Send Topic Print
Bonehead Lost Keys (Read 285 times)
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bonehead Lost Keys
06/21/08 at 11:34:58

Hi Guys, Like a complete bonehead, I lost  the key to my s40 at work yesterday  Angry. After 4 hours looking for it and a few hours today, I am packing it in!

Called all over the place and most locksmiths won't touch it, but found one who will come out and make me a set for $125. Does this sound reasonable or a little steep?

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Re: Bonehead Lost Keys
Reply #1 - 06/21/08 at 11:41:15

try your dealership...they might be able to match keys to your VIN

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 06/21/08 at 11:43:50

My dealership made me a new key for $28 - VIN number required.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/21/08 at 11:47:13

Bobbert wrote on 06/21/08 at 11:41:15:
try your dealership...they might be able to match keys to your VIN

That was actually the first thing I did. The guy told me he doesn't keep the keys on file because he doesn't want his employees to be able to access keys to customer bikes. I didn't tell this idiot that he just lost a customer, but he did. I'm sorry for the guy, but if he can't trust his people, he needs new people. Moreover, if he can't trust his people, how in the hell can I trust them when I'm ridin' the thing they built.

Yeah, that left a real stick up my  Shocked

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 06/21/08 at 11:49:01

David Levi wrote on 06/21/08 at 11:34:58:
Called all over the place and most locksmiths won't touch it, but found one who will come out and make me a set for $125. Does this sound reasonable or a little steep?

If you strikeout on the dealer or don't have a way to deal with the dealer - the $125 service to your door sounds pretty dang good to me

IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/21/08 at 11:52:25

Reelthing wrote on 06/21/08 at 11:49:01:
David Levi wrote on 06/21/08 at 11:34:58:

If you strikeout on the dealer or don't have a way to deal with the dealer - the $125 service to your door sounds pretty dang good to me

Yeah you are probably right. My only other option is to take off the ignition swich and drop it off at a place on Monday. Which means leaving it at work for at least another 2 nights, and not knowing how much he's gonna charge.

God, what a stupid thing to do! Hey, at least they don't get stolen much! I need to go cover though, looks like rain...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/21/08 at 11:52:45

Look on the side of the ig cylinder, there's a number stamped there.

There's an online motorcycle key guy on fleabay that can make keys for you.  But your dealer should be able to tell you a local guy.

online with shipping I think was $35  add that to the cost of service call, you searching high and low, might be $125.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 06/21/08 at 11:55:53

h3ll a plumber charges that much to clear a drain - and once fixed it's still not as much fun - have several made afterwards - by the way did your ing key still fit your tool box cover? - pretty easy access to that lock

IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/21/08 at 11:59:22

Reelthing wrote on 06/21/08 at 11:55:53:
h3ll a plumber charges that much to clear a drain - and once fixed it's still not as much fun - have several made afterwards - by the way did your ing key still fit your tool box cover? - pretty easy access to that lock

Yeah, true...I think I used the same key for the gas tank, ignition, and toolbox. So one should do it, and I am going to make 500 copies Monday at Kinko's (Lowes)...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/21/08 at 12:08:58

You had ONE set of keys & didnt make copies??? LMAO...

I left my keys on the dresser when I went to get my car out of the storage building. Thing was, the dresser, with the keys, was in south louisiana & the car was in west texas. I called a guy & hey made me a key for door/ignition on an old Fodr for $20.00. Thats what the taxi from the airport cost me, to get TO the car. It was midnight or later & the guy only charged me $20.00! That was in 1977 or 8 tho.. Nowadays, it Might be a bit higher..
So, I learned a long time ago, make sure ya gots the keys.. & have spares.ALWays, have spares, for every key.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/21/08 at 12:18:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/21/08 at 12:08:58:
You had ONE set of keys & didnt make copies??? LMAO...

I left my keys on the dresser when I went to get my car out of the storage building. Thing was, the dresser, with the keys, was in south louisiana & the car was in west texas. I called a guy & hey made me a key for door/ignition on an old Fodr for $20.00. Thats what the taxi from the airport cost me, to get TO the car. It was midnight or later & the guy only charged me $20.00! That was in 1977 or 8 tho.. Nowadays, it Might be a bit higher..
So, I learned a long time ago, make sure ya gots the keys.. & have spares.ALWays, have spares, for every key.

Oh dude, it gets better than that  Wink! My numbnuts went to work today to look for the keys. I figured the only place I didn't cover was the parking lot. So, I got out of my car, shut the door, looked for about 1/2 hour. Fished my keys out of my pocket, and they were my WORK KEYS! I locked myself out of the flamin' car.  Grin

I haven't had a streak like this since 92. My boss pulls up, and he's like, "You know it's Saturday, right?" I am sitting on the ground between my bike and my car. I told him I was having a one man motor convention.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 06/21/08 at 12:23:19

hey but the $125 for a set is about the same as $20 in 1977 - at least as far as gasoline goes - it was .65 a gal - that $20 would get you 30 gals

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/21/08 at 13:08:16

Okay, You NOW have all my sympathy!
Now, as soon as you get something running, go get a magnetic key holder & put at least a spare door key on the car.

For the bike, put a key in your billfold.

Hide a house key somewhere near home.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #13 - 06/21/08 at 14:45:04

Hey if you find the set you lost see if my keys are with them. I was lucky and they first thing I did when i got the bike was make spares for everyone in my house who could drive me a set.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #14 - 06/21/08 at 15:34:23

Good luck getting copies made at Lowes, Wallys, Kfart, anywhere....no one here could do duplicate motorcycle keys, not even the dealership!

I have two sets of MC keys. One MC set stays at home.

I have three keychains:

One set is the MC keys, the bike chain lock key, and a key to get in the back gate of my house.

One is the car keys with the spare bike chain lock key. (gathering dust for months now)

One is the house keys. (I got tired of switching them on-off the MC vs car set).

And I have a valet car key in my wallet all the time.

So no matter which one set gets lost, I'm never really screwed - there is always another way!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:09:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bonehead Lost Keys

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.