Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
holes in underside of stock muffler (Read 131 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
holes in underside of stock muffler
06/20/08 at 20:32:07

I have been franticly trying to seal off any leak from the joint where the muffler meets the head pipe.  Tonight it seemed to me that the air I feel is coming from the holes in the underside of the stock muffler.  There are around 4-6 1/2 inch holes on the bottom and rear of the muffler under the chrome cover.  The holes are there from the factory in the design of the muffler.  What are the holes for?  Should I be able to feel airflow from them?

In the auction below you can see 2 of the holes just under the cover plate.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Savage-muffler-stock-1997-LS650_W0QQcmd...

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Re: holes in underside of stock muffler
Reply #1 - 06/20/08 at 22:32:31

They are part of a heat shield that is built into the muffler.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #2 - 06/21/08 at 04:53:44

Should I be able to feel air coming out of them?  It's not nearly a much as comes out of the back of the muffler, but I can always feel some air.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 06/21/08 at 05:45:19

A lot of stock mufflers, including the ones on cars and trucks, have small holes in the bottom. They are water drains. Burning a gallon of gasoline produces over a gallon of water, believe it or not. That water condenses in cool exhaust pipes (startup or cold weather) and will cause rust. That's why exhaust pipes rust out from the inside. That's one of the reasons why starting the engine and letting it idle for a few minutes in winter isn't a good idea. Some of the water (remember, it's steam in the cylinder) gets past the rings and into the engine oil. The only way to get it out is to run the engine until it is completely warmed up - which also warms the exhaust and gets the water out of it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #4 - 06/21/08 at 08:20:37

Charon wrote on 06/21/08 at 05:45:19:
A lot of stock mufflers, including the ones on cars and trucks, have small holes in the bottom. They are water drains. Burning a gallon of gasoline produces over a gallon of water, believe it or not. That water condenses in cool exhaust pipes (startup or cold weather) and will cause rust. That's why exhaust pipes rust out from the inside. That's one of the reasons why starting the engine and letting it idle for a few minutes in winter isn't a good idea. Some of the water (remember, it's steam in the cylinder) gets past the rings and into the engine oil. The only way to get it out is to run the engine until it is completely warmed up - which also warms the exhaust and gets the water out of it.

Thats only true with catalyzed exhausts.  Its not only the water that causes the corrosion, but also the sulfur dioxide that is present in the exhaust gasses.  It mixes with the water and produces sulfuric acid, which speeds the corrosion process.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 06/21/08 at 11:12:33

Catalytic converters do two things. One, they "finish" burning unburned fuel, usually carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. Two, they reduce nitrous oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen. They have no effect on the water or on the sulfur oxides.

Sulphur is present in almost all petroleum fuels, and most of it is refined out. The remainder turns into sulphur oxide (two forms, both gaseous). Some gets into the crankcase, where it will combine with any water present and form sulphurous or sulphuric acid. Oil has some alkali in it to counter this (and other) acids. The majority goes out the exhaust pipe, unless liquid water is present (cold pipe), in which case some combines with the water and forms acid. As a matter of interest,  carbon dioxide also combines with liquid water, forming carbonic acid, also corrosive. Carbonic acid is present in all carbonated beverages.

That water is formed when gasoline is burned in air is beyond dispute. Gasoline is a hydrocarbon, meaning it consists of hydrogen and carbon. When completely burned in air (actually, oxygen) it produces oxides of hydrogen and carbon - specifically, water and carbon dioxide. Temperatures in the engine sylinder are high enough that the water remains vaporized - steam. When that steam hits a cold exhaust system, it condenses into liquid water. Observe the exhaust pipe of a car (with or without a catalytic converter) on a cold day and see the water dripping out. Ever wonder where it came from? Now you know.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 06/21/08 at 17:32:34

KeithT,
I have the same holes making the same little puff, puff, puff.  So I just ripped the back end out of the muffler, gutted the thing, drilled a bunch of holes, and put the back plate back on.  Now I can't hear them anymore, and it's too dang loud to get down there and feel for them.  Problem solved.

I don't know about water and acid and such.  My personal belief is that those are horsepower vents.  Without them, the bike would be much too studly for a guy like me to ride.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #7 - 06/28/08 at 11:27:51

I noticed a couple of days ago that my stock muffler is leaking in the exact same place you described. I feel a fair amount of air coming from the hole area, Not the pipe joint.
I too thought it was coming from the pipe joint and i replaced the soft seal where the 2 slide together, No change at all.. I'm looking into a new muffler now..
Mines a 05, S-40 with 3600 miles on it..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:24:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › holes in underside of stock muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.