Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help! Cold natured savage (Read 126 times)
jaydaclaude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help! Cold natured savage
06/18/08 at 07:05:43

I have a 96 savage it starts easily but after a few seconds it dies and once I start riding it dies at stop signs and red lights but after 10 to 15 min. of riding it runs great.  Someone suggested I remove the white spacer from the carb.  Is this a good idea and Im open to any suggestions.       Thanx

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Help! Cold natured savage
Reply #1 - 06/18/08 at 08:37:10

Are you using choke?  If you are and it still dies at idle, maybe just raise the idle speed a little.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 06/18/08 at 09:05:59

sounds like the idle mixture could use a little richer as well - is the carb stock - as in the brass plug is still in place over the mixture screw?

IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #3 - 06/18/08 at 12:47:11

I just assume mine is a cold blooded beast.  She needs to warm up quite a bit too, so I try to give her that time. Smiley

A quicker method would be great for leaving work, though.  Who wants to hang around for another 10 minutes at the end of a shift?  Tongue

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 06/18/08 at 15:04:57

my bike has always been a hard starter, but if i turn the petcock to prime, pull the choke knob out all the way, wait a few seconds then thumb the button, it usually starts right up. of course that was before i got the mikuni from lancer, now i just thumb the button Grin

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/18/08 at 20:30:05

Mine tends to be a bit cold natured as well. I put the choke to first positin, and let it idle as I put on my gear; then ride with it out for the first 1/2 mile or so. That seems to do the trick.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
jaydaclaude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/19/08 at 06:04:55

Thanks for all the suggetions.  Today I increased the idle speed and I decided to ride for the first mile or so with the fuel switch in prime, worked like a charm.  Thanks again.  Smiley

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 06/19/08 at 06:13:23

Yep,  Idle speed is the cuprit.  Since the bike is fairly simple design, you sometimes have to manually compenste to the weather.

Do you have a Tach??  I use mine to set the idle at around 1000 at cold start up.  Then the bike usually gets up to 1200 when it warms up.

Warning,  remember the bike is a Low oil pressure bike.  With an idle less than 1000, (800-900 ... the sounds cool spot....  Wink )  the oil pressure at idle drops below 2 psig.  That's not too good for the cam journal......  Sad

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:27:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help! Cold natured savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.