Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Opinions Needed re: '07 S40 (Read 495 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Opinions Needed re: '07 S40
06/20/08 at 10:54:08

Need some opinions from some of our more mechanically inclined Members please … phoned about an ’07 S40 for sale locally yesterday evening and quizzed the owner with the usual bout mileage (3200kms = 1988mi), condition (excellent mechanically & cosmetically … except where the owners rain pants had burned onto the muffler), maintenance history … and here’s where I went hmmmmm?? Asked the owner if the Bike had had regular maintenance, service, oil changes, etc. She tells me no, the Bike had never been back to the dealer at all during the warranty period (which expired this past April) and the Bike has yet to have an oil change. I mention to her that the  initial 1000km (600mi) warranty check and oil change is THE most important service one can do on a new motorcycle! She just kinda poo poo’d that observation as being too picky. I then asked her if her asking price ($5000CDN) was flexible and she said NO!!

In the opinion of the wrench-heads here, has this lack of initial service (and especially the lack of the 1st oil change) caused damage or compromised the longevity of this Bike’s engine?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: Opinions Needed '07 S40
Reply #1 - 06/20/08 at 11:03:05

When I talked to the one Suzuki dealer about my initial service (I was going between the one I purchased my bike from and one that is a little closer to me, the opposite way), the one said that the initial service should be done between 600 and 1000 miles.

With that said, it's still WAY over for her bike.

Have you looked at a new bike? The dealer that I bought mine from cut a couple hundred $$ off the price because it was a 2007 leftover.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 06/20/08 at 11:07:40

Does she seem the type to hot rod around town??   I'm not sure how you could word it in a conversation but you should probably find out if she was the only rider or if "friends" took it for rides too.  I've noticed that "friends" have a tendency to see how far they can push the bike....

As for mechanical issues:

Isn't the valve adjustment one of the big reasons for the first maintenance???  Don't they get sloppier?  Dosen't sloppy valve (wide gap) mean less power?  If so, you should be ok.  If I have it backwards and they tighten up, then ask for her to meet you at your MC shop for compression tests.  

As for oil,  you should be ok.    It's a one year old bike in Canada.  You get what , 4 or 5 months of riding.....  Definitely an Oil change & filter are due...

Is $5K CDN a good price there?????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/20/08 at 11:11:32

Wouldnt loose valves create a Smack for the adjuster on the valve? Could it get mushroomed? Work hardened/brittle?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/20/08 at 11:26:21

couple of points to ponder...

She obviously doesn't give a sh!t about maintenance.  Didn't do 1st maitenance, didn't even do oil change.

She obviously doesn't want to dicker.
What's blue book in Canadian?
1st service is expensive, ask you dealer for cost and deduct it from BB.
Is she don't go with that, turn around phart and leave.
If she's not willing to deal, you're better off buying new.  Or at least somewhere else.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 06/20/08 at 11:29:56

Yup, a valve adjust is supposed to be carried out during the 1st 600-1000mi warranty service ... but I've heard not many dealerships actually do it (have heard that about the local 'zuki stealer) ...

No new left-over '07's remaining up here ... this Bike was bought new by the owner in April '07 ... Canadian MSRP on new '08 LS650s is $6200CDN (was $6099CDN when I bought my '03 in Aug. of that year) ... I really dunno if $5000CDN is too much or not for a used '07?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 06/20/08 at 13:03:05

I sold my '92 and just bought a used '07 with 3,300KM on it. Paid $4300 and it is in excellent condition, dealer serviced. My local dealer wanted $7200.00 for a new '08 - $5700 + PDI, Freight, +taxes.  There are dealers in Ontario that are selling '08's for $5200 and one in Ottawa that has a demo for $4999.00 with a full warranty. That's the best price I have seen.

$5000.00 is steep without the 1st service having been done. Ask how much she paid for it - all in.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
craigq
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, ON
Reply #7 - 06/20/08 at 13:16:43

Mr. Hyde wrote on 06/20/08 at 13:03:05:
There are dealers in Ontario that are selling '08's for $5200 and one in Ottawa that has a demo for $4999.00 with a full warranty. That's the best price I have seen.  

I just bought my new 2008 S40 from the same dealer, $5,399.00 plus GST/PST; the used 2008 S40 at $4,999 is still there. Nice point about this dealer is there's no FRT/PDI charges, or "documentation fee" as the license bureau is just down the street from them and they encourage you to go do it yourself  Smiley

IMO $5,000 is a little steep, especially with zero maintenance history...

« Last Edit: 06/20/08 at 18:37:27 by craigq »  

2009 WR250R/X
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #8 - 06/20/08 at 13:47:49

From her $5000C:

Subtract the maintence costs that she did not do, add in the cost of you having to do the oil change plus clean the plug, and all other items that have clogged up, and then give her that figure.
(My estimate was $3400C not including any needed new parts.)

If she refuses to budge, that $5K is paying for something else; like maybe the repair bill for her CAR that she never got the oil changed in... Tongue

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #9 - 06/20/08 at 16:38:10

I would not worry about oil or valve adjustments on the bike with that little mileage. If the general condition looks very good to good and the bike does not rattle. Just  offer here a number that you will buy it for as is where is, and maybe she'll counteroffer. Then try to find an acceptable medium. If she refuses, give here your phonenumber just in case she changes here mind. Let it ride a couple of days and if she does not call, CALL here and ask if she still wants to sell cause you're about to buy a bike somewhere else which is true if you're really looking for a bike. Realizing this might be her last and only chance she might be more willing to negotiate. If not walk away Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #10 - 06/20/08 at 17:41:22

i agree with vtail on this one. if this were to cause damage (i'm not saying it cant) youd think there would be alot more junk bikes for sale, not old junk either, new junk. i'm sure alot of new owners don't go back in for the first service. and if its free i'm sure the dealerships arent calling and reminding them.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
northshore_paul

Keep it
simple....less to
break!

South Louisiana
Reply #11 - 06/20/08 at 18:05:52

I don't know about Canadian prices...but that seems kind of steep to me. On Ebay and cycle trader you can see fairly low mileage bikes for a good price, definitely cheaper than that even if you throw in the freight! I got a '06 with only 750 miles in primo condition with some mods that I would jump at selling for her price...even $3800 USD would be a good deal for both parties. So all I am saying is keep looking you are sure to find a better price.

IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #12 - 06/20/08 at 18:21:05

Currently the US Dollar and the Canadian Dollar are trading on par .  1 for 1.

You can buy a brand new one in Seattle from a dealer for $3900 according to posts on this forum.  Not sure what you would pay in taxes getting it across the border but that price seems way high to me.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/20/08 at 20:08:40

According to this website http://www.x-rates.com/ ,
the US dollar is equal to 1.0173 CAD. $5000 seems a little steep, unless you're in LOVE with the bike.

NO oil change, no maitenence, no deal.
Do as has been suggested, offer her fair market value for THAT bike in THAT condition, and leave your number when she says "No".  Also doesn't hurt to have cash. $3500 waved in front of her nose might soften her convictions.

It might be a stretch getting to the states, but I got my '08 for $4700 US OTD!! Import taxes and distance might  make it prohibitive; but it sounds to me that there are too many other options to have to go with this chick.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 06/21/08 at 02:35:46

Hmmm ... all thoughts to ponder ... and I really appreciate all of your input!

With the Kanuck buck and the Yankee greenback essentially on par, it blows my mind that there is still a significant difference between Canadian and American MSRPs for vehicles ... I know we don't have the volume of market up here that you guys in the U.S. do, but we shouldn't have to pay $1.5K-$2.0K more for an equivalent m/c!!

Seen some delicious deals on late model, low milage LS650s of flea-bay in the U.S. (also EX250 Ninja's ... which look like a really COOL little Bike!) ... it's a lot easier to import a Bike into Canada from the U.S. nowadays than it used to be ... but for me is not feasible because of shipping $ and/or travel distances involved ...

The deals you 2 Ontarians got at the Ottawa dealership were great! A bit far again for me ... Halifax, N.S. is about the limit to make picking up a Bike out of Province worthwhile ...

Agreed, $5K seems steep for the local '07 ... esp. since she's somewhat neglected it!

Still looking!!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:29:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Opinions Needed re: '07 S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.