Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to tighten muffler bracket (Read 153 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
How to tighten muffler bracket
06/20/08 at 06:38:47

A few weeks ago I loosened my stock muffler and then re tightened it.  Since then it has been backfiring when decelerating.  I have read this is indicative of an exhaust leak.  I can feel some exhaust leaking from where the muffler connects to the header pipe.  The clamp can either be positioned at the very edge of the muffler or about 1/4 inch up the muffler.  What is the right position?  I have it in the 1/4 inch up position now and have it tightened as tight as I can.  I'm afraid that if I go much tighter I will break the bolt.  Any other tips to get the muffler to seal properly?

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Re: How to tighten muffler bracket
Reply #1 - 06/20/08 at 06:55:37

I searched and found some tips that said to make sure the muffler is full on the head pipe and to put the clamp over the end of the muffler.  I'll do that tonight.  Any other tips?  Is the crush gasket likely to be bad?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 06/20/08 at 10:50:13

My stock clamp was a bit rusted and seemed to bottom out.

Sooooo... I went to the hardware store ,with it in hand, and got a case hardned 8 bolt (plus a nut) almost the same size but with more threads. I had to drill out the threaded part of the clamp.   Now I can toruqe it down with out fear of stripping the threads.  If I break the bolt, all I have to do is run down to the store again....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 06/20/08 at 13:03:40

Lots of folks swear the stock H-D clamps are a lot stronger. I haven't had a lot of luck getting any clamp to seal really good. Best I've done with clamps is old automotive U-bolt muffler clamps. In one case I gave up and resorted to welding the exhaust into a one-piece. Tig welded, absolutely positively will not leak. Of course all of these exhaust systems are not the stock muffler. You'd think you could get that one back on without it leaking...  Wink

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #4 - 06/27/08 at 08:48:19

Any idea as to how to remove the muffler gasket? Tryin to install a hd muffler but its getting the best of me. Doesnt slide all the way up.  Undecided Helllp  Undecided

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #5 - 06/27/08 at 16:52:26

I just put a Dyna take-off on my 95.  The Dyna just doesn't slide up all the way to the shoulder of the header pipe - or at least I couldn't get it up there.  It leaked the first time I tried.  I added some aluminum gasket between the Dyna and pipe and clamped it down with the HD clamp that came with it.  Second time was a charm, no leaks that I can find.  Just keep at it.

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/27/08 at 22:03:04

Staplebox wrote on 06/27/08 at 16:52:26:
I just put a Dyna take-off on my 95.  The Dyna just doesn't slide up all the way to the shoulder of the header pipe - or at least I couldn't get it up there.  It leaked the first time I tried.  I added some aluminum gasket between the Dyna and pipe and clamped it down with the HD clamp that came with it.  Second time was a charm, no leaks that I can find.  Just keep at it.

Great news ok thank you... thats where is was sooo confused because the instructions said something about some copper to take off if it doesnt slide up.... I was thinking to the shoulder.... WOOOO! Ill be riding again tomorrow!!!
Wink

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/28/08 at 00:04:30

Ok! yes it is 3am here but i have my exhaust hooked up! ... man .... i wish i could slip it out an take a drive.. just to see ya know... if all is ok... but i have to be at work at 1300 tomorrow... oh well... a little shuteye ... alot of smiles tomorow  Cool

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/28/08 at 08:17:14

so...wrapped 2 strips of labatt aluminum over the header pipe. no exhaust leak...OH sounds wonderful and NO backfires anymore...just some blurple blurple pooo bop sounds ..... WOOO! This bike has come to life baby!!!!

150 main  - KN drop in - Dyna - No white spacer - Lots of JOY  Cool Cool

2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #9 - 06/28/08 at 15:19:49

i would also try some high temp gasket maker from autozone that is what i used and it sealed very nicely .

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:22:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to tighten muffler bracket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.