2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Re: Oil
Reply #16 - 06/22/08 at 16:33:20

20W-50, especially in the single cylinder and during the hot summers.  Thicker oils better.  Also I use honda oil (honda, suzuki, and yamaha all relatively the same oil).

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 06/23/08 at 03:34:22

4carbcorvair,

My my, four carbs, could that be a 140 hp Spyder you got there?

My very first car was a 2 carb 110hp Monza which I ran until the harmonic stabilizer built into the flywheel gave up and my wife talked me into getting rid of it.  (she learned how to push that car to a slow trot so I could jump start it and she HATED it with a passion as it blew smoke from leaking pushrod seals, etc) That was over 100,000 miles, which for a Corvair was thought to be pretty good mileage at the time.

Now me, that first relationship with a car taught me a lot about maintenance and repair.  I still think fondly about the old car.

How did you guys finally whip the pushrod seal issues?

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #18 - 06/23/08 at 04:28:17

Wally world here in PA has MC oil.   I got Mobil 1 MC oil there.  Best price in town for it.  Look where they sell the helmets.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/13/08 at 20:14:20

I switche dto the Mobil 1, but now I notice that the usage is higher.  A friend also told me that his Honda used more sythetic vs conventional. Has anyone else noticed this?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 07/13/08 at 21:28:38

Rotella T  15-40 walmart, about $9.00 a gallon. Cheap enough to burn some & not cry, good enough to keep the engine alive.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #21 - 07/14/08 at 18:09:43

buttgoat1 wrote on 07/13/08 at 20:14:20:
I switche dto the Mobil 1, but now I notice that the usage is higher.  A friend also told me that his Honda used more sythetic vs conventional. Has anyone else noticed this?  

I developed a leak that I suspect is the infamous head plug problem right after I switched to synthetic.  Coincidence?  You be the judge.  I'll keep running synthetic.  I'd rather leak a little and feel a little better about what's in the engine.  I had heard years ago that synthetic could bring about leaks.  I don't know why.  Maybe it cleans away the crap that was plugging the holes before?

So long as it remains a slow leak, I'll leave it be until this winter.  I'm sure Kay will be thrilled to let me bring the bike in the living room to tinker on during those 18 hour nights.  Right, honey?  Hey what are you doing?!  Put down that frying p....

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #22 - 07/14/08 at 18:39:26

Any major brand 10W-40. As long as it doesn't have the "energy conserving" logo. I am just a little leery of store brands, such as WalMart's "Super Tech." Otherwise, Pennzoil, Castrol, Quaker State, Havoline, Valvoline, or whatever. I weigh price heavily.

Many years ago I was reading a magazine, which had a column called "Ask Smokey". Smokey was Smokey Yunick, of racing fame. The question was essentially "What happens if I mix oils?" His answer, parapharased: "The Army operates the biggest fleet of motor vehicles in the world. The Army buys a lot of oil, and every oil supplier wants to sell to the Army. The Army requires that any oil it buys conform to MILSPEC. One of the requirements of MILSPEC is that any oil must mix with any other oil, in any proportion, without ill effects. The obvious reason is so the motor pool can just pour in whatever oil they have without worrying about what oil might already be in the vehicle."  He went on to add that if you happened to mix viscosities, you got something that sort of split the difference. That answer made so much sense that I ceased worrying about the brand of oil I bought.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #23 - 07/14/08 at 18:40:05

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 07/14/08 at 18:09:43:

I developed a leak that I suspect is the infamous head plug problem right after I switched to synthetic.  Coincidence?  You be the judge.  I'll keep running synthetic.  I'd rather leak a little and feel a little better about what's in the engine.  I had heard years ago that synthetic could bring about leaks.  I don't know why.  Maybe it cleans away the crap that was plugging the holes before?

So long as it remains a slow leak, I'll leave it be until this winter.  I'm sure Kay will be thrilled to let me bring the bike in the living room to tinker on during those 18 hour nights.  Right, honey?  Hey what are you doing?!  Put down that frying p....

Grin Grin Grin   Thats funny!!!  Grin Grin Grin    My wife calls it my girlfriend....

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #24 - 07/14/08 at 18:50:11

I use Mobil 1  20w-50 V-Twin Motorcycle Oil.  Hot here in the south.  Wish I could find it cheaper than $10 quart.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #25 - 07/15/08 at 01:43:13

Quite commoin with older V8s too, if you use 5W40 or 10W40 synthetic, but not a problem if you use 15W50 or 20W50.  If you keep the viscosity up, synthetic won't slip past the rings.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:18:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.