Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine Guard/Highway Pegs (Read 469 times)
ilmorescue
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Belleville, IL
Engine Guard/Highway Pegs
06/18/08 at 10:40:59

I just bought a 2000 Suzuki Savage on Sunday. It was an hour-and-a-half drive getting it home, which emphasized how nice it would be to have highway pegs. Anyone know where to get an engine guard and pegs to fit 'er?

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Engine Guard/Highway Pegs
Reply #1 - 06/18/08 at 10:54:18

The engine guard is a Suziki OEM accessory.  If it's an hour and a half ride to the dealership, I'd suggest having it shipped to your home.

As for pegs, and 1" clamp-on style pegs will work.  I have a set of Kuryakyn ISO dually pegs with a 4" offset clamped onto mine.  They allow me extra leg room and an extra degree of adjustability.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #2 - 06/18/08 at 12:06:49

In my opinion, Kuryakyn is the way to go.  The have some offset longhorns (7980 I think) that would work great.  Really though, you should bear in mind that the OEM "engine guard" is pretty lame.  If I could do it all over again, I'd never have bought that ridiculous little thing.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Reply #3 - 06/18/08 at 12:35:12

You made me smile, RPG.  The engine guards are really little things.  My were on the bike when I bought it; they are so small I wonder if they will work in saving the fender from getting all banged up if I were to drop it.
Shocked
hd

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 06/18/08 at 13:03:48

I think they add a little bit of character to the bike... I know for the price, I'm going to add one to mine when I have the extra $$... Plus, it's necessary for pegs, unless you want to run forward controls.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #5 - 06/18/08 at 13:21:53

When I got it and opened up the package, I was so unbelievably mad that I started laughing!  There is even a disclaimer on the package that it doesn't provide any protection and is for decoration only. ha ha  I would much rather have paid a little more and got a real one.  Looking back, I'm pretty ashamed of myself for not sending it back right then.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #6 - 06/18/08 at 13:22:53

RPG - Remove it and sell it to me... You can put that towards your next one. Wink

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #7 - 06/18/08 at 13:24:20

Now that is tempting.....I may be PM'ing you later.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 06/18/08 at 13:32:09

In my opinion....their is a difference between Engine Guards and Highway Bars....

The engine guard is suppose to protect the Engine only...right?(or so I've been told)

And is that beneficial? Does it help to protect the engine? or in dropping a bike would the engine already be protected by the foot pegs,handlebars,etc?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #9 - 06/18/08 at 13:36:13

I consider the Wingerline....Highway Bars! They make them for the Savage/S40. Much wider,more useful.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #10 - 06/18/08 at 13:52:47

I have the OEM suzuki "engine guard". But I got it as a highway peg anchor point. It serves that purpose just fine. Along with the Kuryakyn dually offsets, it makes a nice set up. By the way, My bike got knocked over by someone backing into it at work. I didn't have any kind of guard on it at the time and the only thing that got damaged was a small scrape on the left footpeg, and a few scratches on the handlebar end cap and clutch lever(saddlebags saved the rear turn signal).

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #11 - 06/18/08 at 13:59:32

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 06/18/08 at 13:52:47:
I have the OEM suzuki "engine guard". But I got it as a highway peg anchor point. It serves that purpose just fine. Along with the Kuryakyn dually offsets, it makes a nice set up. By the way, My bike got knocked over by someone backing into it at work. I didn't have any kind of guard on it at the time and the only thing that got damaged was a small scrape on the left footpeg, and a few scratches on the handlebar end cap and clutch lever(saddlebags saved the rear turn signal).

AL

Yes,they are fine  ,(if adding the offsets and highway pegs),didnt mean to say otherwise,sorry!

I just like the Wingerline and it seems once you add the offsets and pegs,they are just as pricey as the Wingerline or almost.

(I need to hush and go drink more coffee....I dont feel I'm making sense Wink

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #12 - 05/16/14 at 16:46:13

I finally got my engine guard and highway pegs installed.  It was more difficult than it looks.  I needed an extra pair of hands to attach the two bottom U bolts, and then we discovered that there is absolutely no way to use the included lock nuts and washers on the bottom U bolts.  The bottom U bolts just aren't long enough to mount more than the nut.  I'm considering taking them off and using thread lock.  We'll see if they hold up as is.  As for the foot pegs, I just did not have the strength to tighten them down to the point they would not rotate forward.  My husband put everything he had into it, and they seem to be holding up as long as I don't kick them too hard.  I might go to muffler shop and get them spot welded.

S40_legrest.jpg

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #13 - 05/16/14 at 20:25:29

I adapted a set off of a Honda rebel...for the wife's bike... they are really wide.... and not WHIMPY...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/16/14 at 23:53:08

Use a set for a wishbone Harley Davidson Panhead or Knucklehead rigid frame. Cut off the two outer holes on the upper mount, replace your front engine mounting bolt with Grade 5 equivalent stainless steel all thread. Replace the center engine mount with the same stuff, and use a washer or two as a spacer so the peg mounts are square to the frame. The engine guard is wide enough that you can work the shifter and brake pedal with a bit of room to spare (barely).

The stock engine guard is a piece of junk. Soft chromed instead of hard chromed. The chrome is peeling off mine in sheets, I may just cut it in half and make a set of dresser bars (saddlebag crash bars) for my friend's Drifter out of it, and epoxy paint them black after a good Easy Off oven cleaner etching...

They were on the bike when I bought it, I know better than to run Suzuki accessories out of my own wallet...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:41:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Guard/Highway Pegs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.