Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Opinions Needed re: '07 S40 (Read 495 times)
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Re: Opinions Needed '07 S40
Reply #15 - 06/21/08 at 04:44:57

PerrydaSavage wrote on 06/21/08 at 02:35:46:
The deals you 2 Ontarians got at the Ottawa dealership were great! A bit far again for me ... Halifax, N.S. is about the limit to make picking up a Bike out of Province worthwhile ...

My mapping program shows about 660 miles and 12 hours road time between Ottawa and Halifax.  There's also a ferry ride from Bar Harbor Maine to Yarmouth N.S.  It also includes what looks to be a nice (non-slab) ride across Maine.

So...  Fly out, ride back.  Make a long weekend, or even a week of it.  The money you save on the bike should pay for a really nice ride!

Let's see:

Day 1:  Fly in -- early flight so you can spend the day at the dealer's and get some shakedown time on the new bike.  Stay in Ottawa.

Day 2:  See Ottawa.  Be sure the dealer saves some time for you at the end of the day in case anything needs adjusting.  Then head to Montreal for a late French dinner -- it's only a couple of hours ride and the summer days are long!

Day 3:  Enjoy Montreal!  

Day 4:  It's about 360 miles to Bar Harbor Maine.  Six hours riding time, but there's a border crossing and no big hurry, so make a day of it.  There's only one section of super-slab (I-95 into Bangor Maine) and it can be avoided by using Highway 2.  Lots of twisties till then -- enjoy!  Oh yeah, Bar Harbor is beautiful, from what I hear.

Day 5:  Ferry ride to Yarmouth Nova Scotia and you're home!

There, see how easy it is when other folks run your life for you!   Cheesy

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #16 - 06/21/08 at 06:00:21

Thanks for that drharveys!! But ... I'm in St. John's, Newfoundland ... which according to Google Maps is 2733km (1700mi) from Ottawa ... to travel for a "deal", it's probably feasible to go to Halifax, but likely no further ...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Thanks just the same ... that road trip you outlined sounds really nice though!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
craigq
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, ON
Reply #17 - 06/21/08 at 06:54:36

PerrydaSavage wrote on 06/21/08 at 02:35:46:
(also EX250 Ninja's ... which look like a really COOL little Bike!)

Sorry for the OT:

They are a nice bike, at least the ZZR250 was that I had as my first ride, except for the stumbling in the cold/damp weather which is due to the cold-blodded nature and carbs; if they ever get around to giving us EFI I'm sure it would be a different story.

They're an upright ride, more of a "standard" than a "sport bike", get nice fuel economy, and can accelerate with traffic just fine (they like to rev  Grin ). I prefer the ZZR style over the newly redesigned Ninja, although the shims for the valve clearance adjustment might be nicer than screw-type adjusters until they require replacement...

2009 WR250R/X
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #18 - 06/21/08 at 15:26:29

No apologies req'd for the O.T. craig ... the EX250 is a VERY rare machine here in eastern Canada ... but I've got a bead on one in Halifax, N.S. and Saint John N.B. (NOT St. John's, Nfld. LOL!!) ... both U.S. imports ... one with 800mi and one with 600mi and both less than $3500CDN ... I'm a Savager at heart, but I cannot help but be intrigued by these U.S. "baby" Ninja's ... which BTW are puttin' out about the same HP as our beloved LS650s!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/21/08 at 16:32:29

a 250 ninja would fit in my life easy enough. Ive almost bought one a couple of times. SOME day, I will..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #20 - 06/21/08 at 18:25:13

Let's see, according to Microsoft Streets and Trips it's 18 hours of road time from Ottawa to the Argentia/North Sydney ferry, then another hour and forty minutes more to St. John's.  You'll go through Montreal and Quebec, and the run from Riviere-du-Loup to North Sydney looking like a great motorcycle road.

The times work out:

Day 1
Fly to Ottawa, get bike.

Day 2
Shakedown ride in and around Ottawa, final visit to dealer & thence to Montreal.

Day 3
Montreal

Day 4
Quebec
It's just under three hours from Montreal to Quebec so you'll have a full day of sightseeing whether you sleep in Montreal and get an early start, stop somewhere cheap in between, or finish day 3 going to Quebec.

Day 5
If you leave from Quebec, it's 13 road hours to North Sydney.  Be smart, ride a few hours from Quebec at the end of Day 4 so you can enjoy a great day's ride!

Day 6
Ferry ride, then two hours ride home!

I think I just worked out a great vacation loop ride starting in Ottawa or Montreal!  One leg to St. John's, then to Halifax, Yarmouth and back.  About 40 road hours, plus whatever time you want to spend riding locally in Newfie and Nova Scotia!  Figure a two week vacation and it's doable.

Better still, what a nice ride to celebrate retirement!   Grin

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #21 - 06/21/08 at 19:14:55

drharveys - FSO wrote on 06/21/08 at 18:25:13:
Let's see, .........

Day 1 .......
Day 2  .......
Day 3  ........
Day 4  .......
Day 5  ........
Day 6    .......

Sounds like a nice idea, if the bike was a deal.  

Sounds like it not.....   Tongue

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #22 - 06/21/08 at 21:59:09

I looked at the baby Ninja at the same time I was researching the Savage. It is a great bike. Stellar performance and fuel economy. What tripped things in the Savage's favor was the maintenance. There's a lot of tuperware that has to come off in order to do basic maintenance on the bike. You think it's a hassle having to take off the seat and gas tank to check a spark plug? Try doing some PM on the 250 Ninja.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #23 - 06/21/08 at 22:22:36

It's amazing how quickly you can map out a two week ride using these programs!  That's a great loop either from Ottawa or Montreal, and I have some distant relatives in Montreal I could leave the truck & trailer with.

Only problem is getting away for two weeks in a row!  I can do long weekends easily enough, and the occasional week isn't too hard, but two whole weeks tends to mess things up at the office!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #24 - 06/22/08 at 02:48:44

That's a great trip ya got mapped out dr ... would love to be able to do it ... but like you, getting time off work is difficult ... haven't had a proper vacation in 9 years ... Sad

Agree ... while the baby Ninja would make a great commuter/lite tourer, I honestly dunno if I'd have the patience to be bothering with all that plastic in order to do routine maintenance!

WWW   IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #25 - 06/22/08 at 06:06:12

Perry - there's a guy who lives in Oshawa (Toronto) who routinely travels from Toronto to the Maritimes hauling a trailer with his pick up truck. He moves student furniture or anything else he can book along the 401 corridor. I was interested in a savage on your side of Montreal and he quoted me a price of about $125 to pick it up (it was off his beaten path) and deliver it to me in Kingston, Ontario for $125.00.

This really opens up the places you can search for a new bike. If you would like his e-mail address send me a PM.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #26 - 06/22/08 at 06:46:44

I did a search on canadatrader.com and found a 'new' 2007 SUZUKI S40 at a dealer in Amherst NS. They're asking $5,999.00 which is a little steep but it comes with a full warranty and some accessories.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #27 - 06/22/08 at 08:57:05

Holy Cow Perry, that's a lot of money! And your dollar is worth more than the US dollar now.
How much does it cost to import a bike into Canada? You could fly down to Maine, pick up a bike and ride it back to NFL for the savings no?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #28 - 06/22/08 at 11:34:52

Bangor Maine to St. John's -- 12 hours road time, plus the ferry ride.
Ferry is M-W-F, and the Friday ferry leaves at 3:30 PM so you can sleep on it!

You can probably save about $1000 over the Canadian prices, so that'll cover gas, licensing and the ferry ride!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #29 - 06/23/08 at 02:16:39

Thanks for all the input folks ... already have an '05 LS650 lined up ... in Sprindale, NL ... 522km (350mi) from my home in St. John's ... am getting a coach out to pick it up on Friday!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:12:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Opinions Needed re: '07 S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.