mechanical question (Read 235 times)
1track
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

mechanical question
06/17/08 at 14:59:25

Hi,

I have a '98 savage that I bought used a couple years ago.  I don't put many miles on it, so the only maintenance I have done is change the oil.  The bike currently has ~10,000 miles total.

Friday I got a flat (puncture) so I brought it into a local dealer to get a new rear tire put on.  I just got a voicemail from the shop saying "We replaced your rear tire, but the problem is we can't tighten your drive belt.  The drive sprocket is badly, badly worn, affecting the output shaft on the engine.  Give us a call so we can talk about the options."

I'm not very mechanical, but I am wondering what this means, how it cold have happened, and how I could have been driving around with no apparent symptoms on something that is soo broken that they can't put my bike back together.

Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

Thanks!  Undecided

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: mechanical question
Reply #1 - 06/17/08 at 16:06:08

You should look at it, you should be able to tell if it is worn if it looks worn bad it does need replacing,or it could wear out the belt faster than normal.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
1track
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/17/08 at 16:54:12

Any idea if this would be an expensive repair?  I haven't actually talked to the guy yet, just heard his voicemail.

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/17/08 at 17:06:15

My guess is that the nut on the drive pulley was loose (it happens) and the the drive pulley was working back and forth untill the splines are about to shear off.  And you'll need to replace the drive pulley.

WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #4 - 06/17/08 at 17:34:37

You'll need a new drive pulley for sure. Hopefully the splines on the drive shaft are not too worn. I had the same problem but my driveshaft splines were getting bad. I bought new pulley and used JB Weld on the splines, and so far it's holding up after 2000 miles . A new pulley will run about $70 if I recall. I dood it myself. I don't even want to think about what replacing the driveshaft would run you.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
1track
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/18/08 at 06:33:36

Good call on your diagnosis.  I just talked to the mechanic and it is exactly what you described.  He quoted the same $70 for the sprocket, told me he would see if it will torque down properly, use the JB weld if necessary and see how it goes.  He told me if I wanted to replace the shaft it would probably cost more than the bike is worth.  I guess we'll see how it goes.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 06/19/08 at 08:24:52

1track wrote on 06/18/08 at 06:33:36:
 He told me if I wanted to replace the shaft it would probably cost more than the bike is worth.  

Yep,  replacing that shaft requires splitting the case, which means pulling the cylinder off, which requires a re-hone and should have rings replaced.  New gaskets all around too.

Pray that the "sacrifical" soft metal of the pulley didn't chew up your hardened metal of the shaft.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 06/19/08 at 09:50:51

theres a photo of the front pully posted just yesterday or so shows the shaft okay but the teeth of the pully toasted...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
1track
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/19/08 at 16:43:16

What thread was that posted on?  I'm curious to see it.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #9 - 06/19/08 at 17:17:58

1track wrote on 06/19/08 at 16:43:16:
What thread was that posted on?  I'm curious to see it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1213810023
Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:21:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › mechanical question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.