm's) and the mixture screw will be more effective.

WWW   IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #3 - 06/23/08 at 16:01:46

The traditional method for idle circuit adjustment is:

[1]Warm up engine.
    [2]Turn down idle to lowest even speed.
    [3]Turn pilot screw to find highest speed.
    [4] Repeat steps 2 and 3 until turning pilot screw at all in either direction causes engine to stumble.
    [5] turn up idle speed till rev-and-let-go drops straight back to steady idle.

The standard pilot jet is definitely too small - change up before trying this. Once you do it all falls into place.
Once the pilot jet and idle circuit are sorted, the main cause of backfiring will be setting the idle speed too low.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 06/23/08 at 18:47:56

Doug A wrote on 06/23/08 at 13:24:00:
. and far as I can tell... turning the pilot screw all the way in or 5 turns out does NOTHING. I can't tell that the engine in increasing or decreasing with any of the adjusting.
Thanks.

I have been frustrated by this too.  I have fiddled with that thing endlessly and could never hear a difference.  Recently, I started removing things from inside my muffler.  Now it sounds pretty cool, but I was getting exceptionally loud blasts every time I'd decelerate.  

Tonight on a whim I stopped at a Yamaha shop to see if maybe they had a Mikuni jet laying around.  Local Suzuki doesn't stock them.  Yamaha had 5 huge bins of them.  Every size from 0 to howitzer.  So I bought a size 50 pilot and crammed it in the carb after mutilating several screw drivers.  PRESTO!  Now I can tell a definite difference when I turn the pilot air screw.  Too far out, I get smoke and stumbling.  All the way in tight, the idle is still picking up a little.  So  I set it at 3/8 turn out and pulled more muffler off. Grin

I figure I'll stike a balance soon.   I'll see how it does on the highway tomorrow.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #5 - 06/23/08 at 20:15:20

LOL; I like Verslagen's method.  Sometimes I think that's the only method I can use.  I also agree with Mark's statement that backfiring can be caused by idle set too low.  I've wondered about that for weeks.  I also think that I'll never eliminate backfiring totally, which is OK.  With Reelthing's help, at least I eliminated the flames.  Ghost Rider I'm not . . .

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #6 - 06/23/08 at 20:55:26

With mine, even after the white spacer mod and Lancer's carb tune, I'd still get a little "grandma fart" on shut down. Just a little pffftt. I think J Mac is right. You don't ever get the back fire totally gone.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/24/08 at 07:03:12

Markbacons way is the normal way to adjust the low speed mixture.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Doug A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/24/08 at 11:45:49

Sweet! No more backfire. I ended up turning it out 1/4 and the shutting it down to check the backfire. I set it at 2 full turns out. I think I'll leave it alone and take her for a nice ride.

Thanks for the help!

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 06/24/08 at 12:42:19

I agree, gold exhaust pipe is rich.  I'm getting 40mpg's and I have as golden a pipe as ever; I need a new carb  Undecided

IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #10 - 07/01/08 at 16:46:26

Hey guys and gals,
If I put the sportster pipe on, what kind of carb adj. would I have to do, any air filter change? I definitely have the gold pipes from over richness, but I guess I need that to stop people from thinking i'm packing a .45! Tongue

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:34:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.